Photo

Legal Jamaica wedding?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 avb1983

avb1983
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:26 AM

Can someone lead me in the right direction? :-) If I am getting married in Jamaica but live in CA, do I apply for a CA marriage license? I am sending a required notarized copy of birth certs to Jamaica but not sure what to do? I want this legal! lol...

#2 jk1101

jk1101
    • 2,582 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:18 AM

You can have a legal wedding in Jamaica if you want to. You only have to be in Jamaica a day or 2 beforehand, and have your birth certificate and divorce papers if applicable.
      The other way to do it is to get married in CA first at the courthouse (you see the girls on here talking about their "legal day") and then have a symbolic wedding in Jamaica.

#3 JanJan84

JanJan84
      • 83 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:27 AM

I'm not sure if CA is like NY but once we get married in Jamaica our marriage is legal in the state of NY as well so I do not have to do the whole court house thing. Find out from your county clerks office if A jamaica license is honored out there.

#4 kdnicholer

kdnicholer
        • 10 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:51 PM

Its legal I received a email from the wedding coordinator last night about it. Im still getting married in court though to be safe

#5 Meeka708

Meeka708
          • 31 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:54 PM

I Live in Philly Pa. I just called downtown and they gave me the OK.Other Islands are not acknowledge in the U.SI do suggest to get a extra copy of license just in case something happen to the one you will receive from Jamaica.Give it to either one of your parent of someone that you can trust.Then you won't be running rapid

#6 montegobay09

montegobay09
            • 832 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:34 PM

It's legal if you get married in Jamaica! No worries!

#7 YoursTruly

YoursTruly
              • 1,097 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:58 AM

No need to go to a courthouse. WHy spend th eextra fees? A marriage in Jamacia,legal and specified as such is also legal in the US.

#8 FutureMrsGlover

FutureMrsGlover
                • 284 posts
                • Wedding Date:October 10, 2015
                • Wedding Location:Jewel Paradise Cove Beach Resort and Spa Runaway Bay Jamaica
                • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:07 PM

This is great information. I am planning a Jamaican wedding and I was concerned if I would have to get married in the US first. 

Thank you!

#9 danielleandryan2015

danielleandryan2015
                • 100 posts
                • Wedding Date:January 19, 2038
                • Wedding Location:RIU Palace Tropical Bay, Negril Jamaica

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:28 AM

Yes I wondered this too but from what I have researched, Jamaica is one of the easiest places to get married and it all transfers legally to the US. Guess we made a good choice!

#10 DelightfulDani

DelightfulDani
                • 99 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:36 AM

My friend got married in Jamaica and she did the legal paper work in Jamaica and then submitted to the states when she returned

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users