Is it safe to go off resort in Dominican Republic? Photo Souvenier Photography

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 anneuga2

• 8 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:24 PM

Contacted Photo Souvenier due to many great reviews about them. We wanted to book a photo session with them. Reno suggested going off the resort to avoid resort fees. Is it safe to go off the resort because many websites have emphasized that it isn't safe. How reputable is Photo Souvenier?

I have heard horror stories with safety and want to be secure since rules and laws are different than US. If we opted to stay on the resort and brought outside photographers in, does anyone know what the cost is?

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!!!

#2 NaM

• 2,256 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:30 PM

The Dominican Republic is perfectly safe imo. I didn't get married there but I have visited and never once felt in danger. I think as with other places, use your street smarts and don't be and easy target but I wouldn't be too concerned about leaving the resort.

#3 krmiller

• 239 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:34 PM

I personally haven't been there, but a friend of mine stayed at Dreams PC & she said she didn't feel safe. They had men w/machine guns on the beach to prevent uninvited guests into the resort.

Dominican Republic

#4 diamondpooch

• 546 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:53 PM

I have been to the DR before and have taken a bus from the resort to go on a horse back riding excursion, and I, personally, would not feel safe in general. I'm sure there are areas where it would be fine, I would just be a little nervous. It's a very iffy area still. Just, my opinion though.

#5 vmelendez319

• 37 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:38 PM

I think its safe, the photog won't purposely put you in danger. Hope you have fun!
            Can't wait to spend the rest of my life with the most amazing man in the world!

#6 DmitryYakunin

• 227 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:39 PM

The average salary in DR is only $50. So it's no surprise that the locals are not rich and try to get money in any possible way...

#7 murphie310

• 30 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:24 PM

My good friend just spent her honeymoon (10 full days, in March 2010) in the DR. They had a blast and traveled all over. They loved thier resort and wished they could stay longer! Just be smart about your travel plans if you are venturing away from your resort.

#8 mareW9

• 159 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:41 PM

We were just there earlier this month and it seemed safe to me. Granted, I live/work in a city and I've traveled to many sketchier places so some of it might be perspective. We took cabs around which was pretty pricey - but I didn't feel unsafe at all!

#9 Thomasjsgirl

• 1,098 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:07 PM

Photosouvenir live and work in the Dominican Republic and have taken many couples off resort to photograph their TTDs. There are sketchy places in DR, just like any other place (our home countries included), but Photosouvenir is a reputable company and I'm sure also that they would know safe places to take you. If you're still not comfortable, then see if they can arrange to shoot on the beach near (but not at) your resort.
                    Lucy & Tom - Married 24.11.08
                    Wedding Review - Dreams PC:
                    Leftover Wedding Items FS:

#10 anneuga2

• 8 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:07 AM

Thanks for all the advice!! My husband looked up stuff on the internet about Dominican Republic and there are a few scares about tourists going off resort and their complaints. It is a very poor country and at times Police are in on it. It just makes you cautious because laws are different in the US.

Photo Souvenir seems to be a reputable company due to reviews but you just never know. So I was just hoping to see if anyone has experienced the island or with photo souvenier!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users