2048 replies to this topic

#1711 pjay

pjay
  • 1,791 posts
  • Wedding Date:December 15, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Beach Palace
  • LocationToronto

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:18 AM

@Wafflesmom thank you so much! I think all of our guests were just happy to be there and to see everybody so we were able to overlook the issues for the most part. However, I don't know if anyone would want to stay there again (especially considering the price).

Le Blanc on the other hand is insanely nice. It's the perfect place for a honeymoon and relaxation. I also saw two weddings while I was there and they were really nice.

That's too bad! I'm actually quite surprised to be honest. I've been to Moon and Beach Palace and both were really great. Probably one of the best resorts for food as well. Now i'm a bit worried!

My planning thread :
http://www.bestdesti...e/#entry1885631

#1712 LMichelleB

LMichelleB
  • 19 posts
  • Wedding Date:February 21, 2015
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:00 PM

@perianjay I'll admit that this was my first time at an all inclusive, so I really didn't know what to expect. After reading a lot of mixed reviews about the hotel food I've come to the conclusion that it may just depend on when you stay at the hotel and who happens to be the restaurant chef at the time. I thought maybe I was being picky but everyone in my group agreed that the Tequila restaurant dinner was pretty bad (we had dinner there twice); breakfast was mediocre. The hotel was fully booked but Tequila was never full, however Wok always had a wait and they had much better food. We ate at the Sky Bar twice; the first time it was just ok but the second time there was a different chef behind the bar and the food tasted great so I really think it depends on who you get. The food at our wedding was pretty good though; I'm guessing this is mostly due to us having a plated dinner.

All of the food at Le Blanc was 5 star; even their "snack" foods on the pool terrace and beach were elaborate and delicious.

#1713 FutureMrsGarcia

FutureMrsGarcia
  • 31 posts
  • Wedding Date:December 12, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Beach Palace Cancun
  • LocationChicago

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:20 PM

@perianjay I'll admit that this was my first time at an all inclusive, so I really didn't know what to expect. After reading a lot of mixed reviews about the hotel food I've come to the conclusion that it may just depend on when you stay at the hotel and who happens to be the restaurant chef at the time. I thought maybe I was being picky but everyone in my group agreed that the Tequila restaurant dinner was pretty bad (we had dinner there twice); breakfast was mediocre. The hotel was fully booked but Tequila was never full, however Wok always had a wait and they had much better food. We ate at the Sky Bar twice; the first time it was just ok but the second time there was a different chef behind the bar and the food tasted great so I really think it depends on who you get. The food at our wedding was pretty good though; I'm guessing this is mostly due to us having a plated dinner.
All of the food at Le Blanc was 5 star; even their "snack" foods on the pool terrace and beach were elaborate and delicious.

Sorry to hear your experience wasn't as great as you wanted it! I have also seen mixed reviews but in general on tripadvisor there seems to be a lot of positive reviews. I think my guests are not expecting a fine cuisine and all know that an all-inclusive has its limitations. Which buffets did you choose or what food did you have for your plated dinner that was good??

Also what did you think of the space on the sky bar terrace for a larger group - you think it could accommodate 100+? Was it very windy? Do you think it is less windy on the Palenque terrace and better suited for a group that large? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Congrats!

#1714 pjay

pjay
  • 1,791 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:34 PM

Ok.. hopefully I have better luck! I know what you mean though because i've been to resorts before that had hit or miss food. Some nights good, some nights not so much. Le Blanc is a great resort!

Sorry to hear your experience wasn't as great as you wanted it! I have also seen mixed reviews but in general on tripadvisor there seems to be a lot of positive reviews. I think my guests are not expecting a fine cuisine and all know that an all-inclusive has its limitations. Which buffets did you choose or what food did you have for your plated dinner that was good??

Also what did you think of the space on the sky bar terrace for a larger group - you think it could accommodate 100+? Was it very windy? Do you think it is less windy on the Palenque terrace and better suited for a group that large? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Congrats!

@FutureMrsGarcia Just a tip.. I heard the carribean buffet wasn't amazing. Looks like we will be there the same week :)

My planning thread :

#1715 FutureMrsGarcia

FutureMrsGarcia
  • 31 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:46 PM

Ok.. hopefully I have better luck! I know what you mean though because i've been to resorts before that had hit or miss food. Some nights good, some nights not so much. Le Blanc is a great resort!
@FutureMrsGarcia Just a tip.. I heard the carribean buffet wasn't amazing. Looks like we will be there the same week :)

Yes I think you are there right after me right? Sooo exciting! I think all of our friends will be glad to get out of the cold in December! :)

I also have seen carribbean isn't so good but heard Mexican is! Seems to be mixed reviews about Italian...I think I am doing Mexican for my welcome beach party but not sure about rehearsal dinner or reception...

#1716 LMichelleB

LMichelleB
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:12 PM

@FutureMrsGarcia we didn't have any of the buffet menus, here is the plated menu we had:

Grilled vegetables over garden greens with soy vinaigrette
Crab bisque with brandy
Stuffed chicken breast with seafood and coriander sauce
White chocolate tulip filled with seasonal tropical fruits

Both the sky bar and Palenque terraces are nice. Both were windy but that was because it had been windy for the first 4 days of our trip and only about 70 degrees. The last few days were not windy at all and it was 85 degrees. You just have to hope that the weather is in your favor, lol. I would suggest the Palenque terrace if you want your tables to be closer together because the terrace is very large and can easily accommodate a large group (and you'll still have plenty of space for dancing). If you don't mind your tables being separated the sky terrace is nice too. The pool separates the area so your guests won't be as close together and you'll have to walk around the pool to access all of the tables. I think it may be a little cramped with 100 guests. On the other hand, you'll probably have to spend more on décor/lighting if you do the Palenque. What time will your events be? The Palenque terrace has a great view of the sunset (not sure about the sky bar terrace).

#1717 Danielle1

Danielle1
  • 125 posts
  • Wedding Date:February 20, 2016

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:28 PM

@LMichelleB - did the plated menu cost more than the buffet? Do you mind me asking how much?

I officially set my date for February 20, 2016. I'm so excited! This blog was SO helpful in making my decision. Thank you for all of your input ladies!

#1718 pjay

pjay
  • 1,791 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:56 PM

@FutureMrsGarcia we arrive on December 10, but wedding date is the 15. I'm so glad I chose December now. It will be such a great time to get away from the cold! Haha

My planning thread :

#1719 LMichelleB

LMichelleB
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:09 PM

@Danielle1 I don't mind! The plated dinner was not an extra cost to me because we did not book the 75 roomnights to qualify for the free reception (we only got the free cocktail hour). The cost for any 2 hour private event is $55 per person (you can choose buffet or plated) and then $8.50 per person for each additional hour.

However if you do book enough roomnights for the free 2 hour reception you do have to pay a charge if you want a plated dinner (I think it is $55 per person ).

If you are planning to have a very large group then the buffet is probably a better fit. The plated dinner would be really expensive for a large group and it will probably take a while for them to bring out all of the food.

#1720 FutureMrsGarcia

FutureMrsGarcia
  • 31 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:17 PM

@FutureMrsGarcia we didn't have any of the buffet menus, here is the plated menu we had:

Grilled vegetables over garden greens with soy vinaigrette
Crab bisque with brandy
Stuffed chicken breast with seafood and coriander sauce
White chocolate tulip filled with seasonal tropical fruits

Both the sky bar and Palenque terraces are nice. Both were windy but that was because it had been windy for the first 4 days of our trip and only about 70 degrees. The last few days were not windy at all and it was 85 degrees. You just have to hope that the weather is in your favor, lol. I would suggest the Palenque terrace if you want your tables to be closer together because the terrace is very large and can easily accommodate a large group (and you'll still have plenty of space for dancing). If you don't mind your tables being separated the sky terrace is nice too. The pool separates the area so your guests won't be as close together and you'll have to walk around the pool to access all of the tables. I think it may be a little cramped with 100 guests. On the other hand, you'll probably have to spend more on décor/lighting if you do the Palenque. What time will your events be? The Palenque terrace has a great view of the sunset (not sure about the sky bar terrace).

Oh I am soooooo hoping the weather is in my favor! I would say that is THE MOST nerve-racking thing about this - not knowing what the weather will be! Regardless, I know its not under my control so I will try my best to be the easygoing bride that goes with the flow :) 

So my wedding day looks like this : 4pm ceremony on the sky deck, 4:30-6 cocktails with possible mariachi band and then 6pm-12am reception. The pics I have seen of the sky terrace mostly show tables on one side of the pool and so I'm wondering if we will be too spread out with tables on both sides...I want my guests to be able to hear speeches and interact and that may be weird with the pool in the middle. The only concern I have about the Palenque terrace is the fact that all the lagoon rooms overlook it so its not as private but not sure that will really matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users