New Barcelo Maya Photographer policy (NO OUTSIDE PHOTOGS)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Adcock

Matt Adcock
  • Vendor
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:46 AM

Here we go again... In the past, Barcelo had a deal with Photo Caribbean studio and 100% forbid outside photographers / videographers and due to popular demand, changed the policy and added a $300 fee to allow us on the property. We have known this policy to exist for little than 1 year or so.

While the fee was high (not highest though, Karisma has 1st place for that $500) it at least provided brides with an option.

We recommend BDWF try and voice your opinion, as a collective, you have made a difference in the past and you may possibly be able to persuade them to keep the option to hire the photographer / videographer of your dreams as an option...

We received this email yesterday:

Estimados fotografos,
    Me informan una nueva politica para el Hotel Barcelo Maya......
    Les envio la firma que se esta enviando a las novias que tienen programada su boda para el a±o 2009, 2010, 2011. Si ustedes tienen alguna boda confirmada, por favor hangamelo saber antes del martes 7 de julio.

Barcel³ Maya Beach Resort has an exclusive contract with a photographer and does not allow external photographers in hotel premises under any circumstances. For information and prices please contact:

Photography & Video Service:

011 +52 (984) 875-1500 ext. 1540

IMPORTANT: if you have already booked photography services please let us know by Tuesday July 7th. Please be advised that there is a fee of $300USD to be paid by your Photographer to Photo Caribbean directly.

If we don't hear from you by Tuesday July 7th, we will assume you have not contracted photography services and that you will be using Photo Caribbean.

Thank you,

Gabriela Barbabosa
    Coordinadora de Bodas / Wedding Coordinator
    Tel / Phone: + 52 (984) 875.15.00 ext. 6767
    Fax: + 52 (984) 875.15.24
    e-mail: weddings1@barcelomaya.com
    web site: Barcelo Hotels & Resorts - Hotel – Hoteles

To close, I would like to say that it has been a Pleasure working with Gabriela in the past 12 or so months. She is very delightful and SOOOOO nice and has always been exceptionally hospitable. This policy is a red tape issue that she likely has 0% control over, but I'm sure she can voice her opinion to the people who may be able to make a change. I'm almost sure she wants there to be an option for brides in this regard.

I'll cross my fingers that this policy can change!

#2 TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
    • 11,659 posts
    • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:52 AM

i do think it is fair for resorts to have a preferred vendor list or charge some sort of fee because not all wedding vendors are the same caliber, i think it is really disappointing when brides are not given a choice on which vendors they can use.

i know for me, it would have swayed my decision on which resort i would have chosen to have my destination wedding at.

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.
    Awards and recognition: 
    Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
    Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
    Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
    sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
    Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#3 spatzle

• 36 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:30 PM

This is not fair.
      Barcelo was one of my best options. Photos are very important for us so we will have to reconsider our options. Good to know before booking.
      Thank you!

#4 harv0136

• 137 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:18 PM

This is extremely disappointing! I originally booked Barcelo only because their policy had changed to allow outside photographers. Then, they told me I had to pay $300. Now, no outside photographers at all??! I hope they realize they will loose a lot of wedding business from this. I just e-mailed them since I already have my photographer booked. I appreciate the heads up!

#5 SunBride

• 1,499 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:34 PM

When I was researching resorts, the first thing I was looking at was whether they allowed outside photographers, because I knew I didn't want to use a resort photographer. I hope Barcelo looses a lot of business over this policy.

Usually you can get around it by bringing a photographer with you (although in some cases the resort will now allow a said "guest" to use professional photography equipment) but it means you can't use any of the great local photographers.

#6 sg1307

• 49 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 12:11 AM

I got that exact email from Xhail less than two weeks before my wedding...so not fair!
            Does it count if my photographer is a guest at the resort??

#7 Sita&Nate

• 349 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 12:28 AM

I totally agree.... i would not marry a resort unless I could choose who will photograph my wedding..

#8 Danielle77

• 200 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:26 PM

I was considering the Barcelo for my wedding but the no outside photog thing sucks. I have already tentatively booked my photog so I guess the Barcelo is out for me and my 40 guests now

#9 PaulSchrank

• Vendor
                • 237 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:04 AM

Here's what I know about current policies here:

Moon Palace and all Palace Resorts - No outside vendors unless guests
                  RIU Palace Resorts - No outside vendors unless guests
                  Dreams Cancun - Only approved vendors from their list
                  Karisma Resorts (El Dorado ROYALE, Azul Beach and Sensatori) - $500 outside vendor fee - RFC # (tax ID) required from vendor
                  Iberostar Resorts - $300 outside vendor fee
                  Royal Resorts - $100 outside vendor fee

Most resorts require only a day pass for each vendor/assistant - These resorts include

Dreams Tulum, Princess, Grand Bahia Principe and Grand Palladium.

This is just based on our recent experience so maybe we can compile a list that covers them all with everyone's input. Only the All Inclusives have strict policies. You won't have any issues with smaller hotels and privately planned events.

#10 super19

• 1,123 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:15 AM

That's awful. I will not be choosing a resort with a high outside vendor fee or no outside vendor policy. We should have the right to bring in the vendor's that we prefer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users