Sign in to follow this  
~*Kathy*~

"Gift" from my Parents (rant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraisobeachbride2009 View Post
Mel&B - Aww that's so nice of your family to be so generous! :) You are so blessed to have such a wonderful family!

I know that that is the same reason why my parents paid for my sisters and that's fine but why label it as a "gift" when I know that both of my sisters are fully capable of paying their own way there and the only reason that my parents paid for their trip because they whined (mostly my younger sister did this and she hardly has any living expenses) anyway?
Thanks! :)

To be fair, the difference in our situations is that my sister and some family members would not be able to afford without my parents help, so I'm ok with it, but I do see your point. :)

My dad offered to pay for my trip but I refused, he's living on nothing in Bali so it wouldn't be fair. FMIL has offered jack shite, zip, nowt lol FI isn't arsed but I'm mega pissed off lol don't get me wrong I'd tell her to give to FI anyway, but she has paid for both sisters whole weddings and his brothers wedding reception! so why does FI, who is the youngest, never given them any trouble or asked for anything, get shat on!!! that's because she is a total and utter cow bag lol

Sorry hijack but I am growing increasingly more pissed off with her lol

So you see you aren't on your own most people are off their heads lol

I can totally understand how you feel and you have every right to be a little annoyed! As you said, they could have done it without labeling it a "gift".

The same thing happens all of the time with my sister- she is super irresponsible and broke because of it.. yet she gets everything handed to her. It's like we get punished for being the responsible ones, taking care of our own things, and not whining!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinaM View Post
It's like we get punished for being the responsible ones, taking care of our own things, and not whining!
OMG yes! This is what I tell my DH all the time!! We are totally being punished for being responsible and not whining...what a backwards world we live in!

Harty - That sucks, what's FMIL's problem?! Sheesh! sad.gif

This has nothing to do with my DW, but it does have to do with my parents forking out dough to help my sister - so I thought I'd share!

My sister graduated college in 2007. She started working full-time at the office where she worked part-time during college. When she changed to full-time she didn't update her tax information, so she only forked out $300 for the entire year, because that is how much she paid in taxes when she worked part-time. So when she (and when I say she, I mean my MOM) did her taxes, she owed the government over $3,000.

Yes, that sucks a ton, but that just means that she was pocketing all that money through the whole year that you and I were paying in taxes, right? My parents are paying it for her and not asking her to pay them back...and she isn't offering or arguing that she should. How is that fair? So she spends the entire 2008 shopping with money I was paying in taxes, and now she is off scott-free? Sounds like B-S to me!!!

Whew, I feel better now wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraisobeachbride2009 View Post
OMG yes! This is what I tell my DH all the time!! We are totally being punished for being responsible and not whining...what a backwards world we live in!

Harty - That sucks, what's FMIL's problem?! Sheesh! sad.gif
That's so funny b/c that was what my mini-breakdown to my dad was all about. My sister that is a total *up and doesn't work or try to support her kid (and she's 37) gets EVERYTHING from my dad. Heck, he even bought her a house that she never paid rent on (though she was supposed to). Me, I haven't asked for a dime since I was 18 and when I inquire about wedding stuff get told that they want to take away from my day to give something to her, uh-uh. Because I've done everything "right" I get punished while she who has done nothing "right" gets everything. So frustrating! Phew ~ that does feel better though.

Fortunately, FI is an only child and his parents love me so we can be only children on that side. :)

Oh I hear ya!!! FI and I are paying for our wedding on our own. My FI's parents keep telling us that they are going to "help out", but have yet to contribute one red penny. They HAVE, however, paid for flights AND hotel for both of FI's brothers and thier wives to go down.