66 replies to this topic

#31 LissaSou

LissaSou
  • 174 posts
  • Wedding Date:February 6, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Grand Palladium, Riviera Maya
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta, Canada

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:47 AM

The shop I bought my dress from said for a bustle and hemming it would start at ~$300. Aside from that I shouldn't need anything else on the dress changed, so I'm glad because I've heard that alterations can cost an arm and a leg.

#32 kcole123

kcole123
  • 850 posts
  • Wedding Date:April 17, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Melia Caribe
  • LocationPunta Cana, Dominican

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:02 PM

the cost of alterations are scaring me too. I ordered my dress from a dress shop in Edmonton just this past weekend. I went $300 over budget on my dress. I hop the alterations won't be too bad. Gonna be six months before my dress gets here and I am hoping to lose a few pounds before then so I most likely will hae to get it taken in.

Kristy and Nathan

Melia Caribe Tropical

April 17, 2015

#33 LissaSou

LissaSou
  • 174 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:29 PM

If it does end up costing a lot you can always check out a reputable seamstress that isn't working for a salon. One of my friends in Calgary found a lady that did alterations out of her home. It was really good quality and cost about half of what the salon had quoted her. I'm sure in Edmonton you could find the same thing.

#34 vanessanini

vanessanini
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:26 PM

Good luck! I look forward to seeing the picture after you wear your favorite dress.

#35 GingerJ228

GingerJ228
    • 158 posts
    • Wedding Date:June 8, 2014
    • Wedding Location:NOW Sapphire
    • LocationMexico

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:48 PM

I actually decided to do a DW because I knew it would limit the # of people attending.  My FI and I both have big families and to have a wedding at home, we would have had over 200 guests.  We just can't afford a wedding that big.  So DW it i

I say go for it!!

#36 keezy

keezy
    • 151 posts
    • Wedding Date:October 20, 2014
    • Wedding Location:Punta Cana
    • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:06 AM

Oh man these alteration stories are really making me bite my nails. I bought my dress at Davids Bridal and my last alteration is in Aug. I've lost some weight, not a whole lot but I think I should budget around $300 

#37 stefadile

stefadile
    • 192 posts
    • Wedding Date:December 30, 2014
    • Wedding Location:Negril , Jamaica
    • LocationIreland

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:43 AM

If it does end up costing a lot you can always check out a reputable seamstress that isn't working for a salon. One of my friends in Calgary found a lady that did alterations out of her home. It was really good quality and cost about half of what the salon had quoted her. I'm sure in Edmonton you could find the same thing.

This is a very too idea, I have found a dressmaker that lives locally, who altered my Sisters dress for her wedding. It works out much cheaper than getting the store to alter them. I'd say budget between 100-250 € ( 350 USD) for alterations.

#38 kmk2016

kmk2016
    • Moderators
    • 1,468 posts
    • Wedding Date:February 29, 2016
    • Wedding Location:Azul Sensatori- Riviera Maya
    • LocationCalgary Canada

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:59 AM

Can you ask your friend for the woman's contact info for the seamstress in Calgary? I would love to use her for future alterations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#39 LissaSou

LissaSou
    • 174 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:55 AM

@kmk2016 - she said she'll try to remember or find her contact info. She got married years ago

#40 angelajackson

angelajackson
    • Site Supporter
    • 114 posts
    • Wedding Date:May 6, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Now Larimar Punta Cana
    • LocationSpruce Grove, AB

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:12 AM

I know I should have a budget in mind... but I already accept that if faced with finding the perfect dress and it is over-budget, the budget doesn't stand a chance.

I know in my head what I am looking for and because it is not mainstream and more the trend in Europe or Australia I am sure to not find a deal or proudly boast I got a deal, but I will be a savvy informed buyer! ... well in theory!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users