Sign in to follow this  
TammyWright

Hotelier posts fake reviews on tripadvisor

Hotelier posts fake reviews

JAMES ADAMS

A SCOTS hotelier has been artificially boosting his establishment's ratings by making up reviews and posting them online, it emerged last night.

David Bremner, owner of the Drumnadrochit Hotel by the banks of Loch Ness, was reported to have admitted writing glowing accounts from non-existent guests on the TripAdvisor website for travel information.

Bremner wrote: "My parents stayed many years ago and said what a lovely spot this place was. They were so right!"

Another fake recommendation stated: "Well done to the staff, who were really charming ... The food is outstanding ... Believe me you'll love it."

Bremner was reported to have admitted the ploy but was apparently unrepentant. He is reported to have said: "Maybe I shouldn't have done it. But I don't think it's that big a deal."

However, Bremner's motive for posting the reviews could be explained by genuine assessments of his establishment, which included complaints of high prices and shabby rooms.

TripAdvisor.com has more than 20 million visitors a month and, while people must register before posting reviews, only site moderators are there to catch self-aggrandising postings.

That sucks! I know a lot of people trust TripAdvisor. But I will say that when I check it often go directly to the bad reviews to see what they say or if they seem be3lievable. I'm sure if people are writing good reviews about their own places they're also writing negative reviews about their competition. Yuck!

That really sucks, r u in such desperate need for business that you need to do that? thats really disappointing...thanks for posting that Tammy

It's such a shame that people like that jeopardize the integrity of a website that so many people depend on. Again, just proves you can't always believe everything you read!

Not only that, but he likely lost business by doing what he did. I am guessing that most everyone who found out about this now won't stay at that hotel, just for this reason. Not smart!

You know that really sucks! Chances are the hotel was nice, but now many will never know due to his dishonesty. I myself wouldn't support this establishment. Thumbs down to him.