66 replies to this topic

#1 LissaSou

LissaSou
  • 174 posts
  • Wedding Date:February 6, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Grand Palladium, Riviera Maya
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta, Canada

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:07 PM

I didn't mean to do it! I only went dress shopping with my mom so that when I was looking at second-hand dresses on the internet I would know what style suited me best. I knew I was not wanting to spend more than $800 total on my dress (including alterations) but I figured since I wasn't out to buy anything it wouldn't hurt to just try on whatever.

But I totally fell in love with a dress that will likely cost me $700 more than my max. And when I say fell in love - I mean I burst into tears when I saw myself in the mirror. It's so beautiful. So what do I do? Any brides out there that spent the extra money and thought it was worth it in the end? Or should I just forget about it and move on? Thanks ladies 😊

#2 britter08

britter08
  • 50 posts
  • Wedding Date:November 12, 2014
  • Wedding Location:Punta Cana
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:57 PM

I am in the same boat, I am going back to the bridal shop on Tuesday planning to purchase one of 2 gown that are both 500 over my max budget before alterations!! Eek

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#3 csho

csho
  • 1,007 posts
  • Wedding Date:May 5, 2014
  • Wedding Location:Iberostar Laguna Azul, Varadero Cuba
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:57 AM

@LissaSou It really depends. I like to think that you're only going to get married once so maybe it would be worth it to spend the extra. You need to think 1) would you regret the decision if you didn't get it and found a cheaper alternative 2) can you realistically afford it? I set a certain budget not necessarily because it was what I could afford but because I just didn't want to spend any more on the dress. I also didn't try on any dresses that were too much above my budget and that I wasn't willing to spend the money on. If it is absolutely the dress you want and you can afford the dress without going into debt it might be worth it. I would sit and think on it a bit and maybe go and try on some other dresses just to be sure that it really is the one and don't make a rash decision. But at the end of the day we hopefully only get married once and at the end of your life are you going to be worried about those $700 or are you going to be wishing you had of bought that beautiful dress that made you feel like a million dollars?

Also did the sample size fit? I purchased mine off the rack (it was pretty much brand new) and I was able to bargain it down from $1322.50 (incl. tax) to $1000 (tax in) if I took the sample and paid cash. To be honest I just wanted the sample because it fit like a glove and I didn't want to chance it by order another one in. So maybe you could see if the salon will sell you the sample dress and bargain it down? Decide what you are willing to pay for the dress and tell them that's your absolute max and what can they do for you? Most bridal gowns are marked up quite a bit and they have wiggle room. Also offer to pay cash because there are fees that are associated with debit and credit, so they will save some money on that end.

Edited by csho, 31 March 2014 - 03:59 AM.

#4 brownsugarbride

brownsugarbride
  • 599 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:56 AM

It depends on how important this is to you, and whether you feel comfortable cutting in other areas to make up the difference.  I would sit and look at your budget and find other ways to trip (maybe less expensive shoes, borrow the veil).  If not, I would keep looking, or perhaps look online for sample sales or Ebay or preowned wedding dresses to help you save.  Another option: selling the dress after the wedding. I'm planning to sell mine online or consign it, which will help with some of the wedding costs. I hope this is helpful!

#5 acw271011

acw271011
    • Moderators
    • 3,128 posts
    • Wedding Date:October 20, 2011
    • Wedding Location:We tied the knot in Runaway Bay, Jamaica and renewed our vows in Mexico on our 4th Anniversary
    • LocationToronto Area

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:30 AM

I agree with everything said. A lot of things to think about. And the last thing... check www.preownedweddingdresses.com and see if that dress you're in love with is there. It's a fabulous site and they have tons of stuff, even stores that are selling samples! And all designers. Check it out. It never hurts to look, especially before spending that kind of money!!

Good luck!

I said "yes" again to the love of my life at Grand Coral Beach Club, Playa del Carmen, Mexico on our 4th anniversary - October 20, 2015

http://www.bestdestinationwedding.com/topic/78874-acw271011-so-this-is-not-a-planning-thread-but/

event.png

#6 ctlind7

ctlind7
    • 134 posts
    • Wedding Date:November 13, 2014
    • Wedding Location:Moon Palace - Cancun, Mexico
    • LocationSpringfield, IL

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:39 AM

@LissaSou It really depends. I like to think that you're only going to get married once so maybe it would be worth it to spend the extra. You need to think 1) would you regret the decision if you didn't get it and found a cheaper alternative 2) can you realistically afford it? I set a certain budget not necessarily because it was what I could afford but because I just didn't want to spend any more on the dress. I also didn't try on any dresses that were too much above my budget and that I wasn't willing to spend the money on. If it is absolutely the dress you want and you can afford the dress without going into debt it might be worth it. I would sit and think on it a bit and maybe go and try on some other dresses just to be sure that it really is the one and don't make a rash decision. But at the end of the day we hopefully only get married once and at the end of your life are you going to be worried about those $700 or are you going to be wishing you had of bought that beautiful dress that made you feel like a million dollars?

Also did the sample size fit? I purchased mine off the rack (it was pretty much brand new) and I was able to bargain it down from $1322.50 (incl. tax) to $1000 (tax in) if I took the sample and paid cash. To be honest I just wanted the sample because it fit like a glove and I didn't want to chance it by order another one in. So maybe you could see if the salon will sell you the sample dress and bargain it down? Decide what you are willing to pay for the dress and tell them that's your absolute max and what can they do for you? Most bridal gowns are marked up quite a bit and they have wiggle room. Also offer to pay cash because there are fees that are associated with debit and credit, so they will save some money on that end.

I bought mine off the rack too! It was gorgeous and I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg! I actually got the belt, veil and headpiece along with the dress all still less than the actual sticker price :) See my photo gallery for pics!

#7 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
    • 11,659 posts
    • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:36 AM

Also, see if you can find the dress as a floor model so they will discount the price.

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
    Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
    Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
    Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
    sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
    Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#8 csho

csho
    • 1,007 posts
    • Wedding Date:May 5, 2014
    • Wedding Location:Iberostar Laguna Azul, Varadero Cuba
    • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:15 AM

@ctlind7 Love your dress!!! So beautiful!

#9 forevertogether

forevertogether
    • 317 posts
    • Wedding Date:January 7, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Gran Porto Real--Playa del Carmen

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:03 AM

Oh no!!! I agree... If you can afford it, go for it! it's your special day and you don't want any regrets either way!!!

#10 LissaSou

LissaSou
    • 174 posts
    • Wedding Date:February 6, 2015
    • Wedding Location:Grand Palladium, Riviera Maya
    • LocationCalgary, Alberta, Canada

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:28 PM

You ladies are awesome. I can afford the dress, I'm just having a hard time justifying spending the money. I had contemplated selling it later, so that could help offset some of the cost for sure. Is there an incentive for the dress shops to sell their samples? It did fit pretty good, but I was leaning towards ordering one size bigger just in case.

I had tried on many others that looked similar, but there was something about this one that was just perfect. I wish I could post pics, but they got this specific dress from a shop in China and the sales lady said there isn't a pic of it online. I'm going back on Thursday to try the cheaper dress I kinda liked from David's Bridal and to try my favourite on again just to be sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users