Photo

The new Dreams Tulum thread! (Post all DT Qs&As here)

• Please log in to reply
5541 replies to this topic

#3721 *Krista*

*Krista*
  • 819 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:33 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SunBride
    I don't think any of the past brides have used this photographer before.

I only had 10 guests, you can read my review to answer your questions.

if you look at the detailed bride list on page 1, it says how many guests they had, and you could read their review too (the links don't work due to a forum upgrade, but you can just do an advanced search by username to find the reviews)

Well the restaurants may not accommodate you with a group of 12 even if you just walk in. Their policy is that more than 10 people is a "group" and requires the special accommodations and fee. This is because it's more work for them to cater to groups of this size. That being said, you may get lucky and be able to walk into a restaurant and get a big table all together or several tables next to each other. If you are only 10-12 then I can see this being the case, but I doubt it if you are 15-20 or more. But even if they do do it it's possible you may have to wait a long time for such a big table. But you can certainly try. However if you want to do a group dinner and guarantee that everyone sits together and that you don't wait forever you're probably better off going to the buffet.
    Hey Sunbride! THank you soooo much! That is super helpful since I was wondering what the dreams restaurant policy was for large groups. For the buffet, what are the food options like? I want to have a really nice sit down dinner where we are served - rather than having to go through a buffet line. That's why I was thinking probably SSG for wedding dinner, but we can't make reservations for a group table can we? We would just have to wait until a table for 10 opened up?
    July 10, 2010 ~ This was the day I married my best friend, the one I laugh with, live for, and love... ~ Mrs. Allen

#3722 northernflasher

northernflasher
    • 499 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 03:47 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by erinrachel
      I am getting so excited! My wedding is June 21st at 6pm. It looks like there will be close to 20 of us. More would be fun, but I'm kind of looking forward to having a smaller group. Has anybody else been married or getting married soon at DT with fewer than 25 people? I am interested in hearing about your reception and also what your experience was for getting dinner reservations for the group. My understanding is that less than 25 people can get reservations together at any of the restaurants? I am hoping to have a group dinner the first night everyone arrives, but that will be Sat. night so if it happens to be a fiesta night we would probably just meet on the patio.
      Not long now Erinrachael
      Hey Sunbride! THank you soooo much! That is super helpful since I was wondering what the dreams restaurant policy was for large groups. For the buffet, what are the food options like? I want to have a really nice sit down dinner where we are served - rather than having to go through a buffet line. That's why I was thinking probably SSG for wedding dinner, but we can't make reservations for a group table can we? We would just have to wait until a table for 10 opened up?
      The buffet is nice but food temperature varies, the waiters in world cafe seem to really take care of larger groups, bringing shots of tequila, replenishing drinks etc but you will have to go through the buffet line.
      Our nicest experience of the buffet was at the Caribbean party night on fridays.
      If you wish for something sit down I would ask to speak to the restaurant managers ahead of time, hubby's mum did this and managed to get us all together into the wine cellar of portofino which was nice and private. The condition of this was that we bought wine from the cellar rather than drank all inclusive. The cheapest was $20 a bottle, we were a group of 12 and we just bought a few bottles at $25 each. Im not sure if this would have worked out cheaper to go through the WC and try to have her organise a group booking but his mum did it as kind of a gift so we didn't enquire. Our only issue here was that the service was painfully slow and they seemed to have accepted our group booking, and of course our money, without having the staffing available to cope. From past positive reviews I assume this was a one off, maybe staffing issues, but I would hate for it to happen on your wedding or rehearsal dinner.

If you want SSG for your wedding dinner I would say definately get your WC involved to ensure the level of service is up to scratch.
      Michelle X

PLANNING THREAD:http://bestdestinati....-thread-58694/DREAMS TULUM REVIEW: MARCH 2010:http://bestdestinati....-2010-a-59147/EXCURSIONS AND SIGHTSEEING REVIEW IN RIVIERA MAYA: MARCH 2010:http://bestdestinati...com/fo...ra-...

#3723 *Krista*

*Krista*
      • 819 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:19 PM

Hey Northernflasher! Thanks! I was assuming that if I paid the extra fee for setup in a restaurant for a group of 10 people, that that meant, they would just basically make us a reservation, but that we wouldn't have special servers or waiters, special private area, etc., which is why I absolutely refuse to pay for that, seeing as it's something that is part of the all-inclusive. However, if there is special service that we get for being a wedding party, I may consider paying extra for the WCs to set that up. If I get poor service though, and I paid the extra, I would be extremely peed off! LOL!

I have considered just having my mom or someone else go right when the SSG opens up and request a table for 10, that way we would be one of the firsts in line and should be able to get in right away. My mom, like me, also thinks it's ridiculous to pay just for the WCs to tell the restaurant servers to push a few tables together for our group.

Our whole group will be there for pretty much the full two weeks, so I hope we don't have too much trouble getting tables at restaurants for 6,8,10 people. I understand that some places don't have the seating for that many all together, but even tables close together would be sufficient. I think that is not too unreasonable of me to expect, considering the price we are paying to stay there for 2 weeks!

Sorry, I don't mean to sound b*tchy, because I'm very generous and gratuitious, however, I expect something in return such as being able to enjoy my dinners with my guests who have travelled half way around the world to be there for my wedding and vacation. :) Sorry, just my vent....
        July 10, 2010 ~ This was the day I married my best friend, the one I laugh with, live for, and love... ~ Mrs. Allen

#3724 SaraMexicoBride

SaraMexicoBride
        • 23 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:53 PM

Hey ladies,
          I'm curious on a few things. I'm wondering if we should go through a TA or book seperately with the hotel and airline. It almost seems cheaper to go through them seperately and go straight through the hotel but that makes me nervous in terms of cancellation insurance and how I'm going to get my guests to the hotel since I won't have the tour company's busses from the airports if i book seperately. Any opinions? What did you guys do?
          And can you book your wedding date before you book your trip? Or do you have to pay for the trip and then pick a date?

Thanks everyone! Much appreciated!

#3725 mimi73

mimi73
          • 282 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:04 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by SaraMexicoBride
            Hey ladies,
            I'm curious on a few things. I'm wondering if we should go through a TA or book seperately with the hotel and airline. It almost seems cheaper to go through them seperately and go straight through the hotel but that makes me nervous in terms of cancellation insurance and how I'm going to get my guests to the hotel since I won't have the tour company's busses from the airports if i book seperately. Any opinions? What did you guys do?
            And can you book your wedding date before you book your trip? Or do you have to pay for the trip and then pick a date?

Thanks everyone! Much appreciated!
            We booked with a TA. Not sure about the cheaper aspect, but we booked early enough that we got a fantastic deal through AC Vacations. Using a TA and a charter also meant that we (us and our guests) were guaranteed to be on the same flights (the party will start at take-off!). This was important as my parents are bringing our kids back for us as we are continuing on to Belize the week after the wedding for our honeymoon :) It was far less headache for us, plus it is nice for the guests who don't have much time to web search to find the best deals, they could just call and give a credit card # and they were booked.
            We did have some friends book separately, some have used points for flights, some booked through expedia, etc. The majority used the TA though. Just a thought, the people who booked flights separately had to worry about transfers, baggage allowances (if they booked through certain US companies), it can just create a bit more work.
            As for booking a wedding date, we decided what week we wanted, and a general idea for date, booked our trip and then solidified the date.
            http://tickers.Ticke....8901/event.png

Bride and Groom + 42 guests booked!

#3726 fillandspill

fillandspill
            • 17 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:38 PM

hi we are doing the legaly at home hopefull on 5/5/11 and doing symbolic on 5/10/11 in mexico

#3727 turtlegirlie

turtlegirlie
              • 11 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 03:03 AM

I just finished reading through all the posts on this thread and I am so thankful I did! I got a lot of questions answered and a lot of good ideas! Thanks so much ladies! Quick question. I wanted to do maracas for the wedding, is there anywhere to buy them in Mexico? I don't really want to bring them with me. Thanks!

#3728 northernflasher

northernflasher
                • 499 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:33 AM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by turtlegirlie
                  I just finished reading through all the posts on this thread and I am so thankful I did! I got a lot of questions answered and a lot of good ideas! Thanks so much ladies! Quick question. I wanted to do maracas for the wedding, is there anywhere to buy them in Mexico? I don't really want to bring them with me. Thanks!
                  Hiya, we took a trip to Playa Del Carmen where you can buy maracas everywhere! They are the really nice round authentic ones in a wide varietyof colours, assorted shapes, most with cute handpainted scenes on one side such as fish, birds, flowers etc. They range from $1 - $2 each and you will definately get a better price for bulk orders.
                  If I were to change one thing about my pre wedding planning it would be to schedule in a shopping trip prior to my wedding and buy my maracas in Mexico. I wasted so much time, stress, energy not to mention valuable luggage space bringing them from home. Save yourself the hassle and go authentic when you get there.
                  Happy shopping
                  Michelle
                  Michelle X

PLANNING THREAD:http://bestdestinati....-thread-58694/DREAMS TULUM REVIEW: MARCH 2010:http://bestdestinati....-2010-a-59147/EXCURSIONS AND SIGHTSEEING REVIEW IN RIVIERA MAYA: MARCH 2010:http://bestdestinati...com/fo...ra-...

#3729 Mccrary

Mccrary
                  • 45 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 12:20 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by northernflasher
                    Hiya, we took a trip to Playa Del Carmen where you can buy maracas everywhere! They are the really nice round authentic ones in a wide varietyof colours, assorted shapes, most with cute handpainted scenes on one side such as fish, birds, flowers etc. They range from $1 - $2 each and you will definately get a better price for bulk orders.
                    If I were to change one thing about my pre wedding planning it would be to schedule in a shopping trip prior to my wedding and buy my maracas in Mexico. I wasted so much time, stress, energy not to mention valuable luggage space bringing them from home. Save yourself the hassle and go authentic when you get there.
                    Happy shopping
                    Michelle
                    Are you able to buy other things there at playa de carmen? I am thinking of doing the whole Mexican thyme with Maracas and the colored small blankets for the tables as decorations and was wondering if we could also purchase those there. Or what other cool thing you saw to purchase as decor. Thanks

#3730 BrideBarbie

BrideBarbie
                    • 136 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:46 PM

Thanks for the tip on buying the maracas in PDC! I'm getting nervous thinking about all of the stuff we have to take with us just for the wedding.

I do have a random question if anybody can put their two cents in.... I have been reading that people recommend water shoes for the beach at Dreams Tulum. Do ya'll agree who have been there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users