Sign in to follow this  
Maura

when to register?

i've been engaged for 4.5 days and i've already had several people ask me where we're registered... obviously, we really haven't thought about it yet. how soon should we do this?

we registered about a week after we got engaged just because it's fun. :)

if you're having an engagement party then definately do it soon. if you aren't expecting gifts until the bridal shower then you have a lot of time.

You can really register whenever you want. It's pretty fun - so when you guys have some free time go to whatever store you'd like (pretty much every store has one these days) and just let them know you want to register.

I did mine about a month after I got engaged. I agree, it is fun! You can always add/delete stuff later, most stores have it online so it's very easy to update.

We decided to register in January. We figure we will run less of a chance of merchandise being out of stock after Christmas... or at least that is Shawn's way of postponing it :) My shower will be in Feb. so I think January will be fine.

We registered almost right away. As soon as we got engaged, FI said "I want to get a gun and shoot things at Crate and Barrel!"... it was kind of sad when we got there and our "gun" kept malfunctioning (it was like he took it personally)

haha galit thats cute. one of my friends told me "it's not appropriate to register right after getting engaged" and that you arent supposed to register until 3-4 months before the wedding because of the chance of items being discontinued or being seasonal. boo hiss to that. we probably aren't having an engagement party, so the first time people will probably give us presents is the shower, which wont be until probably june. anyway, if you arent "supposed to" register until 3-4 months out, why have a hundred people already asked me where we're registered for cryin out loud?

we waited because we weren't planning to do it, but when we changed our location and more people started RSVPing yes we decided we needed to do it. So we did it about 6 months before the wedding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauraw View Post
haha galit thats cute. one of my friends told me "it's not appropriate to register right after getting engaged" and that you arent supposed to register until 3-4 months before the wedding because of the chance of items being discontinued or being seasonal. boo hiss to that. we probably aren't having an engagement party, so the first time people will probably give us presents is the shower, which wont be until probably june. anyway, if you arent "supposed to" register until 3-4 months out, why have a hundred people already asked me where we're registered for cryin out loud?
we registered right away, and even though we didn't have an engagement party, people sent us gifts...i went thru every few days and updated, found new merchandise to add and old stuff to delete...b/c you can update it online, you can register asap!