Photo

DIY Luminaries

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 sarafish81

sarafish81
  • 353 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:36 PM

I found this link yesterday and I thought, here is something I can do!

Instructions for Luminaries Weddingbee The Wedding Blog

One of our wedding favors is a package of beach cookie cutters, so I was going to use our set (because I always ordered one extra of everything for me!) as the tempates for the luminaries. We've got palm trees, dolphins, seashells, and one more I can't think of right now. I was hoping to get some orange and pink bags and have them as centrepieces for our reception tables. Anyhow, it's the only DIY thing I plan on doing so I hope it works!

#2 lil_miss_frogg

lil_miss_frogg
    • 826 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:42 PM

That sounds like fun and a lotta work! Be sure to post your final product when completed!
      http://i44.tinypic.com/aemd8w.jpg
      My Babies
      "Love isn't about finding a perfect person,
      it's seeing an imperfect person perfectly!"
      http://tickers.Ticke....00ff/event.pnghttp://tickers.Ticke....JZW/weight.png

#3 kayr

kayr
      • 149 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:27 PM

Would love to have a go at these-just need to see if I can get the bags in UK. Thanks for sharing.

K.xx

#4 Jacilynda

Jacilynda
        • 2,777 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:46 PM

We are doing luminaries out on the beach leading up to our reception. I have not made them yet

#5 San Fran Sarah

San Fran Sarah
          • 173 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:51 PM

Oooooh! The stars are such a great idea! I am making luminaries too out of doilies. Here are the instructions:

PROJECT SUPPLIES:
            :Paper lunch bags
            *Any light-colored paper bag will do. Also, to add height and depth use multiple sizes
            :12-inch solid-colored doilies
            *White doilies don't show up as well, Martha recommends gold ones!
            :Ruler
            :Scalloped rotary cutter OR pinking shears (whichever is to your liking)
            :Utility knife
            :Scissors
            :Glue stick or Xyron sticker-making machine
            :Votive candles OR LED battery operated candles
            *Glass votives are a must if you use real candles and they provide a solid base
            :Utility lighter
            :Sand

1. Lay each bag flat; use a metal ruler to guide the rotary cutter or pinking shears to cut a new top edge 1 to 1.5 inch below the bag's original edge. (if you're unable to find bags of multiples sizes, cut them to varying heights using the process above)
            2. To cut doilies to fit the bag, lay a doily flat on the work surface. Lay a bag on top and mark your cut lines with pencil. Cut straight lines using a ruler and scissors or utility knife 1/8 inch from the pencil marks. The doily's slightly smaller size allows it to lay flat inside.
            3. Coat the gold/dark side of the doily generously with glue from the glue stick, or coat it with self-adhesive using the Xyron machine. Attach doily to the inside of the front of the bag, positioning it as desired. After gluing, close the bag, and run your hand firmly over the design to seal. Open the bag, and let dry at least 1 hour.
            4. Set the bag in desired location, fill the bottum with sand and then put the votive candle, in its holder, inside. Light the wick once the candle holder has been securely placed; do not carry the lit luminaria (below top).
            *For a more shadowy effect, forgo step 3 and place each doily inside the bag at an angle using just a dab of glue at the top to secure it. Lean doily forward towards the edge of the bag, avoiding the flame (below bottom).

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

#6 inunez

inunez
            • 172 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:58 PM

this is a cool idea! thanks for sharing!!

#7 melette

melette
              • 893 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:21 PM

Thanks for the post! I love DIY projects!!!
                http://i36.photobuck...ette12/mcc1.jpgFirst Dance as Mr. & Mrs 01/21/2010http://tickers.Ticke....1911/event.png

BRIDE&GROOM + 85 Family & Friends BOOKED and had a blast!

#8 missdanelle

missdanelle
                • 687 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:50 PM

I am planning on making the same ones Sarah! I think they are beautiful... I seen them on Martha Stewart and thought they would be fun!

#9 nikkib

nikkib
                  • 65 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:55 PM

I love that idea! Hope it works out well for you.

#10 K'osh

K'osh
                    • 269 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:45 AM

I'm making them as well (nice and light to carry down). I love the idea with the doilies...great idea.
                      My colours are orange and blue...if by chance I can't find bags that colour, I was thinking of putting coloured tissue paper on the inside so the objects are coloured on white bags. Just an idea if you ladies can't find the right colour bags.
                      http://tickers.Ticke....9e4d/event.png

36 people + Bride & Groom are coming to Cuba!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users