Jump to content

Photo

To travel agent or not to travel agent?


  • Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#61 IslandBride201x

IslandBride201x
  • Jr. Member
  • 237 posts

    Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:42 AM

    I am only using a TA to book the resort stay and airfare for my guests.  I am then coordinating the wedding with the WC at the resort.  I didn't want to have to deal with all of the travel plans of our guests, but I still wanted to plan the details of my wedding.  I read how hard it can be to coordinate with the WC at the resort sometimes, so I didn't want to add another person to the process to get my questions answered about the wedding.  Luckily I have been very lucky and the WC has gotten right back to me. 


    Kim & Eric ~ July 22, 2012
    Married to my best friend, the one I laugh with, live for, dream with, love
    Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, Montego Bay, Jamaica


    #62 mysecreteden

    mysecreteden
    • Newbie
    • 79 posts

      Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:32 AM

      I didn't use a TA to be exact, all I did was request a group rate from Westjet, and they offered me a fantastic rate, so we decided to help all our guest book. For our payment, have been assigned a particular agent, so now we are using her as our TA. She is great and answered all our question super fast.

       

      If anyone is interested, PM me and I will let you know who our group travel agent is.



      #63 emilyjane

      emilyjane
      • Newbie
      • 40 posts

        Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:47 AM

        In my experience so far with booking our wedding, the travel agent has been alright, but I think we could have had the guests book online just as easily and with less hassle going back and forth with the TA to ensure that spellings, dates, etc are correct.  I had already found the vacation package that we wanted online through Air Canada Vacations, and the group rate that the TA was able to get was only about $40 cheaper.  For all of the mistakes that our guests have had to have the TA fix on their itineraries, I think they would have been willing to pay the extra $40 to go online, fill out the form themselves and be done with it!

         

        The one redeeming thing about our TA is that her first language is Spanish, which will be good when it comes to talking back and forth with the WC at our resort, who does not speak English very well, and has not been very good at getting back to me about my questions.



        #64 torilynnsmith

        torilynnsmith
        • Sr. Member
        • 1,748 posts

          Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:57 AM


          If the tour operator will do the same price I would deal directly with them too, the nice thing about the TA is some bonuses you get ie. Executive class upgrade after 20 people book (ACV - emilyjane check it out if you haven't already heard of it... we have a thread about it too) and Free wedding with 15 rooms book, free trip for every 16 people who book... that kind of thing

          Originally Posted by emilyjane 

          In my experience so far with booking our wedding, the travel agent has been alright, but I think we could have had the guests book online just as easily and with less hassle going back and forth with the TA to ensure that spellings, dates, etc are correct.  I had already found the vacation package that we wanted online through Air Canada Vacations, and the group rate that the TA was able to get was only about $40 cheaper.  For all of the mistakes that our guests have had to have the TA fix on their itineraries, I think they would have been willing to pay the extra $40 to go online, fill out the form themselves and be done with it!

           

          The one redeeming thing about our TA is that her first language is Spanish, which will be good when it comes to talking back and forth with the WC at our resort, who does not speak English very well, and has not been very good at getting back to me about my questions.



           



          #65 DRPrincesa

          DRPrincesa
          • Jr. Member
          • 221 posts

            Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:58 AM

            We are def using a travel agent.   I only invited 50 ppl (plus their dates or what have you) but I think it is a great central place for ppl to make payments and travel arrangements.  My TA has given my guests a payment plan, spacing it out and giving them ample time to make payments. This is also helping with my plans for reception, OOT bags, etc!  Happy planning ladiesss!



            #66 Praye

            Praye
            • Site Supporter
            • 117 posts

              Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:54 PM

              Do Not use destinationweddings.com.  I'm having a headache with them, you can read all the post on destinationwedings.com planners thread and very close to just pulling and switching to another TA company, possibly BDW. 


              Paradisus Palma Real, Punta Cana

              9.1.2012


              #67 DRPrincesa

              DRPrincesa
              • Jr. Member
              • 221 posts

                Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:46 AM

                That's crazy! I only heard 1 good review about them.  Most reviews online are not good! I am so sorry to hear that you are having trouble.  If it is not too late definitely pull out and change!
                 

                Originally Posted by Praye 

                Do Not use destinationweddings.com.  I'm having a headache with them, you can read all the post on destinationwedings.com planners thread and very close to just pulling and switching to another TA company, possibly BDW. 



                 



                #68 Keine Dennis

                Keine Dennis
                • Newbie
                • 43 posts

                  Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:06 PM

                  Reasons to use a travel agent:

                  They have great relationships with the suppliers.

                  Group rates, early booking bonuses and concessions, they have knowledge of all of this.

                  One person to deal with.

                  Negotiate your contracts with the hotel, tour operator and/or wedding coordinator.

                  Can assist with date/schedule changes/booking your wedding, civil or symbolic.

                  Deal with the wedding coordinator on your behalf and have things in place for when you arrive so NOTHING is last  minute.

                  Advice and experience.

                  Help your guests with their needs (upgrades/use of points/different dates, durations)

                  Help you find the best rate for your group.

                  Available when you are.

                  Alleviate all the stress, the work is done for you and your guests have someone to contact.

                  Answer everyones questions, there are usually sooo many :)

                  If mother nature shows up with a hurricane and flights get cancelled, they will take care of you and your group.

                  Travel Insurance.

                   

                  Reasons not to use a Travel Agent:

                  Small group, less than 10 dont always qualify for a group rate or concession

                  You are a travel agent :)

                  No flights or travel arrangements needed

                  You already have a relationship with the property because your a repeat client and they gave you an excellent deal.

                  Last minute wedding and you got a great deal on-line and are happy to wait until you get there to finalize all your wedding details.

                  You are in control, but then you are responsible.

                   

                   

                   


                  I love destination weddings!


                  #69 torilynnsmith

                  torilynnsmith
                  • Sr. Member
                  • 1,748 posts

                    Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:28 PM

                    I think this is a great list and agree that when planning a DW a travel agent can be your best friend but they can also be a HUGE stress if you do not pick the right one!!!!  Use a TA, find a GREAT one!!!!!!
                     

                    Originally Posted by Petal Keine 

                    Reasons to use a travel agent:

                    They have great relationships with the suppliers.

                    Group rates, early booking bonuses and concessions, they have knowledge of all of this.

                    One person to deal with.

                    Negotiate your contracts with the hotel, tour operator and/or wedding coordinator.

                    Can assist with date/schedule changes/booking your wedding, civil or symbolic.

                    Deal with the wedding coordinator on your behalf and have things in place for when you arrive so NOTHING is last  minute.

                    Advice and experience.

                    Help your guests with their needs (upgrades/use of points/different dates, durations)

                    Help you find the best rate for your group.

                    Available when you are.

                    Alleviate all the stress, the work is done for you and your guests have someone to contact.

                    Answer everyones questions, there are usually sooo many :)

                    If mother nature shows up with a hurricane and flights get cancelled, they will take care of you and your group.

                    Travel Insurance.

                     

                    Reasons not to use a Travel Agent:

                    Small group, less than 10 dont always qualify for a group rate or concession

                    You are a travel agent :)

                    No flights or travel arrangements needed

                    You already have a relationship with the property because your a repeat client and they gave you an excellent deal.

                    Last minute wedding and you got a great deal on-line and are happy to wait until you get there to finalize all your wedding details.

                    You are in control, but then you are responsible.

                     

                     

                     



                     



                    #70 Peach

                    Peach
                    • Sr. Member
                    • 1,293 posts

                      Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:02 PM

                      Awesome list! Thanks for posting!
                       

                      Originally Posted by Petal Keine 

                      Reasons to use a travel agent:

                      They have great relationships with the suppliers.

                      Group rates, early booking bonuses and concessions, they have knowledge of all of this.

                      One person to deal with.

                      Negotiate your contracts with the hotel, tour operator and/or wedding coordinator.

                      Can assist with date/schedule changes/booking your wedding, civil or symbolic.

                      Deal with the wedding coordinator on your behalf and have things in place for when you arrive so NOTHING is last  minute.

                      Advice and experience.

                      Help your guests with their needs (upgrades/use of points/different dates, durations)

                      Help you find the best rate for your group.

                      Available when you are.

                      Alleviate all the stress, the work is done for you and your guests have someone to contact.

                      Answer everyones questions, there are usually sooo many :)

                      If mother nature shows up with a hurricane and flights get cancelled, they will take care of you and your group.

                      Travel Insurance.

                       

                      Reasons not to use a Travel Agent:

                      Small group, less than 10 dont always qualify for a group rate or concession

                      You are a travel agent :)

                      No flights or travel arrangements needed

                      You already have a relationship with the property because your a repeat client and they gave you an excellent deal.

                      Last minute wedding and you got a great deal on-line and are happy to wait until you get there to finalize all your wedding details.

                      You are in control, but then you are responsible.

                       

                       

                       



                       






                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users