Photo

Bridal Shower Etiquette - Can my mom throw the shower?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 cinnagirl

cinnagirl
  • 261 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

Hi ladies, 

I need your opinion on something. Is it weird if my mom throws my a bridal shower? I know it's traditionally frowned upon for family members to host the shower as it can seem like a "gift grab". But I was talking to my mom one day about how I was a bit sad that no one offered to have a shower for me (because it makes me feel like no one wants to celebrate the fact that I'm getting married, for some reason) and she offered to do it.

My bridesmaids aren't able to do it because the one lives on the other end of the country and I won't see her until we're in the Dominican, and the other one is a student and is short on cash so I'd hate for her to think I expect it. No other friends, family or relatives else has offered. 

I don't really want gifts and don't like the idea of opening gifts in front of people, so if my mom hosts a shower I would request no gifts. I just like the idea of getting together with some ladies to celebrate the fact that I'm getting married. 

Any opinions and advise would be great, thanks!

#2 alexisinjamaica

alexisinjamaica

• Moderators
    • 562 posts
    • Wedding Date:November 13, 2014
    • Wedding Location:Secrets St. James, Montego Bay
    • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

That is not weird at all!! If you want a shower and your mom is offering to host, go for it!! Better that you have one rather than not because you're worried what people will think (and for what it's worth I don't think anyone will see it as a gift grab) and then end up regretting not having one later.

#3 Jenny2014

Jenny2014
    • 503 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:22 AM

Just remember- it's your wedding, your day, your event. If your Mom hosts a bridal shower and people frown down upon it, that is their business and their problem, not yours! You want to have a little get together with some friends to celebrate getting married- there is absolutely nothing wrong with that! Do what makes you happy, and forget about what everyone else has an opinion of. No one will ever be entirely happy, so it's on you to make sure you are happy :D

#4 agm04

agm04
      • 548 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:09 AM

I always thought the same - I'm from TX where it's not the norm for family members to throw showers.  But up here (I'm in NYC), apparently - especially for Italian weddings? - that is totally the norm.  But social norms aside, do what you want!  People can choose not to attend if they want.

#5 shan0487

shan0487
        • 1,393 posts
        • Wedding Date:November 23, 2012
        • Wedding Location:Sun Palace & Moon Palace- Cancun, MX
        • LocationSt Louis, MO

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:33 AM

Do whatever you want!! If your mom wants to throw you a shower, great!!

I had two showers- my mother in law hosted one for my husband's side of the family and friends and then my bridesmaids threw me one with my side of the family (I have a small family) and my friends.  It worked out great!! And was a lot of fun! :)

#6 Sophia2616

Sophia2616
        • 143 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:54 AM

Where I live that is the norm for mothers to throw the shower! Plus you deserve one! Enjoy it :)

#7 Krystal084

Krystal084
          • Site Supporter
          • 30 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

Especially since you have 2 bridesmaids that cannot throw a shower because of their circumstances, I think it's great that your mother wants to throw it for you!  Every bride deserves a shower, gifts or no gifts  =)

#8 RNtoBe

RNtoBe
            • 255 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

I think that is completely fine!! I'm in the same position, none of my 4 bridesmaids, 2 of which live here have mentioned a bridal shower for me. I'm a little hurt and peeved that no one has made the effort. I think it is great that your mom has offered!! 

#9 cinnagirl

cinnagirl
              • 261 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

Thanks ladies for sharing your opinions!! I feel SO much better about the whole thing, especially knowing that other brides are also having their showers thrown by their moms. :) 

#10 phsexxy

phsexxy
                • 49 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

What are your thoughts about registering for gifts for your bridal shower, especially since we are asking our guests to spend a lot of money to come to our destination wedding? what are you girls doing, registering or not registering or other options?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users