• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#41 vgirl17

• 315 posts
  • Wedding Date:April 24, 2010
  • Wedding Location:Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort, Cancun, Mexico
  • LocationVacaville, CA

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:08 PM

I think I may drop my middle name and use my maiden name and then use my FI last name. I hadn't really thought too much about it until right now so I guess I'll talk with him about it tonight to see what he thinks :)

#42 PaddleAddict

• 63 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:17 PM

I can't wait to change my last name! I'll be 32 when I get married, so you'd think I would be attached to my last name, but nope. I am just looking forward to not having to spell my last name every single time I give it to someone (FI's last name is much simpler than mine!).

#43 Dianna

• 358 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:14 AM

I changed mine when I got married, but kept my maiden name for my photography business.

#44 DGG

• 275 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Dianna
        I changed mine when I got married, but kept my maiden name for my photography business.
        That's what I was thinking of doing - keep my name professionally but take his name for everything else.. but then do you get into trouble with your SS card or working under a different name??

#45 Hartyt509

• 2,262 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:19 AM

I'm defo not changing mine its the one i was born with and the one that i will keep lol I've been married before and I didn't change it then either lol its funny when i look at my divorce certificate its in my maiden name lol

FI couldn't care less lol there is argument however about what our kids will be called i keep putting my name last with a hyphen lol the way i look at it when the kid is born i'll be the one registering it so tough lmfao

I told my dad I wasn't changing my name and he said "that's my girl" lmao there are only 2 of us left so i feel i need to carry it on and anyway FI's surname is the one his mother changed anyway not his birth name so he can shut it lol

#46 LisaB

• 87 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:19 AM

I am talking my FI last name.... For really no other reason then tradition... I love traditions...
            I am a feminist and I feel that a last name does conceal my identity or make me less of a feminist by taking his name. I feel that having the option of not taking his name is what I like. Women have a choice to do and be who they want to be... Women have come a long way in this world and I think we show our independence and strength in a lot more ways then a last name!!!

#47 nibsmom

• 564 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:28 PM

I will be taking my fiance's last name for a few reasons - first, I also have a very long and complicated Italian last name...and right now, no one can pronounce my first OR last name...LOL! His last name is much simpler. Second, he is pretty traditional, and I know his feelings would really be hurt if I didn't. It's not hurting my feelings to take his name at all! Lastly, similar to what someone else said, by shedding my last name I feel like I'm shedding my bad family history. It's been a long 27 years of craziness and I'm ready to just move on!!

#48 cabobride6/22

• 19 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:33 PM

I am keeping my name for the time being. My fiance and I have also been together for almost 9 years, but he thinks me keeping my name is fine-he wouldn't want to change his. I have had mixed reactions from people I have told, I like my name and don't see any reason to have to have a new one. Maybe if I have kids I will change it, but for now it will stay. Good luck!

#49 silverangel

• 216 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:01 PM

Ever since I was a little girl, I've always dreamed of what my new last name would be when I got married...but for some reason, as it finally starts to take reality, a part of me is sad to lose the name I've had for 28 years!
                  I guess I always thought it would have happened a lot sooner and I wouldn't be so attached.
                  But in the end I am going to change it, I too am big on traditions.

#50 jenniebey

• 842 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:06 PM

My FI did the same thing. I had toyed with the idea of not changing my name and then he starts telling me about his friend's wife who hasn't changed her name and how rude that is! I guess that means I'm changing it! LOL.

But seriously, I'm going to use both names at work. It's just too hard otherwise. I think part of me feels like to stay an independent woman, I need that to stay. I don't know.

It is funny how guys are so touchy about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users