If you have a cleaning lady....

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 yamille

• 1,460 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:49 PM

I think it is a sign from the universe that I am meant to clean my own apt. I hate major cleaning and FI does to so we agreed on a cleaning lady a few months ago. We are good on a day to day basis (for the most part) but tubs and toilets I hate.

Anyway, after having three seperate cleaning women come I realize that I just need to clean my own place. I have a hard time being firm with someone cleaning my place I think. I feel bad or something. It's silly. We live in a 1BR apt with a tiny bathroom, large LR and Kitchen in Queens and the last woman was charging $70. I guess that's standard NY prices even though my friend living in West palm beach has a 3BR house cleaned for $85. I digress.

The first few times the last one did a shoddy job so I went over what I would like to be done and she still was not doing basic- like moving the toaster and cleaning the crumbs. She would just wipe down the counter. I didn't care. She broke our ceramic cottonball/q-tip thing in the bathroom, I didn't care. I noticed that one of my necklaces was broken on mydresser. I didn't care. She then broke our french press when she was washing it. I think I'm done.

How much do you pay for a cleaning person if you have one?

#2 Kat81

• VIP Member
    • 7,615 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:54 PM

We don't have one right now. I have been looking into it though.. I have a four bedroom two and a half bath. It is pretty big. And I was quoted 75 dollars every two weeks. So, 125 a month.

#3 Yari

• VIP Member
      • 10,928 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:56 PM

We pay $180 a month, but we have a 2500 square foot home...5 bedrooms and three baths.

She comes twice a month and is awesome!

#4 Alyssa

• 11,793 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:56 PM

hey! we live in Phila and pay $125 for a 2bed place.

here is a list of questions i have for hiring a cleaner (i got it from a magazine a long time ago). the best suggestion i have is to write out your expectations and have them sign them that way you don't have expectations that are not being met.

*Do you bring your own equipment and cleaning supplies, or will we have to provide them?
          *Will you ever bring someone with you?
          *What if you're sick? Will you send someone else, or will we have to wait until your next scheduled visit?
          *Do you have a green card or a work Visa?
          *Are you bonded & insured with liability coverage?
          *How do you like to be contacted? phone? email?
          *Could we talk to other people you clean for?
          *Here is a list of our expectations...

#5 yamille

• 1,460 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:05 PM

Yari- $90- I'm in shock!

Alyssa those are great questions. Thanks!

#6 KGOESER

• 49 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:10 PM

Our cleaning lady quoted us $20/hr. The 1st time she came it took her 3 hours to clean our 2 story home (approx 1800 sq.ft.) and that has remained pretty constant. She comes 2x/month so thats $120/month. My mom cleans homes also and this is what she charges.

The 1st couple of times I had requests re: things she missed or that I would like her to do, and have had no problems since. WONDERFUL INVESTMENT...I wish I had a live in maid!

#7 Melissa G

Melissa G
              • 105 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:14 PM

I have a 1400 sq. foot, 3 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom townhome and my lady charges $80 every 2 weeks. She is also a "green" cleaner, so she only uses natural cleaning products, so I think she charges a little more than the other cleaners in the area.

#8 Yari

• VIP Member
                • 10,928 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by yamille
                  Yari- $90- I'm in shock!

Alyssa those are great questions. Thanks!
                  I mistyped and fixed it...it's $90 a clean.

#9 Martha

• VIP Member
                  • 3,906 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:40 PM

We don't have one...but, my parents do. They have a 2,400 sq. foot home and they pay $50 a week. She comes once a week. But, she is the daughter of one of my mom's friends so my mom leaves her weekly things to clean.

#10 anaderoux

• 3,220 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:54 PM

Mines comes twice a week and I pay her $20 each day.. so that's $160 a month

Oh but I live in Mexico, that's why it's cheaper! heheh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users