Engagment Party

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sylvie143

Sylvie143
  • 181 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:11 PM

Hi Ladies,

I was wondering how many of you have had an engagement party?!? Is it tradition to do so?

My lovely FI proposed on Christmas Eve and we are looking at doing a fabulous outdoor engagement party in May since that's when the rain stops and it's warm enough to do, we are planning our DW wedding in October 2011 but since my FI's family is HUMUNGOUS, we'll invite everyone to the egagement party and only the close members to the wedding.

thoughts?

Thank you!

#2 kokukitty

kokukitty
    • 49 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:38 PM

Our matron of honor and best man (who happen to be married) gave us a wonderful engagement party last year. We had a blast!

#3 autjo

autjo
      • 2,182 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:50 PM

I think that's a great idea! The "almost married" or "at home receptions" are such a great way to be budget conscious, but still share your wedding with all of your distant relatives.

#4 amygirl1169

amygirl1169
        • 653 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:47 PM

We got engaged last Valentine's day and my bridal party threw me an engagement party in May. It was fairly intimate, about 30 people, but it was fun!

#5 Stina4242

Stina4242
          • 76 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:52 PM

It is supposidly poor etiquette to do this but I did it. I couldn't afford to pay for everyone to come to our wedding, but I could afford to have them over my moms house for some food and cocktails. We had a great time!

#6 march132010

march132010
            • 1,057 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:02 PM

We had an engagment party thrown by my FIL's at my FI home town, the only ones in my fam that came was mom dad and sis-- but it was nice to get to meet ALL of his extended family

#7 AlexsBride

AlexsBride
              • 401 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:17 PM

We haven't had an engagement party and I am doubting we will have one. There are so many parties to come with a DW that I just don't expect anyone will throw us one and I don't think it's right to throw one for ourselves! Would love it though! lol.
                Mom to two beautiful girls, Izzy and Delilah and about to marry their Daddy! :)

#8 IrishgirlinNY

IrishgirlinNY
                • 938 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:24 PM

We actually had an engagement party booked for November 1 for 120 people and we got engaged July 30. We knew a major part of the people we were inviting to the wedding would not be coming, so we kind of considered it as an AHR. I ended up breaking my shoulder Aug 16 needing surgery on Aug 20 and my mother passed away Aug 30. With all this we cancelled the party. Couldn't celebrate without my mom. Definitely think it is a great idea, though.

#9 carolina24

carolina24
                  • 1,573 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:52 PM

i think its a great idea..i wish we would have done an engagement party!!

#10 mekanabr

mekanabr
                    • 537 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:17 PM

I think an engagement party is a great idea! We did one but only invited our friends that happened to be in our home town over Thanksgiving since its rare everyone is in the same place at the same time. But it was sooo fun since it had been months since we had all been together and its all about you and your fiance...yay!

However, I've been told you have to be careful though about inviting ppl to an engagement party that aren't going to be invited to the wedding (unless this is your substitute for an at home reception). You might have to make it understood that only your closest family and friends will be invited to the actual wedding or you could get some hurt feelings to ppl down the road who celebrated with you in the beginning.

Has anyone else heard this before? Not that I want to discourage anyone from having a party, I think we should get to celebrate our engagement every weekend!! But just don't want you to unexpectedly have to deal with an unhappy friend or family member once the invites are sent out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users