Flying with Wedding Dress

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 pugmomjenn

pugmomjenn
  • Banned
  • 138 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:25 PM

Hi All! Sorry if this is in the wrong place. My DW will be in Jamaica in October 2009. Trying to finalize travel plans, and I am quite sad after calling the airline regarding carrying on my wedding dress. US Air has told me it is not permitted because it would exceed the size of the carry on. I know dresses have to get to resorts somehow, and that most brides aren't going to be folding up a dress to go into a suit case. Can anyone offer any suggestion, or what have your experiences been? Thanks! Jenn

#2 punkie569

punkie569
    • 255 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:32 PM

That's horrible! I've never even thought that I won't be able to carry my dress onto the plane. I hope you can find some way to get your dress to Jamaica. Good luck!
      Two lives, two hearts joined together in friendship united forever in love

#3 pugmomjenn

pugmomjenn
      • Banned
      • 138 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:39 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by punkie569
        That's horrible! I've never even thought that I won't be able to carry my dress onto the plane. I hope you can find some way to get your dress to Jamaica. Good luck!
        Yes just when I thought I had most all the big details in order here comes a big snow ball! I know they don't accept them in the mail, and I'd hate to go and cross my fingers that they will hang it on the plane. No wonder brides turn into bridezilla...lol. I'll let you know when I figure something out...I'm sure it will be helpful to all.

#4 meli122

meli122
        • 269 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:42 PM

Ive heard of brides carrying on their dress and placing it in the first class closet or an overhead bin. I think the attendants would be sympathetic if they know the situation.

#5 Nov-09-Bride

Nov-09-Bride
          • 63 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:05 PM

My BFF got married in the DR in April 08 and she brought her dress on the plane with her! We flew with West Jet and they were great at accomodating her. Unfortunately they didn't have a closet for her to hang it in, but she stored it in an over head bin. Then she had the resort staff steam her dress the day before the wedding. I hope that everything works out for you. I know I wouldn't feel comfortable with sending it ahead.. Worse case scenario u pack it in a suit case and inquired at the resort about a steaming service.

Hope this helps.

#6 YoursTruly

YoursTruly
            • 1,097 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:11 PM

One BDW mother mentioned the fact that she rollled her daughters dress and put it in a pullman and it was fine. Definitely have the resort steam the dress!

#7 Tracy_S

Tracy_S
              • 268 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:41 PM

Thats funny I actually just talked to my TA about this same thing and she told me that when I was booking my flights to mention that I was a bride and she said that they would be very accomodating and most likely place it in the captains closet... so I am hoping that is the case!! I guess I will have to see when the time comes!

#8 merocket59

merocket59
                • 937 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:55 AM

You should check to see if there is a captains closet on the place and ask that the dress be placed in there, but not all airlines have them (I know American does and Jet Blue does not but I'm not sure about other airlines) HTH

#9 Mrs.Captain

Mrs.Captain
                  • 156 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 02:56 PM

We flew WestJet to Mexico and they didn't have a closet, which we knew in advance and were told that we could put it in an overhead bin. Luckily the flight attendants were wonderful and we put it in the bin where they kept the blankets and pillows.

Good luck,
                    Jen
                    Jennifer & David
                    January 22, 2009
                    Grand Palladium, Riviera Maya, Mexico

http://i411.photobuc....100_4747-1.jpg

#10 pugmomjenn

pugmomjenn
                    • Banned
                    • 138 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:31 PM

Thanks all. I'm crossing my fingers US Air will work out for me. Seriously how could a flight attendant deny me a space for a wedding dress? Hoping we aren't on a super small prop jet for the first leg of our trip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users