My dad won't come to our DW....

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Fivecents

Fivecents
  • Site Supporter
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:36 PM

I know this is a long ways away BUT just got off the phone with my dad and he's set on not coming to our wedding in 2011. I'm his only daughter, his oldest and right now I really don't know how to deal with this....

I can't believe he wouldn't come. He's not the beach type or the pool but no matter where we go, I'd make sure he has plenty to do and be entertained.

Has this ever happened to anyone and if so how have you dealt with it. I know it's still a ways away but it seems to me his mind is pretty much set. HELP!!!

#2 Sheree10

Sheree10
    • 1,026 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:24 PM

Sorry to hear that your Dad may not attend your wedding. Maybe he'll have a change of heart... there is still time for him to change his mind. Did he give a reason or does he just not want to go?
      http://tickers.Ticke....03cf/event.png

BRIDE + GROOM + 60 GUESTS!!

#3 JUSTUSTWO

JUSTUSTWO

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 12,193 posts

You're definitely not the only one that this has happened to. I'm sure that if you search the forum you'll find posts from other brides who've been in similar situations with either 1 parent or both.

I was also in the exact situation. I'm an only child and my father said that he couldn't come to my DW b/c he was afraid of flying. I was livid and hurt. I couldn't imagine that he wasn't going to come just b/c of his fear of flying. When he said that I said to myself why doesn't he just "get over it". DH tried to tell me that a fear of flying is serious & that I shouldn't be upset b/c he had that fear. Again, I was like whatever.
        In the end, he didn't go. I must say that I was okay during my wedding and didn't really think about him not being there that weekend. I'm just glad that I had friends and family who came & made my wedding week memorable.

I must also be honest & admit that him missing my DW has impacted our relationship today. I don't call him as much as I used to and still harbor some resentment over it. I've tried to forgive him but I will never forget it.

I do hope that your father changes his mind. Maybe you should keep stressing to him just how important it is to you that he be there.

#4 sweetiecat

sweetiecat
        • 186 posts

I'm sorry that I don't have any suggestions to make, but I just wanted to offer some *hugs* since I know you're probably feeling a bit down right now.

Do you have a good relationship with your dad otherwise? If so, maybe you can dwell on that instead of if he won't be there..

#5 TeNeil

TeNeil
          • 192 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:33 PM

I'm in a similar situation because my in-laws aren't coming to our DW. They aren't afraid to fly, but rather don't like to fly. This has definitely caused some upset, especially for my FI (even though he doesn't always express it).
            I think that every couple needs to decide what is most important to them. Although we would love for his parents to be present, we want a DW and want to enjoy each other on our day. As for our guests.......we are happy that they WANT to be there for us and have taken holidays, spent $$, and are making the effort.
            I'm sure in the long-term this will affect his parents more because they will be missing out on a very special moment.

#6 *Linds*

*Linds*
            • 5,776 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:55 PM

What's his reasoning?
              Loving married life! <3

#7 JuneWeddingDreams

JuneWeddingDreams
              • Banned
              • 313 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:56 PM

I am so sorry to hear that - he should be there for your regardless of the location. I wish you well in getting this worked out with him. I know I would be devastated if my dad said that to me! Good luck!
                Rob and Lindsey

24 Booked + Bride and Groom

www.mywedding.com/robandlindseypearson

#8 ~Crista-Lee~

~Crista-Lee~
                • 329 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:01 PM

I'm sorry to hear that, it's pretty upsetting. It's just too bad that things like this have to stand in the way of what you want for your special day. My fingers are crossed for you.. hopefully he changes his mind!

#9 vdaybride

vdaybride
                  • 1,412 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:04 PM

I don't know if you plan on exchanging vows legally before you leave for your DW, but if you are, maybe you can have him involved in that ceremony. Just a suggestion. I am a true daddy's girl. Named after him and all and if he wasn't a part of my DW, I would lose my mind, so I am sooooo sorry that you are dealing with this. Maybe if you haven't already, you could express how important it is to you that he is a there for your big day and suggest a mild sedative he could take to get his tail on the plane!! Good luck honey.. 3 big hugs your way with this message.
                    Married 2-14-2010 Dreams, Los Cabos

#10 classadiva

classadiva
                    • 685 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:16 PM

So sorry to hear that....is there any particular reason as to why he doesn't want to come?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users