Buck and Does

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 chicklet

chicklet
  • 718 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:16 AM

Hi all,

Just wanted some feedback from people that had buck and does before their destination wedding. Did it go well?? Did you have a lot of people show up? Was it worth it due to the fact that everyone couldn't make it to the wedding?
    We chose not to do a AHR but are considering a the possibility of maybe a buck and doe so we can share some time with the people that couldn't attend the wedding. I am worried that this will seem as if we are just out for money and that is not the case.
    What do you ladies think?

#2 Kelly C

Kelly C
    • 2,051 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:21 AM

Ok, What bucks and does?
      Kerrington Danielle was born 6/23/09 12:31 pm 7lbs 14oz.

http://i295.photobuc....e/IMG_9487.jpg

#3 seaprincess

seaprincess
      • 753 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:07 PM

I am convinced it is a canadian thing...a buck and doe (in Ottawa we always call them Stags) are parties where the bridal party/bride and groom host a party at a hall and charge cover, and have games and 50/50 draws and all the cash goes to help fund the wedding. You invite any person you have ever met and everyone dances and parties....they're usually a really good time and a couple can make upwards of $7000 if its well organized and the money from the bar goes to them too.
        Lindsay and Jamie - January 28, 2009

#4 Sloan

Sloan
        • 1,279 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:50 PM

I'm in Ingersoll ON, just down the road from you Chicklet! Im originally from London. FI and I are having our Buck n' Doe at the end of February. We arent having an AHR, and the vast majority of our guest list is unable to attend our wedding in Jamaica in April. So we decided that a Buck n' Doe is a good way to have everyone that cant make it, get together and have a good time gambling and drinking!

#5 lucy106

lucy106
          • 2,880 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:53 PM

Kelly, glad you asked what it was cuz I had not a clue. But dang that sounds like fun!!!!

#6 ericaandsy

ericaandsy
            • 259 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:59 PM

I've never heard of this before!

#7 teacherbride

teacherbride
              • 354 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:11 PM

In Manitoba (Canada) we call them "socials." Tickets are usually $10 and guests drink and dance like crazy! There's always a silent auction and usually a 50/50 draw. Another tradition is the "late lunch," which consists of platters of sausage, rye bread, pickles and cheeses. Tons of people who get married here have them. We're calling ours Hallowedding Social and we're hosting it on Halloween night, costumes will be mandatory!

#8 tvt

tvt
                • VIP Member
                • 4,812 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 06:45 PM

hmmm this sounds interesting. so the guests have to pay to attend this?

#9 teacherbride

teacherbride
                  • 354 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 06:48 PM

Yep, usually the wedding party and family sell tickets to anyone and everyone they know! Tickets are usually $10 and most socials here have about 250-400 people attending, whether they know they bride and groom or not :)

#10 godaloveme

godaloveme
                    • 282 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 06:54 PM

Wow I'm canadian and have never herd of this eather !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users