are you doing pre-marital counseling

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 b2b2011

• 58 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:36 PM

Me and my fiance both agreed that this was something important for us to do so, we are doing it through two different places. One through our church, so it will be religion based and one through a local company that is not religion based. I will let you guys know the difference once we have finished them.

#22 lisa203

• 681 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:55 PM

We're thinking about it. If we got married at our church at home I think we would have had to and I don't think it could be all that bad.

#23 vlynnw

• 6,003 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:25 PM

We both think it is a good idea. Now I just have to figure out where to go. I told him I wanted to go through a Church as I'm religious and he is not at all, but he does agree....mostly because they are usually free, lol. If I don't find anything though we'll be getting the workbooks to go through.
        Veronica & Adam - May 6, 2011 - Dreams Tulum

#24 SunnyDBride

• 44 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:03 PM

We are both very strong in our faith in Christ and it is very important to us to do it. There was never a question about it, we both are completely on the same page and already talked to my new pastor about it. He's in the Army and is at an Army post right now, but he is able to come home some weekends. He is a member of another church and sometimes we visit each, but he really likes the new pastor of my church and is totally fine with us having the counseling with him.

It is really a wise investment into a marriage to start off on solid footing and have a good understanding of different things that may arise so that you can be aware and take precautions to avoid some of the pitfalls others may fall into. To each his/her own, but I would never get married without having pre-marital counseling. Anything to help ensure that we have a stronger, healthier marriage is most welcomed!

#25 hockeymom97

• 2,458 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:34 AM

Since neither of us are really religious I had never even thought about counseling until I saw this thread...but now you girls have me thinking that it may not be a bad idea.
            Heather & Eric ~ May 5th, 2011 ~ Beaches Turks & Caicos

#26 Sax Lady

Sax Lady
            • 265 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:24 PM

We want to but because we dont stay in the same country we talked about doing it after the wedding I know it wont be the same but I think it will still be good for us.

#27 clairelouise

• 16 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:23 PM

I've never even thought about it. We've lived together for 3 years already which for me is the most important thing.

#28 KD2011

• 11 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:52 PM

I have been thinking about the benifits...it sounds like a pretty good idea. Now I have to convince my fiance ;)

#29 helen9

• 156 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:40 PM

im still undecided on this. will wait til closer to the date and decide then. FH will be against it i'm sure

#30 amymack

• 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:24 AM

My fiance and I went through an 8 week pre-marriage course at a local church. After 5 couples that we knew went through the course, they all had amazing things to say about it. The course is designed for seriously dating OR engaged couples and was by far the BEST thing we did. We were not actually engaged during the class, which is ok by them, because they are there to guide you to the point where you make the best decisions. Although I THOUGHT I knew my fiance well, this class opened our eyes to new things that we hadnt really sat down and hashed out. We even know married couples that have sat in on the class just to strengthen their relationships.

I definitely recommend meeting with either a group, pastor, counselor (for non-religious) or an established married couple to get things out in the open and expectations shared.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users