Sign in to follow this  
Sharon99

Hush hush legal ceremony

I'm happy to hear there are plenty of other people that also did theirs legally at home. We're not telling our parents, who've already asked if it will be legal. All we keep saying is, don't worry we'll be legally married here.  I know they'd be disappointed but doing it legally in Mexico seemed like a hassle. We're just treating it like an extension of the paperwork. We'll go to city hall a week before we go to Mexico but our anniversary will be the day we get married in Mexico.

My FI was against the idea of marrying at home first (it's his first marriage, my 2nd). He felt our REAL wedding would be then & not down south.  Once I explained that it was no different than getting the marriage licence-no kiss, rings, just sign papers & go home; he felt so much better about it.  It is saving us alot of $ and headaches in paperwork/translations, etc.  We aren't telling anyone and we are treating that day as as just another to-do appt.

Originally Posted by SammyAnna View Post

My FI was against the idea of marrying at home first (it's his first marriage, my 2nd). He felt our REAL wedding would be then & not down south.  Once I explained that it was no different than getting the marriage licence-no kiss, rings, just sign papers & go home; he felt so much better about it.  It is saving us alot of $ and headaches in paperwork/translations, etc.  We aren't telling anyone and we are treating that day as as just another to-do appt.

That's a good way to explain it. My FI thinks it would be strange to have two different dates, especially since the legal at-home date would be on the official documents ....

Hi ladies, I'm new to this particular Forum. I looked it up though because I'm having the same problem. I can't believe from reading in here how many OF THE MEN are the ones opposed to getting married at home first. I thought it was just mine having chic tendencies. Lol! He too said, I don't want to have two anniversaries and get married twice. Meanwhile I'm just all over the practicality of it! Plus , in many psychological ways I think it will take the edge off for me , knowing its only symbolic in DR and that its already said and done I'm having stage fright nightmares . Lol So , I have a year to convince him this is the way to go ... :eek::eek:

boys are dumb. love my husband, but it's the truth!

seriously, he barely remembers the Mexico date - he's been off by a day when anyone asks him. I don't expect him to remember (or celebrate) our legal date. We chose not to hang either our Mexico (symbolic) certificate or our Texas (legal) certificate on the wall. they are both framed for safe keeping, and tucked on a shelf.

as for stage fright on your wedding day, I want to share a suggestion: do a first look with just him, you & your photographer. we did it, and not only do we have amazing photos of it, it took the edge off my nerves. I also got my tears out then vs. during the ceremony.

my photographer had him face her, and I walked up behind him. she kept her distance, and gave us all the time we wanted for the two of us to have "our moment". and then we took a bunch of photos before he headed off to the ceremony, and then I did.

my nerves really melted away because of that.

the other thing is that it's such a special day, you will be so focused on him during the ceremony. no reason to be nervous at all. these are your friends and family - and they are there to support and celebrate the two of you. don't forget that! it isn't a performance!!!

Originally Posted by DeeP10 View Post

Hi ladies, I'm new to this particular Forum.

I looked it up though because I'm having the same problem. I can't believe from reading in here how many OF THE MEN are the ones opposed to getting married at home first. I thought it was just mine having chic tendencies. Lol! He too said, I don't want to have two anniversaries and get married twice. Meanwhile I'm just all over the practicality of it! Plus , in many psychological ways I think it will take the edge off for me , knowing its only symbolic in DR and that its already said and done I'm having stage fright nightmares . Lol

So , I have a year to convince him this is the way to go ...

eek.gifeek.gif

We're doing the legal ceremony on hopme soil and inviting all the old people who won't be able to travel to our DW - that way they can be involved in some of the celebration

We are going to the courthouse prior and will bring FI parents and mine bc his prob won't make it to Mexico and I want my parents there. It will be strictly paperwork and in Mexico we will do vows, rings, the whole shebang