Sign in to follow this  
angelaevans1o1

brides on a budget?!!

Hi!! So I'm in the beginnings of a planning a destination wedding & feeling a little overwhelmed. We got engaged Valentines day & plan to get married in January. I wanted Cancun but it's a little more than I feel comfortable asking my friends & family to pay... Any destionation wedding on a budget advice?? I was thinking Puerto Vallarta or Cuba?!!

Congrats! & welcome to the forum!

I am also a bride on a budget, I am getting married in the DR.

But if youre having a lot of people at your wedding I would suggest any of the Dreams resort in Mexico.

If you get a TA you might get better rates, this forum has TAs that are specialized in Destination Weddings and can help you find a good deal.

I'm another bride on a budget-- one of the ways we cut down on prices for our guest was take cruise instead of paying a hotel.. But if folks want to go they will spend the money I would not worry so much about that...BTW congrats and happy planning

Welcome aboard! I'm also a budget bride. We chose Mexico because it was cheaper than anywhere we've been. We don't plan on a lot of frills, just a beautiful ceremony and a lovely vacation.

Congrats on your engagement.

Essentially, not as many people go to DW because they can't afford it. But, the people who really care about you will find a way to make it. You can always have a little casual AHR when you get back for those guests who couldn't make it at your house.

A lot of my guests are using my wedding week as THEIR own family vacations. As long as you give people enough notice, they can make it their once a year vacation and still attend your wedding.

Good luck staying under budget and remember, it's YOUR day. Enjoy it and do what YOU'VE always dreamed of.

I am also trying to keep a strict budget for our wedding and being Canadian (like you!) we researched around and found that the cheapest place for us and our guests to travel is Cuba. A few things that I am doing to stick on a budget is: bought a used dress (still in excellent condition), buying FI's suits on Studio Suits (There is a thread on here about them, well priced, only $99 US for a custom made linen suit) designed and am printing my own invitations, doing OOT bags (out of town) for my guests, but am keeping strict track of everything that I am spending on them and will not go over $15 per bag...hmmm. That's all I can think of so far.

It is possible to stay on a budget though! The things like decorations and big guest favours are not always necessary. The resorts will usually have decor (inquire with your wedding coordinator) and guests at a DW won't expect a big favour.

Good luck!

I think there are some places in Mexico that are cheaper than others but definately not Cancun. We are flying from Canada as well and our wedding is December 2010 and right now air Canada vacations are almost 1500 more than they usually are so its crazy. Good luck!

Welcome and congrats!!! I am a bride on a budget too... trying to narrow down a great location is the hardest part. I was super frustrated a few weeks ago, almost to the point of giving up on a DW and I realized that we you can't please everyone. There are going to be ppl that you thought would def come and they wont and ppl are going to bitch about prices etc etc...BUT the ppl that want to be there with you and for you on your special day will make it and regardless of who is there, as long as you and your fiance make it, thats the most important part right?? Don't get overly frustrated, keep yourself happy! :) Good luck!!! (and let me know what you figure out, I am stillllll searching lol)