• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 stacey

stacey

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:04 PM

So my FI and I sat down last night to really plan out our AHR. Apparently we have two completly diffrent views on how it should go. So far we think that we will have about 300 people and will be renting a hall. But after that we have two completly diffrent ideas. I want music and dancing, he doesnt. He wants people to show up have a drink and an appetizer and go home.

Talk to me about yours. What did you do, or going to do
    Stacey & Ely 10.14.2008

#2 boscobel

boscobel
    • VIP Member
    • 24,213 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:19 PM

We are doing the whole sha-bang. We have about 270 people, possibly more or less, since we are still in the process of calling all the people that never responded.

We hired a prof photog, a DJ, the bridal party will be wearing their clothes again. The only thing that will set this AHR apart is the fact that we will have been married for almost 2 months by then. Everything else is the same.

#3 angitalia23

angitalia23
      • 1,029 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:23 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by carly
        We are doing the whole sha-bang. We have about 270 people, possibly more or less, since we are still in the process of calling all the people that never responded.

We hired a prof photog, a DJ, the bridal party will be wearing their clothes again. The only thing that will set this AHR apart is the fact that we will have been married for almost 2 months by then. Everything else is the same.
        I second Carly's comment, we have 280 coming to ours and we are doing everything similar to our cabo wedding, dj, photographer, etc. The only thing missing will be the beach! FI did not want a big AHR at all... but when you have an italian mother that doesnt shut up about this AHR wedding like I do, you have to make her happy! lol
        Anthony & Angela
        19 June 2008

#4 jajajaja

jajajaja
        • VIP Member
        • 9,794 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:23 PM

You guys might find that by the time Oct rolls around you will be so sick of all the planning. At least that's what happened with us. We went from a whole shi-bang to a BBQ for family in the backyard. We are just waiting for our new backyard to go in. LOL
          Happily married since 2008

#5 Kristy!

Kristy!

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 6,368 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:27 PM

We're toying between a Mexican fiesta and a luau. I think we're leaning towards the luau because we want to have a pig roast. It's going to be very laid-back, not very wedding-like.

#6 boscobel

boscobel
            • VIP Member
            • 24,213 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:36 PM

Right now, I wish we hadn't chosen to do this either, but like Angela said about the Italian mother... My family is big (but Irish) and Matt's family is bigger and kinda old-school Italian, and it's mostly immigrants in the older generation. So not having a reception was just not an option. And doing something lowkey wasn't going to work with his side of the family either. The only thing I can't wait for, is the photography. Since we didn't do a prof photog in Jamaica, I can't wait to have real wedding photos!

#7 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 9,504 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:45 PM

We're doing the whole big thing a month after we return. I'm expecting between 250 and 300 guests. I have a hall, dj, florits, lighting tech, rentals, full bar, hot hd's., etc.

I'm thinking of it more as an upscale cocktail party. We'll have dancing and eating, but no specific time line. I'm not throwing a bouquet or garter. I haven't decided, but I think we will play light music during cocktails then FI and I will have a "first dance" to open the floor.

I'm having a small cake, but mainly as a centerpiece. We are doing a dessert buffet and candy bar.

I'm having a sushi bar as a surprise for FI. It's his favorite food!

The wedding party that can make it will be wearing their outfits and we will have a screen to play a DVD of the wedding and a photo montlage thingy.

Part of the reason we are having such a large scale event is because I am in the industry. So, 1) I'm getting lots of stuff free or at cost and 2) there is a certain expectation of what my "wedding" will be.

#8 EricaG

EricaG
                • 1,915 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:05 PM

We are having an AHR with the dinner and dance. It will probably be just as if we got married here but without the ceremony only being a few hours before.

I have a large family which a lot of them can't make it, and FI has a huge family which most of them won't make it. As everyone tells us they won't be able to come, they all ask if we are having a party when we come back. I also have a bunch of co-workers that would love to be there, but we can't close down the hospital so everyone can go to my DW.

My Mom is awesome at making wedding cakes, but this time she is going to help ME make it. I am super excited.

I haven't decided on whether I want a prof photog or not, but we will have the wedding DVD and slideshow.
                  http://i141.photobuc....DSC_0038-1.jpghttp://i141.photobuc....DSC_0463-1.jpg
                  My wedding review of the Grand Palladium Palace, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
                  http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t35125

Our Professional Wedding and TTD Pictures by Photo Souvenirhttp:...

#9 Ericka7885

Ericka7885
                  • 63 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:25 PM

It's really early and we haven't set anything in stone yet, but I think we are just renting out a couple pavillions at the beach and having a big BBQ. I want to do something laid back that kind of fits with the whole destination wedding.

#10 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                    • 18,759 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:35 PM

We canceled ours & I am so happy we did. I wasn't interested in planning it or paying for it. I only started to do one at first because I thought people expected me too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users