I dyed my crinoline... myself

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 9,504 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 11:10 PM

There are good ideas and there are some not so good ideas...

So, these are a couple of my inspiration pics:
    Click the image to open in full size.
    Click the image to open in full size.

It was much easier said than done. Of course, now that it is all said in done, I find this article on how to do it. eBay Guides - How To Dye Your Wedding Slip, Petticoat or Crinoline

In my defense, I did follow the directions on the Rit Dye website. The Hobby Lobby didn't have any aqua dye, but the website did have a recipe for aqua. In my head my slip would turn a lovely shade of pale aqua. Not so much! Whoever developed it so called recipe was smoking some BAD crack! It wasn't aqua, it wasn't blue, it was dirty teal!

So after the first dyeing round, I hated the color. I found "vivid turquoise" from another company and re-dyed it. It was better but still not what I wanted. I finally put a color kicker/remover on it with a little better result.

I have learned from my mistakes and if anyone wishes to dye her slip I can definitely help you out.

My first tip would be to only dye in an available color, don't attempt this mixing your own crap.

I'd also start with a smaller quantity of dye and if it is not dark/bold enough, re-dye and add more.

The gory details and pics are in my blog.

At this point I'm sticking with what I've got and just going with it! Thank goodness not many people will see it!

#2 Dez921714

• 1,489 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 11:29 PM

Now I have to go look at your blog...this is something I wanted to do, but if it's going to be a pain in the a$$ I might not...
      http://ticker.7910.o....25vdCBpbiA.gif27 Confirmed with Plane Tickets...5 with rooms booked!

150 INVITES / 6 YES / 13 NO

#3 ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 9,504 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:38 AM

I think if you can find a color that is already packaged, ie purple, fuschia, etc. you will be fine. It doesn't look that bad, it just doesn't match the picture I had in my head. The second batch of dye I used, the "vivid turquoise" was a really pretty color and had I started with that, I would have been fine.

#4 ACDCDCAC

• Moderators
        • 25,218 posts
        • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
        • LocationSeattle

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:48 AM

oh erin, i'm so sorry that didn't turn out how you'd hoped going to check blog now..

#5 Jenn3878

• 5,681 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:50 PM

What a good idea - I love the suprise of the color! Thanks for the tips Smurfette :) JK

#6 JennyK

• 3,502 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:04 PM

I saw in your other thread.. it looks so cool!

#7 nikkianddean

• 1,881 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:18 PM

i think that's such a cool idea....going to check out you blog...

Mr. & Mrs. C
              February 14, 2009

#8 jamisoncollette

• 1,257 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:35 PM

Erin I think it looks good! I wish I had a crinoline to dye now! PS, I loved the Smurfs:)

#9 Yari

• VIP Member
                • 10,928 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:22 AM

Erin, I really like it. You did a good job.

#10 lhc007

• 28 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:58 PM

Love this! I'm having black under mine . . . but purchashing black and grey tulle instead of dying it - it has such a beautiful effect. Matching your shoes to the color looks marvelous on camera too!
                    Create with Passion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users