Post here if you are getting married in Jamaica

• Please log in to reply
1071 replies to this topic

#821 acw271011

acw271011
  • Moderators
  • 3,128 posts
  • Wedding Date:October 20, 2011
  • Wedding Location:We tied the knot in Runaway Bay, Jamaica and renewed our vows in Mexico on our 4th Anniversary
  • LocationToronto Area

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:44 AM

they do everything for you there. you won't get your marriage certificate right away. we got married in October and just got our certificate last week finally, but they did give us a copy of the register to take with us so that we at least had proof. it just won't work for changing your name. but yes - definitely get certified documents that have to stay in Jamaica with the Registrar. we both had our original divorce decree that we left there, and just kept certified copies.

Originally Posted by NLF313 

Thanks for the info ladies!! So basically we should request another certified copy of both our birth certificates and his divorce papers so that we can leave a copy in Jamaica? Oh, and this is probably a dumb question but we do not have to get a marriage license here in WI correct? They will do all the paper work in Jamaica?

Nichole

I said "yes" again to the love of my life at Grand Coral Beach Club, Playa del Carmen, Mexico on our 4th anniversary - October 20, 2015

http://www.bestdestinationwedding.com/topic/78874-acw271011-so-this-is-not-a-planning-thread-but/

event.png

#822 kat2012

kat2012
  • 602 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:02 PM

It depends on what resort you will get married at. All we did was sent our certified birth certificates and that was it. They never asked us to show originals. Also we got this piece of paper that was part of marriage certificate and I changed my drivers license and few other cards without any problems. Clerks sometimes don't know the difference LOL

Originally Posted by NLF313 

Thanks for the info ladies!! So basically we should request another certified copy of both our birth certificates and his divorce papers so that we can leave a copy in Jamaica? Oh, and this is probably a dumb question but we do not have to get a marriage license here in WI correct? They will do all the paper work in Jamaica?

Nichole

#823 bride6262

bride6262
    • 582 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:35 PM

For anyone getting married at the RIU i asked if the small birth certificate was ok to use instead of having to order the long form and keisha said yes.... she responded by saying

The short form birth certificate is acceptable, you can send your documents via registered mail.

also if you need to get somethign notarized and dont want to pay $ for it you can go to your local MP and they will do it for free!!

#824 kat2012

kat2012
      • 602 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:41 PM

We sent our short versions too :D

Originally Posted by Krysta lee ann 

For anyone getting married at the RIU i asked if the small birth certificate was ok to use instead of having to order the long form and keisha said yes.... she responded by saying

The short form birth certificate is acceptable, you can send your documents via registered mail.

also if you need to get somethign notarized and dont want to pay $ for it you can go to your local MP and they will do it for free!!

#825 NLF313

NLF313
        • 8 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:00 AM

This has all been very helpful... thanks everyone!! This is such a great site!

#826 Soontobe Mrs201

Soontobe Mrs201
          • 9 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:24 AM

Omg I love this site. I was sooo lost until I found this site. I am so excited and prepared for our wedding! Thanks Ladies hopefully I can be of some help.

#827 albellis

albellis
            • 146 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

I am truly excited to get married in Jamaica next year. I have already found so many great ideas and helpful brides on this site!

User Name: albellis

Name: Andrea (FI is Dave)

Wedding: April 27, 2013
              in JA: 04/24/13 - 05/02/13

#828 thottes

thottes
              • 19 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

Name: Tabatha (FI is Felix)
                Wedding: June 30, 2012
                in JA: 06/27/12 - 07/03/12

#829 thottes

thottes
                • 19 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

Name: Tabatha (FI is Felix)
                  Wedding: June 30, 2012
                  in JA: 06/27/12 - 07/03/12

#830 DaniScales2b

DaniScales2b
                  • Site Supporter
                  • 50 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

Hi All!  Planning a wedding in Jamaica for April 2013.  Any suggestions on locations?  Right now I'm tied between Iberostar Rose Hall Grand and Secrets St. James/Wild Orchid Montego Bay.  Any advice would be great!  Thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users