• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 9,504 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:16 PM

So, I had the brilliant idea to "personalize" my wedding by dyeing my slip. Yeah, not my best idea ever.

I started by doing finding directions on how to dye things on the Rit Dye website. Sounds like the right thing to do , right? Well, when I went to the craft store, they didn't have aqua dye. I'm imagining thing beautiful pastel shade that will match all of my other wedding stuff. The website had a "recipe" for aqua.

Let me tell you, if this is ANYONE's idea of aqua, they are f-ing crazy!

I even started with half the suggested dye amount, figuring if it was too light, I could add more and achieve the desired shade. Sounds good, right?

Well, I end up with this awful shade of dirty, dingy teal. So I decide to try another color to try and get it closer to turquoise, our accent color. Here is my blue washer:
    http://i233.photobuc....2/100_1074.jpg

Now, as I'm dyeing this slip, I have to keep pulling it out and repositioning it so I don't end up with a tye-dyed slip. Now, a normal thinking person would wear gloves. Not this girl! I managed to end up looking kinda like a smurf. Too bad I didn't take pictures of that!

The slip ended up with 3 different colors, depending on the fabric of each piece. The slip is nylon, the zipper cotton, and the tag is something else:
    http://i233.photobuc....2/100_1076.jpg

To try to make a bad situation better, I tried to use the color remover to lighten the thing. I guess it is better now, but nowhere close to my original vision. In natural lighting it looks pretty good.
    http://i233.photobuc....2/100_1078.jpg

However, when it is under the dress, it still has that dirty teal look to it.

IF you choose to dye your slip, contact me first. I learned the hard way!

My first tip would be to only dye your slip a color that is actually made...red, purple, hunter green, etc. Don't try mixing your own.

Test the color first on an old t-shirt, towel, etc. before gambling with your new $60+ slip.

Wear rubber gloves!

If you can use a front loading washer, I think the color will be more even and you won't have to do the take it out and un-twist job, hopefully saving you from dyeing your self.

http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t21286

#2 lucy106

lucy106
    • 2,880 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:09 AM

From your pic here and of you trying it all on it looks so awesome!! Sounds like quite an adventure you went through!! Ya know if you wanted to re-live your youth by being a smurf you coulda just bought the new smurf DVD collection! Ha! But seriously, great job!

#3 ACDCDCAC

ACDCDCAC
      • Moderators
      • 25,218 posts
      • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
      • LocationSeattle

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:52 AM

i know it's pics, but it looks just like i imagined it would. i do see how it fits in more on the grey-green side than the blue-green side, tho. thanks so much for the tips!

#4 Kat81

Kat81
      • VIP Member
      • 7,615 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:54 AM

I think it looks great! Such a cute idea. I love it.

#5 caroline

caroline
        • 697 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:01 AM

I think it looks lovely, Erin! It looks the way I would have imagined it looking... And the 'smurf look' will subside soon! =)

#6 Dez921714

Dez921714
          • 1,489 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:27 AM

I think you did a good job....unfortunately the challenge of it and since it's not exactly what you were thinking of is probably the reason you are "eh" about it.
            http://ticker.7910.o....25vdCBpbiA.gif27 Confirmed with Plane Tickets...5 with rooms booked!

150 INVITES / 6 YES / 13 NO

#7 Yari

Yari
            • VIP Member
            • 10,928 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:22 PM

I think it looks very good!

#8 Sarah

Sarah

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 6,996 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 12:38 AM

Wow Erin, you're really brave. i think the end color looks nice...

#9 jajajaja

jajajaja
                • VIP Member
                • 9,794 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:09 AM

I think you should take a pic of it on under your dress. It may be a nice peak of color as intended. It's not like it's going to be out in it's full glory.

Nonetheless, I think you were brave to try it. I don't think it looks too bad, but I'm just looking at a pic! Don't give up though- I needed to see it under the dress before I decide to agree with you. LOL It's not like you need my approval or anything, just saying. :)
                  Happily married since 2008

#10 Celina

Celina
                  • Banned
                  • 2,811 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:00 PM

WOW - what a project!! I would love to see how it looked under the dress1
                    "Love is not who you live with...it's who you can't live without"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users