Photo

Should I hire a DJ????

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 PVBride2010

PVBride2010
  • 157 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:06 AM

We are getting married in May at Dreams PV. Our party will be around 20 people including me & FI. We are having a family-style dinner, just one long table. The DJ is going to run about $800 I am estimating for the entire wedding, but now I don't know if I should waste that much money. They have the option for IPOD hook-up but I really dont feel like dealing with that or leaving someone responsible for the music. I just cant imagine eating dinner with no music playing, please help!

#2 kate.com

kate.com

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 8,921 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:11 AM

Why dont you try posting this in the Dreams PV thread? There you will get advice from people that were married there.

Otherwise, make a playlist on your ipod and let it go if you want music and dont want to spend the money. Now if you want to have a dance you may want to splurge.

#3 CristiandJamie

CristiandJamie
      • 445 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 03:10 PM

Does your resort offer a disco for everyone to go to dance after dinner? I'm thinking about making a playlist for just the cocktail hour and dinner (2.5 to 3 hours worth of music) so there isnt any silence. Then going to the disco afterwards for the dancing... something you can think about since your group is small like mine...

If there were 50 people or so coming to the wedding then I would spend the $800 on a DJ... otherwise use that money for your guests (comes out to $40 per guest with 20 people). That could be used for a spa day or a tour, etc... I think people would enjoy that vs. having a DJ and it's not guaranteed that they are any good.

Just my thought...
        Cristi & Jamie
        http://img.weddingco...er/7nhul9k2.png32 guests including Bride and Groom... and counting

#4 lalanyc

lalanyc
        • 363 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:59 PM

Ack, that's a tough call. If you can designate someone in your wedding party to play the right songs at the right times, then I think I-pod would be ok (followed by disco at the hotel or off site!). At the end of the day though, you gotta DANCE!!!!!!

#5 Angel-in-Law

Angel-in-Law
          • 250 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:40 AM

Hmm. How long is your reception? Why not book the DJ for just an hour or two? I'd imagine the first hour or so people will be dining. So you could use the ipod the first hour or two and then have the DJ for the last hour or two. If that's not in your budget I'm sure the ipod will be just fine

#6 rdsjcr

rdsjcr
            • 224 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:12 PM

we went back and forth with this- and finally decided to have a dj... it will make the reception flow more smoothly.... I am making a playlist and handing it to him though

#7 hat0112

hat0112
              • 1,219 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 03:48 PM

We are debating on having a dj. We have 16 people and don't know if we want to $1,000 on a dj.
                Wedding 10/22/10 Westin Aruba

I love being a Mrs.!

#8 jaynreneewed

jaynreneewed
                • 184 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:57 PM

I got a DJ- I just thought that I'm only going to have one wedding so why not do it right

#9 hat0112

hat0112
                  • 1,219 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:35 AM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by jaynreneewed
                    I got a DJ- I just thought that I'm only going to have one wedding so why not do it right
                    I agree. If you want a DJ then I say go for it. I LOVE to dance and so does a few people that are going so why not get one? I don't care if it is only me and one other person out ont the dance floor. And I don't want to have to fiddle around with an iPod the entire night.
                    Wedding 10/22/10 Westin Aruba

I love being a Mrs.!

#10 MDLady

MDLady
                    • 433 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:10 PM

I have the DJ but our reception is 4 hours so no music would be absolutely sad. It is quite pricey but so is everything else wedding-related. If you don't want to spend the money, an ipod can also work. I would just check w/ brides that already have done it at that particular resort to see if it all went smoothly. At the end of the day, it's all about what you think will work best without digging yourself into a financial hole.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users