Photo

Anyone NOT Taking FI Name?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 Leez309

Leez309
  • 186 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:40 PM

I'm taking his last name, although I might make my maiden name my middle name. I like the idea of when we have kids the whole family having the same last name. (I also don't find it a problem, or weird for people to keep their own last name.)

#42 vlynnw

vlynnw
    • 6,003 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:34 AM

I don't know how I missed this thread before. I had a panic attack after we got engaged over changing my name. I realized how attached I am. I mean it's me it's who I am and I feel like changing it is taking away part of my identity!

We have a piece of mail for our home insurance that for some reason comes with his name and then mine hyphenated and I decided I could handle that a little more.
      Veronica & Adam - May 6, 2011 - Dreams Tulum

#43 PrincssScorpion7

PrincssScorpion7
      • 81 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:12 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by sunstarsmoon
        Thats what I am doing.

The first time I got married I changed my name. Then about 5 years ago I went back to my maiden name. I am not changing it again. I am tired of changing passport, drivers license etc! lol

lol! This will be my first marriage and still no name change. He has no problem with it, but I am sure one of his sister's will.

#44 PetitRouge

PetitRouge
        • 174 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:27 PM

I am keeping my last name but in Quebec we do not have a choice:)
          But if i did have a choice i think that i would still keep my own name :)

#45 Jess3414

Jess3414
          • 218 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:32 AM

I'm sooo glad to know that hyphenating seems to be the trend! I am hyphenating also.

#46 sunstarsmoon

sunstarsmoon
            • 2,233 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:06 AM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by PetitRouge
              I am keeping my last name but in Quebec we do not have a choice:)
              But if i did have a choice i think that i would still keep my own name :)
              Wow I did not realize that about Quebec. Learn something new everyday! :)
              July 8, 2011, Couples Sans Souci Ocho Rios, Jamaica

#47 bikegirl

bikegirl
              • Banned
              • 319 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:43 PM

I think I'm going to take his name. My mom doesn't want me to as she didn't and in mainland China (where I'm from), it's not common to. However, like Leez309, I like the idea of the whole family having the same last name.

I wanted to hyphenate but to be honest, I'm too lazy for that! It would be so long. I think I will instead make my maiden name my middle name. That I'll still have it there, but I can condense into just one initial. I'm not as familiar with western traditions but that's the way it was originally done, right?

#48 tiffandmarv

tiffandmarv
                • 361 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:00 PM

I plan to take my FI's name. I have three brothers so my family name should live on (none of them have kids yet though). I too like the idea of an entire family sharing the same last name. But I don't like that it's assumed a woman will just change her last name once she marries! Not fair.
                  http://tickers.Ticke....95d6/event.png

Bride & Groom + 56 Booked for Jamaica!!!

#49 gettinghitched2010

gettinghitched2010
                  • 158 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:45 PM

I do not want to but FI insists I do. I will probably hyphenate.

#50 PrincssScorpion7

PrincssScorpion7
                    • 81 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:02 PM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by gettinghitched2010
                      I do not want to but FI insists I do. I will probably hyphenate.

Do not feel bad because I am going to have to deal SI that is not going to like the fact that I am not changing my name. She will have plenty to say to him, but she will not say anything to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users