Photo

Is anyone else worried about hurricanes and their DW?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Amarillis

Amarillis
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:21 PM

As a future Cuban bride, I am definately concerned... CNN.com says that Varadero has recently evacuated 9000 tourists, but they make no mention of evacuation of the locals. My dear friend Maureen is due to have her first child any day now, and lives in downtown Varadero. I am worried for thier safety.

I am also concerned about the devastation that IKE could cause to the Varadero area, and to our pending wedding.

It has been three years since KATRINA and the city still isn't back to normal....

Just worried, that's all; and praying for our dear Cuban friends.

#2 alishadawn20

alishadawn20
    • 33 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:04 PM

My gosh I'm having a minor hear attack! I hope everythings okay down there.

Hopefully there isn't too much damage and that everyone is okay.

#3 CayoLargo

CayoLargo
      • 177 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:08 PM

I am with you Amarillis...the people are really get hit and it is hard to get information about what is going on specifically in the areas.

I am also worried about the resorts that many brides are using to get married in the next few months. I know that resorts usually spring back quite quick but I feel horrible for those brides getting married in Cuba in the next few months...

If anyone has been down there since the Hurricanes let us know what it looks like and what is happening...
        Engaged: December 25, 2007
        Married: February 4, 2009
        Wedding Destination: Cuba
        Wedding Resort: Sol Cayo Largo
        http://www.mywedding...rheannasweddinghttp://www.pictage.com/625373

#4 teacherbride

teacherbride
        • 354 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:03 PM

I was watching this on the news this morning too. Has anyone heard anything about Holguin?

Man, I really hope the people there are okay.

#5 alishadawn20

alishadawn20
          • 33 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:57 PM

Yah if anyone hears anything keep us all posted. In the mean time lets all cross our fingers!

#6 sally

sally
            • 302 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:44 AM

I have a friend that has just come back from cuba he is due back to work tomorrow so will let you know I think he stayed in the cayos

#7 2bebridejamaica

2bebridejamaica
              • 1,206 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:59 AM

I am always checking the reports and possible tracks of the storms. Oh this freaks me out to no end. I just dislike hurricanes in general for everyone with the upheaval of things and how lives change in most of these countries... they will always be devistating to me.

#8 mswenna74@yahoo.com

mswenna74@yahoo.com
                • 94 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:29 AM

Im going crazy thinking about the weather my wedding date is 9/9/09 at the Riu Ochos Rios, and I would have to take my family and loved ones to a hurricane, and plus I dont no what is going to happen if it rains all day were will the wedding be, I hate getting rained on
                  SeaofLove.Wedquarters.com

#9 LIW

LIW
                  • 197 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:44 PM

I'm a little concerned even though we're not getting married util october 2009

We're heading down the week of the 24th to 31st. It's still technically hurricane season. I'm keeping track of the weather and hoping it's good this October and that this year's weather will be a predicter for next year's weather.
                    http://www.weddingco.../rbe6xizbgt.png

38 people plus bride and groom coming to Cuba!

#10 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                    • 18,759 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:39 PM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by LIW
                      I'm a little concerned even though we're not getting married util october 2009

We're heading down the week of the 24th to 31st. It's still technically hurricane season. I'm keeping track of the weather and hoping it's good this October and that this year's weather will be a predicter for next year's weather.
                      it doesn't really work that way. you can have a huge hurricane this oct & nothing next year. there are charts online that show the stats on hurricanes. I looked at those carefully before I picked my date. June is the start of the season, but there were no instances of hurricanes in the area in june.

season runs june-nov, but their are definitly peak months. you also want to think about being late in hurrcane season or right after it, because it can take a while to recover. the resorts do usually clean up fast as long as it wasn't a huge storm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users