Save the Date timeframe?

jpkw

Hello - how early did all of you send out your Save the Dates? We are getting married on June 3, 2007 at Dreams, but we are going down to visit and meet with vendors 12/28-1/5. Should I send the Save the Dates out prior to our visit (mid December)?? Or should I wait to send them out in mid January when we return in case there are any extra details to add?? I just don't know how much advance notice people want... the families that we are inviting (my sisters & their kids) want as much advance notice as possible but I am hesitant to send them out before we go down there. I guess I can always send out another info sheet at a later point??

Also, we are getting photo cards (like people do for xmas cards) made from the kodakgallery or snapfish web site for our Save the Dates with 2 pics of us along with a simple save the date message. The price is GREAT & it's really easy! I'm going to create an info sheet for hotel & flights (maybe on card-stock & glue to the back). Most of the photo websites have sales right now before the holidays so we found the cards at a great price.

Have you thought about doing a wedding website? That way, you can send out your STD's now and have your website on them, which you will update as details become available.

I sent mine out in October for my May 7th wedding. I wanted people to have as much notice as possible. I plan to send a couple newsletters out between now and the wedding to update people in a hard copy format, but I expect them to check the website for details.

Side note: You will end up calling almost everyone anyway because people simply will not book rooms in a timely manner! So, when you're calling them they will have tons of questions that could be answered simply by them looking at your website. Just wanted to give you a heads up about the frustration we all are currently dealing with!

If you date is set in stone, then I'd say send the STDs. It would also be ideal if the location/venue was set in stone too. You can include minimal info on the actual card, and then like Sarah said just make a website that you constantly update as you get more details.

I just placed an order for my STD's. They should be here in a few weeks. My wedding date is not until Oct. 2007 but I swear I get questions every single week from people. I think they are just excited to plan a vacation, so I figure I would just order them now. I was going to send a newletter but by the time I started to work on it, it got really long. I just got a website and had the website address printed on the STD's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOESNTHESND View Post
I just placed an order for my STD's. They should be here in a few weeks. My wedding date is not until Oct. 2007 but I swear I get questions every single week from people. I think they are just excited to plan a vacation, so I figure I would just order them now. I was going to send a newletter but by the time I started to work on it, it got really long. I just got a website and had the website address printed on the STD's.
hijacked.gif Natalie- your website looks great!

I already sent my STD's and our wedding is two days after yours. I wanted to give everyone plently of time to save for the trip. However with that said since the holiday season is right around the corner I would wait until after you return from Cabo before you send them out. That why they are not lost in the holiday mail.

That's exactly what I did - I just ordered Save the Date magnets, and had our website put on them, as well as the date and Puerto Vallarta, just so they know it's in Mexico! I'll be sending them out as soon as I get them - I am getting married in early June as well. I figured we may as well get them out a.s.a.p. since we know the date and location. The rest of the details we'll just keep adding to the website.

I hope that people just continue to look at the website as they have questions, but judging from everyone's experience, it doesn't happen quite that easy!

i answered in red:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpkw View Post
Hello - how early did all of you send out your Save the Dates? We are getting married on June 3, 2007 at Dreams, but we are going down to visit and meet with vendors 12/28-1/5. Should I send the Save the Dates out prior to our visit (mid December)?? Or should I wait to send them out in mid January when we return in case there are any extra details to add?? save the date card is just that...you want to give people as much notice as possible to save the date...you do not have to have all the details nailed down. i think the most important thing you can do is have a website on the STD and state that you will be updating the website with more information as you get it

I just don't know how much advance notice people want... the families that we are inviting (my sisters & their kids) want as much advance notice as possible but I am hesitant to send them out before we go down there. I guess I can always send out another info sheet at a later point??

Also, we are getting photo cards (like people do for xmas cards) made from the kodakgallery or snapfish web site for our Save the Dates with 2 pics of us along with a simple save the date message. The price is GREAT & it's really easy! I'm going to create an info sheet for hotel & flights (maybe on card-stock & glue to the back). Most of the photo websites have sales right now before the holidays so we found the cards at a great price. have you thought of magnets...cheap and they can have them on the fridge as a reminder...try looking at vistaprint...i think sarah posted a coupon

I agree with all of the above! Vistaprint's magnets are cute and very affordable. I would look into getting them and then mail them after the holidays so they dont' get lost in the shuffle.

Vistaprint also has very affordable post-cards if you wanted to go that route. Wait until their "Free Offer" and you can get 100 postcards or 25 magnets for free.

I would send the Save the Dates as soon as possible.

Like all the girls said, you don't have to have all the plans set in stone before sending them. All your guests really need to know is the location and the date. Anything else can be updated as the time gets closer.