Photo

My dad won't come to our DW....

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 IrishgirlinNY

IrishgirlinNY
  • 938 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:48 PM

I understand completely what you are going through. We got engaged July 30 of this year. We had told my parents that we were looking into doing a destination wedding. My mother is not a flyer. She has some medical issues and does not like to fly. It really tore me. I actually changed my mind to have it here. On August 30 my mother passed away. Before August 30, I could never imagine havig a wedding with out my mother. Now, no matter where I have it, she wont be there. It is the worst possible end result. My dad had told me that my mother would have come around. That she would never had missed my wedding. Give your father a chance. There is still time and it might just have to be an idea that gets through his head.

#22 Boston Bride 2009

Boston Bride 2009
    • 268 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:41 PM

I hear you on this one. My dad was booked and ready to go and two weeks before my wedding my step mom called my husband to tell him that she and my dad weren't going to be able to go because he had to go to Panama for work. Never in my life has my dad traveled for work and then all of a sudden he is going to Panama. We already have a strained relationship and this was a huge blow to what little we have. He has called me several times but I have nothing to say to him...pretty much I think he sucks.

I will tell you though I was having so much fun with everyone who was there that I didn't miss him. In the end it was probably better that he didn't go.

I'm sure this is not your situation but I know that you too will be having a blast with your best friends and your family. Don't stress about it if it's meant to be it will be.

#23 barcelo1162010

barcelo1162010
      • 154 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:09 AM

I know one set of my grandparents weren't very keen on the idea. And my FI's sister and mom kept saying they didn't know if they would come. But when it came down to it; they are all coming. Maybe he will surprise you; however, all of them kept saying they weren't coming until we actually booked and sent out invites...then they knew they weren't changing our minds and went along with it.

#24 absolutanne

absolutanne
        • 9 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:04 PM

Aww, my parents and I had some squabbles about the destination wedding concept. They simply don't get that I want to do something fun and unique and less pricey than traditional weddings here in the US. Since they are not paying for my wedding, they did not have much to complain besides the travel but still made it difficult to come (so many tears were shed!). Fortunately, we are all Indonesian so they are able to navigate and speak the language fluently in Bali. I'm sorry you didn't get the support of your dad. Hopefully a brother can walk you down the aisle.
          I'm getting married in Bali!!
          24 July 2010 Ayana Resort & Spa, Bali Indonesia[IMG]http://www.ayanaresort.com/en/weddin..._wedding02.jpg[/IMG]

#25 Fivecents

Fivecents
          • Site Supporter
          • 72 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:20 AM

It's encouraging to read that most of you who did have difficulty with one member or another changed their minds.

I'm not gonna stress over it right now, and keep my fingers crossed. I'll keep you all posted.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!!!

#26 **~Linda~**

**~Linda~**
            • 1,326 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:16 PM

Give him time. Maybe he will come around. As you said this is ways away. Still I am so sorry about the situation

#27 Fivecents

Fivecents
              • Site Supporter
              • 72 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:52 AM

I just want to give you all a quick update.....my dad has decided to come!!!!  I'm so excited....

thank you all for your kind words and for your happy wishes.....you're good vibes have come through!

#28 mimi73

mimi73
                • 282 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:59 AM

Yay!!!!!!! So happy for you!!!

http://tickers.Ticke....8901/event.png

Bride and Groom + 42 guests booked!

#29 Fivecents

Fivecents
                  • Site Supporter
                  • 72 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:31 PM

Thank you!  Now if we can only our flights settled....always one thing after another....I'm gonna crack!!!  hehehe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users