Rising travel costs - any hassle from guests?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 lm3682

• 40 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:27 PM

For those of you who have recently sent out STD's or invites, do you expect the rising cost of travel to significantly affect the guests that can afford to come? Have guests that you didn't expect money to be an issue raised the the concern of the cost to attend?

I already feel like I'm asking guests to pay a lot to attend my wedding. Now that it'll likely be even more expensive with soaring airline costs/fuel costs, is it a more difficult request to make? I can see some people thinking it's just plain rude given the economy. I don't need everyone there, but am hoping most people can still afford to come. (No location confirmed yet, but will almost certainly be Playa del Carmen) Thanks!

#2 LadyCheese

• 1,830 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:33 PM

The cost of travel has significantly affected the number of people who cant attend. The majority of my family will not be attending but they never travel anywhere anyway and I didnt invite a lot of them exactly bc of that!! But certain friends that we just knew they would go & didnt think it would be an issue, including my cousin/ex-MOH, have backed out bc the price is too much. But overall most of our close friends have come through and booked and we expect a few more. My next concern is the fuel surcharge the airlines may add to the overall cost of their tickets!! Hnag in there, I know its tough but its something you have to expect when deciding on a DW; not everyone will be able to attend. This sucky economy doesnt help much either.

#3 JHarwood2Be

• 687 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:46 PM

I'm really worried about it too. Things are so much different than they were when we decided to do a DW in December. I'm hoping that we will have somewhat of a turnout. But I understand if people can't go. Still stinks though!
        Photography by Tamm's Photos

#4 JennyK

• 3,502 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:55 PM

Do you guys get nervous when people ask you about the travel prices? I always start to sweat like.."omg omg omg how am I going to tell them they have to spend x amount of money" This economy sucks big donkey you-know-what.

#5 LadyCheese

• 1,830 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:03 PM

I used to get nervous when I thought people may ask for the travel prices, etc. Even with my own parents, LOL, but they like to travel so luckily I didn't get too much lip from them.

#6 KLC77

• 2,207 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:04 PM

Travel prices are definitely an issue. I tried to pick something that would be a little more affordable for everyone, but none of them think our having a DW is rude by any means. Most realize the rising cost of having a regular at home wedding and think its great that we are saving money. We are very lucky tho that we have family and friends who would do pretty much anything for us (with the exception of my parents and one of FI's grandparents who would complain no matter what we did). Most of my guests have been able to pay their airfare in full to eliminate worrying about the rate going up, which I really didn't expect people to be able to afford.

Our Awesome Wedding Pics: http://www.delsolpho...ings/kelly&ron/

#7 SIMBASIM

• 466 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:31 PM

I AM FREAKING OU ABOUT AIRLINE PRICES!!! Everyone keeps asking me if they should buy now or wait. I am using airline miles so I have no worries but I cannot tell my guests that!!!!

#8 JaimeLynne

• VIP Member
                • 4,791 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 12:11 AM

I've just tried to give everyone an estimate on the higher end and am already advising them to book air as soon as they can... course, now with the increases the prices may be higher than my "high" estimate but what are you gonna do..

~ Jaime & Martin ~
                  "Rain or Swine! 2-0-0-9"

We had 24 people attend our wedding in Las Caletas, Mexico on May 24th, 2009!

We all stayed at The Marriott in P.V., and Honeymooned at The Royal Plantation in Ochos Rios, Jamaica!

#9 kr3611

• 127 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 12:20 AM

I'm in the same boat with our wedding, but a lot of the older family we invited don't even travel to Arizona and wouldn't consider going to Mexico regardless of the price. From the start, my FI and I agreed on who HAD to be there and just continue to focus on them. It's great if others can come but we understand - we'll have pictures and video to share afterwards.

#10 Hartyt509

• 2,262 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 06:46 AM

People are doing the same to us - its the usual yeah I'm booking on Friday!! now 2 months later they still havent lol

In actual fact my MOH is fast becoming an ex friend because of the way she is carrying on but hey what can you do

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users