When to change my name? Pre or post DW?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lucy106

• 2,880 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:12 PM

FI and I are having our legal day next week (3 months before our DW) due to insurance issues and such. So...do I wait to change my name until we get back from our DW or since I have plenty of time do it now? I have sent our TA an email to find out what the cost would be to change my name on our travel documents but have not yet heard back. What did you all do? I was kind of thinking about doing it now because I have 3 months now but when we get back from our DW I will only have 2 months before our next trip ( dont know how long it will take to get passport back with new last name). Thanks for all of your input!

#2 ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 9,504 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:15 PM

I haven't sent my passport in yet, but have heard it takes about 3 weeks if they only have to do a name change.

I personally would wait, just to be sure. I don't know if the airline will charge you, since you are the same person and not a new guest.

We don't have our official marriage license yet but were still able to change some things, like insurance.

#3 Nrvsbride

• 5,248 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:16 PM

I would wait b/c your travel info is under your maiden name and they have to match exactly to your passport. But if your TA can change the names then maybe you want to get it done now. I just changed my name but I am not going to change my passport yet b/c I am taking a trip in Nov and want my passport to match the name on the tickets. KWIM?

#4 ACDCDCAC

• Moderators
        • 25,218 posts
        • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
        • LocationSeattle

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:17 PM

i was just checking on passport name change since i need to do that now, it looks like 4 weeks to get it back after you send it. so you probably have time now. but most airlines will change the first name on a ticket but not the last name, so you might want to wait on that, since your name on your passport and ticket MUST match exactly.

#5 niels408

• 327 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:05 PM

Glad you brought this up...my fiance & I are deciding on the same thing. Thinking I am going to wait to change name on passport until were back from DW...my luck if i did it before something would happen & I wouldn't be able to even make my own DW!!!

Good luck,

#6 lucy106

• 2,880 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:21 AM

Just FYI my TA advised the airlines do NOT allow name changes, so I guess that answers that!

#7 beachbride08

• VIP Member
            • 2,372 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:25 AM

You can change your name on your ID to submit it for work for insurance changes since they usually only allow you 30 days after the life change event to add someone to insurance. Do not change your name on your passport if you booked your airline tickets under your maiden name. The airport won't know that you changed your name on everything else if you passport name matches your tickets you will be fine.

#8 Dez921714

• 1,489 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:27 AM

If you change it (drivers license, Social Security, etc), but just not your passport and hold onto your old liscense...you should be ok...then once you get back (or back from your next trip) you'd only have to do the passport
                http://ticker.7910.o....25vdCBpbiA.gif27 Confirmed with Plane Tickets...5 with rooms booked!

150 INVITES / 6 YES / 13 NO

#9 sunset78

• 1,280 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:34 AM

This is good information to know.

#10 lucy106

• 2,880 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:34 AM

Yeah I was thinking about tell the driver's license facility that I "lost" my license so I would get a new one with my new last name and then still have my old one too just for kicks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users