Photo

Just out of curiosity?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#11 Jenamie

Jenamie
  • 392 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 04:00 AM

mine no, but I kinda asked him and he had never met my parents until after we where engaged (officially with him on one knee hehe )

he wanted to, and if we lived near my parents or each other for that case maybe, but it just did not work out that way for us

#12 Helen_S81

Helen_S81
    • 985 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:36 AM

Our son-in-law asked my husband for permission. Katie had told him that it was important to her that when he was ready to propose he had to talk to her Dad first. I hear he was very nervous and I had no idea until after they'd gone home and my husband told me. I then had to keep my mouth shut for what seemed like forever! Was only about a week but it seemed like a long time.

#13 josee

josee
      • 217 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:40 AM

Same as Shapphire 723, my FI didn't ask and I'm kind of disappointed that he didn't.

#14 stefnicole

stefnicole
        • 544 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 10:15 AM

MY DH asked my dad. My dad lives out of state, and DH had never met him yet. So, my dad made a special trip to come up and see us over a weekend. I knew DH had the ring, and I'm glad he waited to meet and ask my dad before asking me!

#15 Sloan

Sloan
          • 1,279 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 10:20 AM

Mine didnt ask. My Dad died when I was 18. He asked me if he should be asking my Mom, but I said no. Didnt see the point. Even if my Dad was alive, I wouldnt see the point.

#16 *Heather*

*Heather*

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 9,532 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 10:57 AM

My FI had a discussion with my dad - not sure if it was for "permission" or for a blessing or whatever...but I think it was more out of tradition than anything. It's not like he was worried that my dad was going to say no or anything

#17 *HOLLY*

*HOLLY*
              • Banned
              • 3,639 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:06 AM

My fiance asked both my mom and dad plus showed the ring to everyone in our lives that are close. Pretty much I was the last one to see the ring.

#18 soon2bePowers

soon2bePowers
                • 382 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:48 AM

My DH asked both sets of parents (mine are divorced) prior to asking me. I really liked that he did. I know that my parents really like it also. They would not have been upset had he not asked but it allowed him to have some great conversation with the parents. Plus it is another story to add to the books!

#19 NaM

NaM
                  • 2,256 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:55 AM

My FI asked both of my parents. He went to them the night before he proposed and showed them the ring and promised to take care of me. Then they all had champagne and I apparently missed a fun little party. I didn't think it would matter to me but now looking back, I'm really glad he did...it meant a lot to my parents.

#20 frank13

frank13
                    • 51 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 12:14 PM

My FI did not ask my father permission and I was happy that he didn't. My dad has played such a minimal role in my life that I felt it would be disrespectful to me to ask him. I didn't even have to tell him that though, my FI assumed the same. He did have my best friend help with ring sizes and design so I was surprised and on Easter the first time our mom's met he casually told my mom that when we went to Jamaica the following month he planned on asking, but that was it. No traditional talk, but he and I are so far from traditional anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users