Photo

Married before your destination wedding?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 KaytlinJean

KaytlinJean
  • 178 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:57 PM

Have any of you gotten married at the courthouse before your destination weddings? And did you tell everyone you were married or not?

As of today I am not healthy enough to have our destination wedding this year but I am trying to decide whether we should get married here before our destination wedding or not.

#2 vlynnw

vlynnw
    • 6,003 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:11 PM

A lot of brides get legally married before their DW, I plan on doing this myself to avoid all the extra paper work.  There are quite a few threads on this subject already so make sure you do a search before starting a new one.

Veronica & Adam - May 6, 2011 - Dreams Tulum

#3 coconoir1908

coconoir1908
      • 2,136 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:25 PM

My FI and I were talking about this issue but for us here in PA it doesn't save us any money.  So instead of going to the court house and keeping a secret from our parents we are doing everything in Mexico.  Has anyone had problems?

#4 erinbrooke124

erinbrooke124
        • 282 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:47 PM

We will be getting married at our couthouse the day before we leave for Mexico.  Our immediate family will know, but we aren't advertising it by any means.  We don't want people to think they can skip Mexico and show up at the courthouse :)  I hope it works out okay!  I'm interested in hearing what other brides who have done it say too.

June 14, 2011 <3
          Photographer:Sascha Gluck
          Hair/Makeup: Fernando Fuentes
          Dress: Blue by Enzoani - Casablanca :: Bridesmaids: Alfred Angelo Pure 7108/7109
          Booked:Bride+Groom+35 Guests

#5 mindylcarter

mindylcarter
          • 80 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:20 PM

we are doing the same thing. only my close friends know about it.  we are having a friend marry us in our living room the night before we leave. the date on the marriage license will be the date we are getting married in cancun. 

#6 smtc0245

smtc0245
            • 106 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:24 PM

My FI and I were married in June in our backyard and our DW isn't until February the only people who know are the two people who signed for us and my mom.  It was too much hassel to get everything translated into Spanish.  We will be married almost 9 months before our actual DW but I just considered it the signing of the papers.

Bride, Groom + 23 Guests Booked

#7 ambularose

ambularose
              • 167 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:39 PM

We do plan on getting married legally at the courthouse this December. Our wedding is not until May, but we are doing it for tax purposes We haven't decided if we will tell anyone about it or not. We want them to want to come to our wedding!!

#8 coconoir1908

coconoir1908
                • 2,136 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:18 AM

Hi Ladies,

I spoke with a Moon Palace coordinator the other day who advised that "they no longer require for the documents to be transfered from English to Spanish.  However; the marriage license is issued in Spanish.  If you want to have that translated the cost is $45.00"

I would love to have everything done in Mexico.  However; I learned that we can not file our marraige in the commenwealth of PA if you get married in another state or country ;-(  So we decided to get married a few days before we leave. 

#9 DWBride615

DWBride615
                  • 852 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:24 AM

We're getting legally married at my hometown in California before we leave for Rome. There's too much paperwork and time involved(residency). Plus, having to get everything translated...we have so many other things to worry about. So, we decided get married in the states and have the destination wedding. We're not really doing much of anything during the legal marriage, so the wedding feels more real.

We're not telling our guests, but we won't deny it if they ask. None of them considered destination weddings before, so I don't think they'll even think to ask really.

*~*Chelsea & Eric*~* {{New wedding Date...Same Growing Love}} October 13, 2012 (Rome, Italy)

#10 hamme

hamme
                    • 194 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:36 PM

My friend from high school just recently got married but only told her family so that he could get financial aid in school. They still tell people they are engaged and they will consider their big wedding as the official wedding date.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users