Victoria's Secret sweater made me sick!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 *~*Mel*~*

• 647 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:12 PM

Ok, so I don't know if sick is the proper term but I have been super uncomfortable for the past 4 days! Here's a warning

I bought a cowl neck sweater and a sweater dress from VS online, the only reason why I bought the sweater was that it was on sale for $13 (I figured it was a great price and I can never have enough sweaters). When I opened the bag I noticed that it smelled a bit and I did figure that it was the preservative on the wool (I'm a toxicologist so I know that most garments are treated) but I've never had really sensitive skin so I didn't think twice about it (and of course I never wash anything before wearing it like they say you should, I never had a problem before). I wore the sweater all day Thursday, no problem.

The next morning I woke up and everywhere that the sweater had touched was covered in bright red bumps and little blisters!!! Worst was my neck and face (since it was a cowl neck), it was like someone burned my skin and it blistered and then became super scaly! It's still all crusty today (sorry TMI) and the spots are still there! I've been miserable all weekend because I'm so itchy and look like a freak, lol. I've been using benadryl, hydrocortisone and calamine lotion but it's only improved a little. I even had a low grade fever on Saturday, I'm assuming since my immune system is going so crazy. I talked to a friend who's a Dr and she said it's contact dermatitis and I just need to keep doing what I'm doing.

I know that there were lawsuits against their bras being treated with a formaldehyde preservative a few years ago, looks like it may not only be the bras!

#2 Jess

• 4,455 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:38 PM

eeek that is scary...thanks for letting us know!...i hope you feel better

you should contact them and let them know for sure.

#3 YaelM

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 5,369 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:40 PM

OMG that is horrible!! I hope you feel better? Are you going to contact them??

#4 *HOLLY*

• Banned
        • 3,639 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:41 PM

I would def call them. That is just not right. I hope it goes away fast!

#5 autjo

• 2,182 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:00 PM

Yikes! I have super sensitive skin and stuff like that happens to me quite a bit. The dermatologist gave me Zyrtec and it totally helps with the hive like symptoms. Hope you feel better soon!!

#6 *Lo*

• 2,993 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:03 PM

Ouch that does not sound fun!

Definitely let them know and take photos of what it looks like just in case!!

#7 SSNM

• 675 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:37 PM

I had a similar incident with a timex watch. It gave me a horrible itchy rash and I had to stop wearing it. I still have a scar on my left wrist from it.

#8 shankd

• 272 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:41 PM

I always wash my clothes before wearing them....I buy alot of stuff from VS and never had a problem, but like I said always wash everything new!!!

#9 SusieQ

• 1,603 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:38 PM

My FI had the same issue this past summer with a shirt from American Eagle... took a few days before the rash completely went away. It looked like burn in spots... totally scarey

#10 *Meagan*

• 5,521 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:44 PM

Wow that stinks!

You should def. call them!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users