Starfish @ Customs...

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 nmurch

• 396 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:40 PM

big problemos here...
    i ordered starfish from a seller in the US & that was about a month and a half ago and i thought it was taking a long time... well today, i got a letter from US Wild Life saying they are endangered species and they would be taken from me or if i want to fight it i have to go to court and all these other things! it's like 10 pages long and i have to send signed forms back nortarized by a notary and it has to be back to them within a couple of day!

* heart dropped * sad day.

i'm wondering if anyone has had problems bringing their starfish to mexico or even getting shipped to you as now i'm out money & i'm sure the GOV has some sort of watch out on me now. LOL.
    jan 11 cant come soon enough...

#2 ktnicole

• 100 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:29 PM

ouch!! Thats crazy! Haven't had anything happen like that, but I hope it all works out for you.

#3 aimee!

• 696 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:35 PM

oh no!!! i brought in about 50 starfish (from the US) to mexico, and didn't have any problems. i also brought a few home & didn't have any problems then either.

i hope you can figure something out! do you have any ideas besides using real starfish? i'm going to think about this one for a while.
        Wedding & TTD Slideshow (by Sascha Gluck)

#4 sunstarsmoon

• 2,233 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:02 AM

Thats insane! I was going to buy some a while back but had read how this bride had to pay custom charges etc etc and it ended up costing her like 100.00. So I changed my mind. I just ordered charms instead. Do you need alot of them? You might want to check out Michaels or another craft store. Or do you have someone you know that lives in the US where you could have some shipped to!
          July 8, 2011, Couples Sans Souci Ocho Rios, Jamaica

#5 mrs.timpone

• 312 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:20 AM

o no!!! thats crazy, im nervous now because like 90% of my DIY ideas for my wedding include starfish! Im sorry to hear this, I hope everything works out for you!

#6 shae

• 308 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:37 AM

be cautious when bringing in shells or anything made of shells (like capiz). i think it falls in the same category as starfish!

#7 clfaidl2

• 333 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:01 AM

i have a good amt of starfish (they are not real starfish, but look very real) all either 5-6 inches or 6-7 inches ...i think i have 48 starfish, but i need them for my at home reception which is in june. After june (julyish) i would be happy to sell them to you, if ppl are interested in the starfish replicas for weddings after this date.

i hope everything works out for everyone using real starfish! good luck

#8 AishaB

• 2,350 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:33 AM

That really sucks I hope that everything works out with you. Good luck!
                  BDW the best place for my TYPE A personality!

#9 ChicagoPT

• 307 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:43 AM

I remember a thread (possibly a planning thread) that someone had them taking at customs ( I think in cancun). You should search and see if you can find it. It sounds like its hit or miss with getting through customs. thats crazy though that the US sent that to you! How did they know you bought them?

#10 jeninesmom

• 74 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:11 PM

I tried calling around today. It's not easy finding a number. I got transfered several times. Finally I THINK I spoke to the plant animal customs but I am NOT sure. She kept saying I think you will be fine. I finally said THINK isnt good enough. I dont want to pay a fine. She transferred me again to food and drug, but no one would answer. I am going to take my receipt with me where I paid for them in the US in case they think I got them in Mexico (playa del Carmen) I would love to have any info that anyone has. I have 16 starfish with floral wire hot glued to their backs.
                      My daughter Jenine's wedding, Secrets Capri April 12th 2010 My son Joel's wedding, August 21 2010!

Recent blog entries on this topic

By forevertogether in forevertogether's Blog, on 31 March 2014 - 09:42 AM

Does anyone know about taking starfish decor through customs???? i want to purchase these and bring them with me to my wedding in mexico and am worried about customs in Canun...

Any help would be great!!!

Source: Starfish @ Customs...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users