To Veil or not to Veil?

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#61 FireyNurse

FireyNurse
  • 389 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by AllieH 

The verdict is in. Veil was awesome for photos, but it was a pain for the ceremony. Fell out 3 times and our wc kept putting it back. I finally tucked it under my arm and took it off as soon as the ceremony was done.

Congrats Allie! I hope your day was everything you dreamed it would be, and more! 

What length was your veil and did it have weights on the bottom of it to hold it down? Was it super windy?  Sorry for all the questions, haha, just trying to work out what to do with mine in 22 days! 

#62 DinaQtobe

DinaQtobe
    • 450 posts
    • Wedding Date:November 21, 2013
    • Wedding Location:Now Sapphire

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:37 AM

Hi Ladies!

When I bought my dress I also purchased a veil.  It made me feel so beautiful and bridal.  It's cathedral length and very simple.  I am also wondering if putting a few weights at the bottom would be enough to keep it down a bit more.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

#63 AllieH

AllieH
    • Resort/Area Ambassadors
    • 2,014 posts
    • Wedding Date:November 5, 2012
    • Wedding Location:El Dorado Royale, Riviera Maya MX
    • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

Congrats Allie! I hope your day was everything you dreamed it would be, and more!  What length was your veil and did it have weights on the bottom of it to hold it down? Was it super windy?  Sorry for all the questions, haha, just trying to work out what to do with mine in 22 days! 

Wedding was awesome! It was a dream wedding and a fun party too. my veil was a cathedral length, no weights. We didn't pin it in bc I was only going to wear it for our first look, and then pics after the ceremony. But my friends (and then the on site wc) kept shoving it back in my hair lol I finally ticked it under my arm and it stayed just fine.

Official El Dorado Royale/El Dorado Casitas Royale Thread <---check here for all info about EDR/EDCR

Wright Travel Agency <--for all your Destination Wedding needs! Contact the experts and reduce your stress. 

El Dorado Royale Brides Thread <---come chat with other EDR brides

AllieH's EDR 11-5-2012 Planning Thread <--because it was so awesome

#64 FireyNurse

FireyNurse
    • 389 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

I don't have any pictures of my veil on me yet at the ceremony but I wore a fingertip length veil so as not to interrupt and take away from my ruffles on my dress, it was a shimmery material and also had swarovski crystals scattered throughout it, I was considering putting weights on it but I actually forgot about doing it. Shockingly there was NO wind on our wedding day, I had told my MOH to tuck it into my dress if the wind took it and blew it in my face but there was no problem at all! The rhinestones on the belt on my dress did keep attaching to the veil and would pull my head a bit but I got used to it and just would gently pull it off the belt. 

Here are a few pics of my dress veil combination:

#65 sillafeliz

sillafeliz
      • 105 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

I too am in the same boat...not sure if a veil looks right on me! But maybe that's because I haven't tried on the right one....

I just wanted to share a little something from all my Say-Yes-to-the-Dress watching....from our lovely Randy... he once said if you don't wear a veil, then you're just a pretty girl in a white dress. ;) That's stuck with me for some reason...so I might just do a VERY simple one. I'm still just worried that it will blow all over the place...so having a longer one is a good suggestion!

While we're talking about it....can anyone tell me what the purpose of a veil, or the history behind it??

Good luck with everyone's decisions!!

#66 Laura2013

Laura2013
        • 177 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by sillafeliz 

I too am in the same boat...not sure if a veil looks right on me! But maybe that's because I haven't tried on the right one....

I just wanted to share a little something from all my Say-Yes-to-the-Dress watching....from our lovely Randy... he once said if you don't wear a veil, then you're just a pretty girl in a white dress. ;) That's stuck with me for some reason...so I might just do a VERY simple one. I'm still just worried that it will blow all over the place...so having a longer one is a good suggestion!

While we're talking about it....can anyone tell me what the purpose of a veil, or the history behind it??

Good luck with everyone's decisions!!

Haha, I never forgot that Randy quote either! For me though, I feel like he is right. The veil just seems to tie everything together and screams BRIDE! ...and plus, this is hopefully the only time in our lives that we could wear a veil lol

#67 Laura2013

Laura2013
          • 177 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Playalovesme 

A veil really can make a good prop for some lovely wedding photos...

Totally agree! The main reason I chose a cathedral lenght veil is to get amazing shots like these! Thanks for sharing!

#68 EVKnowsitall

EVKnowsitall
            • 593 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

I have a cathedral veil and it really brought together the look of my dress. I think veils make for gorgeous photos- as evidenced above but I just felt incomplete without one. It really depends on the bride's style, there is no right or wrong answer. It's what makes you feel beautiful. I like my veil flowing all around me, I feel ethereal haha. And I am also marrying in a church and having my veil follow me makes for great dramatic pictures and has that traditional church feel for me.

Happily married to the love of my life- since July 5, 2013

#69 Jenny2014

Jenny2014
              • 503 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:50 AM

I agree- it is completely up to the bride on whether to wear a veil or not. I will be- just a fingertip length one, with maybe some satin or jewels at the bottom. I don't want anything overly dramatic or too long, but I got a bit choked up in the brief couple of seconds when I wore when when trying on dresses. Even though I hated the gown I was in, it was wearing the veil that really was the kick to the stomach that this is real for me.

#70 LKocelko

LKocelko
                • 350 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:31 AM

I was against getting a veil, didn't think it was me. But then I decided, "okay, I'll get one just for the pictures. maybe a fingertip." And then I just had my first fitting, and what happens? I end up with a cathedral length one that I think I'll wear the ceremony too. So you never know! I'm hoping that because ti's so long it won't be blowing/whiping around as much as a shorter one or fingertip might be. Do people suggest getting veil weights? I figure if it's that annoying I'll just take it out and my MOH can hold it haha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users