Hush hush legal ceremony

I think this is a great idea actually. The "3 day prior" requirement gets hectic to plan around and not to mention the additional cost that comes along with it. Wow, you guys have my brain thinking now confused.gif

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have more than a year to go until our wedding date (June 8th 2013) so we are planning to go to City Hall this year on June 8th to get legally hitched.  Technically, our wedding day will be our first anniversary, but no one will know that except us. :)

We are doing the legal stuff here to make it easier and cheaper for us. We will do it a week or so before. We see it as just getting the formalities out of the day. We aren't even looking at it as us already being married before we get there. His folks know but that is about it. When we first started looking at a DW we were against it because we viewed it as defeating the purpose. But then the more we looked at the wedding costs and then realized that the legal fees were extra, our point of view changed. We just went under contract on our first home so the extra money can go somewhere else.

I'm glad to see that so many other brides are doing the same thing. To me it's not that serious. As long as we are legally married when the wedding is over that is all we care about.

hi jello - we did the same thing. we went to city hall last year and having the actual wedding ceremony (or some would say the big hoopla) this year.  it saves us time and money with legal fees and processing time that goes with it. 

Originally Posted by jello View Post

We have more than a year to go until our wedding date (June 8th 2013) so we are planning to go to City Hall this year on June 8th to get legally hitched.  Technically, our wedding day will be our first anniversary, but no one will know that except us. :)

We also are getting 'symboliccaly married' in Mexico three weeks from now. No one knows that we have already legally got married in Canada, only my fiances mom and our 2 witnesses. We didn't want to tell anyone because we didn't want it to take away from our day in Mexico as we are treating this as our wedding day. For our legal ceremony. I had a minisiter come  to our home, we did not dress up or anything. To make it legal in Alberta, you only have 4 lines that you have to say to each other and the witnesses. We did not have rings, vows or a kiss. We just wanted it to be the legal part and we didn't want it to take away from our day as well. It worked well. Our 2 best friends were there arnd they were quite excited, but we really want our date in April to be our wedding day. Afterwards, we had some wine and went out for a nice supper.

This is what I am thinking as well.  Getting the "paperwork" and going to Mexico to get married.  We are only telling both set of parents so that they can be there if they want to be our witnesses.  I like the idea of no kiss :)  After we get the paperwork we are going to dinner.  I feel like it just papers to save us over $500 and it will be offiical when I walk down the aisle! 

Originally Posted by mishele81 View Post

We also are getting 'symboliccaly married' in Mexico three weeks from now. No one knows that we have already legally got married in Canada, only my fiances mom and our 2 witnesses. We didn't want to tell anyone because we didn't want it to take away from our day in Mexico as we are treating this as our wedding day. For our legal ceremony. I had a minisiter come  to our home, we did not dress up or anything. To make it legal in Alberta, you only have 4 lines that you have to say to each other and the witnesses. We did not have rings, vows or a kiss. We just wanted it to be the legal part and we didn't want it to take away from our day as well. It worked well. Our 2 best friends were there arnd they were quite excited, but we really want our date in April to be our wedding day. Afterwards, we had some wine and went out for a nice supper.

girls I am freaking out and rethinking everything again! My fiance wants to get legally married a few days before we leave and i agreed. but now i cant get rid of the feeling that its my real date of marriage! i want to totally forget the civil ceremony here and wipe it from everyone's mind, but it's still in MY mind! And I can't lie to people, so i'm being honest when they ask me what we're doing. I'm thinking I need to come out and tell my bridesmaids before the fact. They are my best friends and i hate lying. I just hate having to get married before hand but I know I have no choice (fiance doesn't want to do the blood tests).  Is/was anyone in the same boat and how did you overcome these feelings?