Passport Name Change: Before or After Honeymoon?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Gr8ful

• 155 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:55 PM

I looked through a lot of the threads, so I apologize in advance if this topic has already been covered! I'm am so panicked over this!

Here is my issue. Because we didn't want to go through the process of the marriage paperwork in Mexico, we got married stateside. Which means, right now, my name is legally different than my maiden name.

HOWEVER, my passport and my tickets are still in my maiden name -- so what do I do? We have two international trips booked in my maiden name -- Mexico in early November (less than a month away), Costa Rica immediately upon our return to Mexico.

Is it okay to wait until both those trips are over b/f I go about making all the changes to my travel documents, or do I have to do that now? And, do I have time to do this?

Please help -- I have looked on the web everywhere, and asked friends and colleagues. This seems to be a shade of gray that isn't particularly well-defined. My biggest problem is that there is so little time left. Any thoughts, help, direction would be extremely appreciated! Thank you!

#2 amandseth

• 218 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:01 PM

I went through the same thing, and was told (by Passport Canada) that the name on my passport must be the name on my tickets. Otherwise, you are going to have issues. Right now, your name is NOT legally different than your maiden name. Right now your legal name IS your maiden name. Many women never change their name. It doesn't legally become different until you pursue changing all your documents over. As long as your liscence, passport, and tickets all have your maiden name, you'll be fine. I would wait until you finish your traveling before stressing yourself out with the name change. :)
      Annie and Wes, 11.11.09, GRP

Grand Riviera Princess Review
      http://bestdestinati....-review-52769/Planning Thread http://bestdestinati....nscious-52815/

#3 Outdoor_girl1010

• 657 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:08 PM

As long as you haven't changed your DL and SS card you should be fine. Not all brides change their names after they get married.
        Cory & Jennifer
        March 13, 2010Punta Cana D.R.!!http://i150.photobuc....3/IMG_6740.jpg

#4 Jess

• 4,455 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:16 PM

yeah I'd wait to legally change your name - make it easier on yourself!

#5 alkoch

• 515 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:23 PM

I was told the same thing by my travel agent - as long as the passport name and the name on the ticket match you are fine!

#6 Gr8ful

• 155 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:05 PM

OMG, Thank you all SO much. You do not know (or maybe you do) how much anxiety, grief and tears you have saved me! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

#7 drbrainfreeze

• 813 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:28 PM

Maureen - thanks for that info. I thought that I would have to pay to get my passport changed. Nice to know I have a year

#8 beachbum

• 351 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:09 PM

maureen, do you know if that's the case if you have to have it renewed? I've been holding off due to the issue that gr8ful has...my passport is going to expire 3 months after our wedding date.

#9 isaidyes

• 269 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:58 PM

I'd wait too! No sense in stressing

#10 sarah310

• 172 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:39 PM

Thanks for the info! i was wondering the same thing...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users