#201 kcole123

kcole123
  • 850 posts
  • Wedding Date:April 17, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Melia Caribe
  • LocationPunta Cana, Dominican

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:54 PM

@pddcmc

Listen girl I totally get your panic...lol I am sitting here tonight looking at packing and don't even know where to start. I keep walking in the room and two seconds later I walk back out, then I come on this forum to see if there are any updates. I am just dragging my heals on this packing. I don't know how to pack it all so that it won't be totally destroyed. I went to Walmart here tonight for bubble wrap and surprise surprise there wasn't any. How are you wrapping your tumblers to protect them somewhat?

Kristy and Nathan

Melia Caribe Tropical

April 17, 2015

#202 pddcmc

pddcmc
  • 610 posts
  • Wedding Location:Dreams Riviera Cancun - North Beach
  • LocationColorado

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:58 PM

Tipping Etiquette for Weddings at an All-Inclusive Resort
An old post that I had made resurfaced, so I'm posting it again as a nice reminder for myself as we get ready to leave. 

This is from research on destination weddings, with the best results

• You do not need to tip your florist unless he/she does something spectacular or really out-of-the-floral-realm for you. If he tracks down the filling for your goody bags, or she blows your mind with something you weren't expecting, by all means, feel free to tip the florist. But it isn't something you need to build into your budget.
  • You don’t need to tip your caterer, but you will need to tip the servers and bartenders. If you don't have a wedding planner to guide you, ask the caterer what's appropriate per person.
  • Don't tip the photographer. If you adored her, order more prints!
  • Don't tip the wedding cake baker.
  • Don't tip a band, unless they stay extra time and don't bill you for it.
  • Tip a DJ if hes really, really good. $50 is more than enough.
  • If you're staying in a small hotel and you've taken over the whole place for your wedding, be sure to tip the hotel manager/concierge who has helped you with everything. You should also tip the breakfast or housekeeping staff, but you don't need to do it individually. Give a tip to the person in charge of that staff and ask them to split it with the people who worked during your wedding.
  • If you're staying at a villa or private property with a house manager or caretaker, tip if you're having the reception on the property and the person is being very helpful. Remember, the property owners made money on you. The caretaker or property manager is on salary and had to put up with you because it's part of his job. If they do a great job, acknowledge it. If you have daily maid service, it's appropriate to leave a tip of $2-$5 per day in your room. If you have a 5-bedroom house, you should tip $10 per day at the end of your stay if they did a good job.
  • Do not tip your wedding officiant.
  • Do not tip your rental equipment delivery guys as you paid a delivery fee already.
  • Finally, do tip your wedding planner. As self-serving as this may sound, I get asked this question a lot so I'm going to tackle it openly and honestly.

If you have a good wedding planner who is charging you a reasonable fee and isn't marking up your services, you should tip her at the end of your wedding if you are happy with her services. When deciding how much to tip, think about how much her total fee was, and think about how much money she saved you (there will be items that stick out when you think about it), and how challenging you may have been as a client. If you know you drove her nuts or were very demanding (and she was nice about it), compensate her for the extra time and effort she had to put in to your big day. Tip between 15 and 20 percent of her wedding fee. To some extend it's like a restaurant, if you were satisfied, go 15 percent. If you were thrilled and she did a great job for you, go 20 percent or more. If you felt like she dropped the ball, give her 10 percent, or don't tip her at all. A tip is supposed to be a gratuity for a job well done, whether it's a waitress, a hairdresser or a wedding planner.

The exception to the rule is the wedding planner who asks for a tip. That is just so gauche. Sometimes I'll make a joke about it to my clients when they're really super impressed with something I've done. When they're telling me how great I am or how much money I've saved them, I'll make some joke like remember that when it's time to tip me,†or something like that. But I've never ever told a bride up front that a tip was required, or asked a bride for a gratuity after the wedding. Some brides are just thoughtful. I've received lovely thank-you gifts and even sweeter notes — and those can be very rewarding as well.

If you don't use a wedding planner and a banquet manager or someone else from the hotel steps into that role for your wedding, be prepared to tip her at the end of the event as long as everything has gone smoothly. She is your de facto wedding planner and you should thank her for executing that role well. It doesn't need to be as much as you would tip a wedding planner, but a token to let her know her work was appreciated is more than appropriate.

So when your wedding planner gives you the list of tips you'll need for your wedding a few weeks before the big day, take a moment to think about whether you'll want to have some extra on hand to tip your planner too, assuming she delivers all that she promised on your wedding day. If in the end she doesn't deserve it, spend it on a spa day on your honeymoon.

Credit to @Sllefebvr
http://www.bestdestinationwedding.com/topic/76758-budgeting-for-tips-how-much/?p=1844818

I love him & he loves me, we'll be married by the sea.

Planning Journal & Blog

My wedding pictures from Del Sol Photography

#203 calgarybride2015

calgarybride2015
  • 4,506 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 21, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:01 PM

@pddcmc
Listen girl I totally get your panic...lol I am sitting here tonight looking at packing and don't even know where to start. I keep walking in the room and two seconds later I walk back out, then I come on this forum to see if there are any updates. I am just dragging my heals on this packing. I don't know how to pack it all so that it won't be totally destroyed. I went to Walmart here tonight for bubble wrap and surprise surprise there wasn't any. How are you wrapping your tumblers to protect them somewhat?

I got my bubble wrap at Dollarma but not all of them sold it. I had my tumblers wrapped individually just in case. What I did for packing of the smaller stuff is pack it into smaller Rubbermaid type bins (think shoe box size) and that helped contain it. Being in those bins also helped transport it to the WC office. I also bought larger/jumbo ziplock type bags and had one per table with the decor for each table so they knew what went where. Hahha with instructions in marker on them how to set it up. I thought I was being helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Kim

Married on 2015/01/21 at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya with 43 guests in attendance   :)

Planning Thread - http://www.bestdesti...s-riviera-maya/

Wedding Pictures http://www.bestdesti...ra-maya/page-36

Wedding Review http://www.bestdesti...31#entry1885600

#204 pddcmc

pddcmc
  • 610 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:12 PM

@pddcmc

I have done the exact same thing! And guess what? Not a single thing is packed. 

I think once I finish my last shift tomorrow, I'll feel like we are really leaving haha

I've noticed that I have really struggled with things feeling "real" and I don't know if that the army kid in me?

Anyway, back to your question...

Our tumblers came shipped in individual bubble wrap, so I'm going to reuse that. I didn't know Wal-Mart sold bubble wrap? I was going to go to a FedEx or something of that sort to purchase some. 

I am also concerned about my fans getting broken. I am going to go buy hard-shell luggage this weekend and hope that does the trick.

@kcole123

I will tell you that I almost didn't get my e-ring back today!
I wasn't home when they tried to deliver it, so I went to the post office to pick it up at 4:30. Well, my mail carrier wasn't back yet and the USPS closes at 5 pm. I decided to stay until close to see if I could get my package. (I called my jeweler in the meantime and he even sounded worried. He said,"I can't have you without your ring. Don't sit on this." While he is saying this I am thinking "Yeah, ok, Tom. No stress there!" *I can kind of laugh now that this is all over*) I guess the workers noticed that I was panicked, so they let me stay after hours with them until my carrier returned (she arrived at 5:30). While I was signing for my package they said, "all for that little thing?" I said, "once I have the package in my hands, I'll tell you what's in it." SO, I signed, they gave it to me, and I revealed that it had my engagement ring in it for my destination wedding. They gave me the biggest congratulations and wishes. A really scary situation turned out well  ;)

Edited by pddcmc, 09 April 2015 - 07:14 PM.

Planning Journal & Blog

#205 kcole123

kcole123
  • 850 posts
  • Wedding Location:Melia Caribe
  • LocationPunta Cana, Dominican

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:18 PM

@pddcmc yeah you must of been in panic mode for sure...lol I think we are more sensitive to panicking these days. I am really hoping I relax when I am on the beach cause honestly these last few days have been rush rush rush.  I don't want it to be that way down there, I want to enjoy every minute of it.

Kristy and Nathan

Melia Caribe Tropical

April 17, 2015

#206 pddcmc

pddcmc
  • 610 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:39 PM

@kcole123 I think things will calm down for us when we are at our locations. I think we are caught up in wedding mode, but it's a little more stressful because we are having DW and there are quite a few "extras" that go along with it. A glass of wine has helped me tremendously! (too bad I don't have any right now...)

I love what this girl has to say, thought I'd share  :)

Souce: http://alamocity.cit...my-best-friend/

I Didn’t Marry My Best Friend

by Candice on April 2, 2015 in AdviceHumorMotherhoodParenting

My husband and I are celebrating nine years of marriage this year. Those of you with double-digit anniversary numbers are probably rolling your eyes at me, and those of you with one or two years of marriage under your belts may think I might know a little about what I’m talking about.

I don’t.

After nine years we are still figuring it out and still failing and succeeding on a regular basis. However, I have learned a few things over the last nine years:

1. I didn’t marry my best friend.
Ugh, but that’s the standard phrase, right? When someone gets engaged or posts an anniversary pic, it’s usually captioned with “married my best friend” or something along those lines. In my case, it’s not true. I didn’t marry my best friend.

I met my best friend when I was six years old, and she is still my best friend today. She knows every detail of my life, from my first kiss down to my deepest secrets. When we get together, we giggle about that first kiss and talk about past boyfriends, Spring Break road trips, how my feet stink after a few hours of wearing my new Toms, how bad my cramps were with my last period, and how sometimes we feel like punching our kids in the nose (which we don’t, just for the record). We check out each other’s questionable moles, give honest feedback on whether that new dress makes our butts look big, and occasionally talk about how our husbands are driving us nuts but we love them anyway.

She doesn’t want to snuggle with me or kiss just for fun. She wouldn’t rub my feet unless there was a medically necessary reason. She thinks my kids are great but no doubt favors hers over mine.
That’s my best friend.

I married my lover, my partner. We snuggle and talk about how our kids are the best (and best-looking) things in the entire world. He rubs my feet (after a shower), and we work through the details of living a life side by side. We stress over bills together and work out what hurts deep in our hearts.

My husband doesn’t want to hear about my stinking Toms feet. Trust me—he’s well aware of them. He won’t tell me that my butt looks big in the new dress because he loves and fears me at the same time. He won’t investigate my questionable mole but will recommend I see a doctor, and he never, ever talks about my first kiss because, ewww.

I have the best friend a girl could ask for and have no desire to marry her. When I met my husband, she was the first person I wanted to tell that I had found the person I wanted to spend my life with, have children with, and call my husband, because those are the exciting things you share with your BFF.

2. Sometimes marriage just sucks.
Don’t you just love weddings? The gifts, the cake, the candles, the music, and the bride—oh, the beautiful bride! Here’s a secret: that’s just one day—a few hours, actually. A marriage has nothing to do with a wedding. Every marriage will face days when one or both want to throw in the towel and call it quits. Every marriage has days when you want to “accidentally” back over your spouse with your car, but since our cars come equipped with back-up cameras now, we can’t claim it as an accident and refrain. Marriage can be brutal.

3. Marriage totally rocks.
My husband knows me in a way that no one else will ever know. He knows every curve of my body and cherishes each detail that makes me who I am. He reminds me how awesome he thinks my body is for giving us our children and tells his friends what a wonderful mom he thinks I am. He knows by the arc in my eyebrow if I’m sad or mad, and either way he knows the cure. He makes sure there’s always coffee for me when I wake up, either out of fear of the monster I am without coffee or because he enjoys pleasing me. Every night when I go to bed I have the security of his strong hands wrapped around mine and know that through good, awesome, terrible, and downright horrible times, he will always be with me.

Marriage rocks when you know you are loved through all of your flaws and cherished for all of your gifts.

4. You can’t always have it your way.
I like my way. My way is the right way—I promise. I know how to perfectly fold a towel, change a baby’s diaper correctly, and arrange the dishes in the dishwasher—well, until I got married, that is. Compromising is not one of my strong skills. Who in the world taught this man the wrong way to fold a towel? As if it they are going to fit in the cabinet if they’re folded like that! When our triplets were born I almost had to duct tape my mouth shut so I wouldn’t give him step-by-step directions on how to “properly” (read: my way) change their diapers. He changed several of his first daughter’s diapers and she turned out great, so I let it slide with the triplets.

In a good and loving marriage you will need to learn to compromise, give in, let go, and shut up. Plus, a towel works the same way no matter how wrongly it is folded.

5. Marriage takes hard work.
It’s not fun to wash someone else’s dirty underwear, no matter how much you love them. It’s not fun to stay awake while the beast next to you blows down a forest with his growls, or snores, or whatever you want to call them. It’s not fun to have to be the light when someone else is in a dark place. It takes work—hard work. It takes far more work than it did to plan that fancy wedding or fit into that perfect dress. It takes serious, selfless devotion and commitment.

6. It’s a ton of fun.
There’s nothing like belly laughs with your spouse, the kind of laughs that remind you why you are together in the first place. There’s nothing sweeter than having your husband open your car door as if it were your first date. There’s nothing better than bragging on your kids to the one who totally gets how perfect they are. My husband likes to watch me ride my bike around the cul-de-sac, and I like to watch him dance with the kids. We like to tease each other and sneak in butt grabs when the kids aren’t looking. Marriage can be a ton of fun. You know what else is a ton of fun? Calling your best friend and giggling about how silly and awesome your husband is.

7. Sometimes the beauty comes after the storm.
A storm will hit your marriage sooner or later. Some marriages’ storms are worse than others. Some face hurricanes while others face drizzle. Marriages face death of loved ones, infidelity, broken trust, rebellious kids, financial ruin, or complete loss. Some face all of the above. I know for a fact that staying and fixing what broke will make you stronger. We’ve become such an instant gratification society that our quick fix is to walk away, but if you weather the storm, shelter each other from the debris, and pick up the pieces together you will discover that sometimes the beauty comes after the storm. When I repeated my vows to my husband and said, “for better or worse,” I meant it. I did not say, “for better or I’m bailing if things get hard.” Be brave in the storm.

I’m not an expert on marriage, and I probably have no business giving advice, but I do know that marriage can be messy and hard. I know that it can be beautiful and fulfilling. I know for sure that it can be bent and shaken, but it’s a lifelong journey. Appreciate and learn from the broken moments. Celebrate and dance in the good moments. It’s all worth it.

Edited by pddcmc, 09 April 2015 - 07:40 PM.

Planning Journal & Blog

#207 TinkerSofi

TinkerSofi
  • 2,217 posts
  • Wedding Date:August 13, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Azul Fives Playa del Carmen
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:43 PM

don't panic about the weather! Whenever I've gone and it says thundershowers it was the most gorgeous days ever. It might rain for like an hour and then the sun comes out and it's all nice again. 

Then, once I went where it rained on 4/7 days we were there and the stupid forecast kept calling for a sunny day the next day. Nope, it just kept on pouring. 

Moral of the story, the forecast lies hahah. You'll be ok :D 

event.png

#208 veryvalentine

veryvalentine
  • 678 posts
  • Wedding Date:June 20, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Grand Sunset Princess - Mayan Riviera
  • LocationToronto

Posted 10 April 2015 - 04:59 AM

@calgarybride2015  your posts always amaze me!  ziplock bags and plastic shoe containers!! of course!!  Wow, so organized.  I lvoe that you wrote the instructions for setup on the ziplock bags.

pdccmc  So excited for you and thank goodness your ring came in.  I think you bring up a good point. We are totlaly ultra sensitive.  i find i'm reacting to everything right now.  I can't imagine a few days away from departure. :)

Married on June 20th, 2015 at the Grand Sunset Princess Riviera Gazebo & Reception at the Chill Out with 60 guests

My planning thread:  http://www.bestdesti...unset-princess/

My review thread:  http://www.bestdesti...incess-wedding/

#209 calgarybride2015

calgarybride2015
  • 4,506 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 21, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 10 April 2015 - 05:04 AM

@calgarybride2015 your posts always amaze me! ziplock bags and plastic shoe containers!! of course!! Wow, so organized. I lvoe that you wrote the instructions for setup on the ziplock bags.

pdccmc So excited for you and thank goodness your ring came in. I think you bring up a good point. We are totlaly ultra sensitive. i find i'm reacting to everything right now. I can't imagine a few days away from departure. :)

I'm anal! But seriously it kept everything together and organized. A couple of my bins were double the size of shoe boxes but you got my drift. I found the jumbo sized ziplocks at dollarama.

I was a mess the month before and then a little more so the week before we left. The way you two are feeling is totally natural and par for the course. Once you leave for the airplane you will start to let that all go. The excitement takes over. Try to have faith in your WC and let it all go so you can enjoy your week and your day. Best advice I can give - let it go!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Kim

Married on 2015/01/21 at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya with 43 guests in attendance   :)

Planning Thread - http://www.bestdesti...s-riviera-maya/

Wedding Pictures http://www.bestdesti...ra-maya/page-36

Wedding Review http://www.bestdesti...31#entry1885600

#210 snswedding2016

snswedding2016
  • 667 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 9, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Azul Fives
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 10 April 2015 - 05:30 AM

@pddcmc Love the article you posted! I really identify with her first point of not marrying her best friend. Have you read "The Longest Date - life as a wife" by Cindy Chupak (one of the writers for Sex and the City), I think you would really enjoy it! I read it after I got engaged and loved it. 

Sending you all the good weather vibes!! Your wedding will be gorgeous! 

My planning thread - http://www.bestdesti...016-azul-fives/

event.png

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

Pddcmc's Planning Thread - 17 April 2015 - Dreams Riviera Cancun

By pddcmc in My Destination Wedding Blog, on 26 February 2015 - 03:41 PM

Source: Our Dw: Dreams Riviera Cancun 17 Apr 2015

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users