Photo

Are you paying for your bridesmaids dresses?

• Please log in to reply
412 replies to this topic

#341 Vancouver Bride

Vancouver Bride
  • Site Supporter
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:28 AM

Hi

I have 4 BM and decided from the start I wanted to pay for their dresses because they are already paying ~$1,800 each for flight and resort at the wedding. I know that it isn't usually expected, but I thought that it would be a nice gesture since all my BM are University students or new parents. I know that each girl would have paid for it herself, but I didn't want to add stress to them already saving for the wedding.

Paying for the BM dresses also made it more effecient for me when I was home (I live in another country than 3 of my BM). I went to David's Bridal and picked out my wedding dress and 4 BM dresses all in less than 2 hours!!! I paid and checked out all at once, knowing that was done :) I chose the same colour, but let each pick the style and they were $135-150 each. 

In the end, paying for  4 BM dresses and  4 groomsmen clothes was about $1,600 of our budget, but I'm happy we did it and adjusted our budget elsewhere (i.e. small cake and no dj). 

I think it depends on each BM's financial situation, but if you buy the dress for one, its good to buy it for them all. 

Ironically, I am in 2 other weddings this year and I am buying a BM dress for both :)

#342 Mufin1785

Mufin1785
    • 438 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

Yes we are,  we have 4 BMs we are buying for the Target.com bridesmaids collection they are only $69.00 plus we are buying there shoes for shoe dazzle.com buy one get one free so shoe came to $19.97 a piece!   I am also going to get them jewelry but I have not decided on that yet.  I am asking that my BMs pay for their hair & make-up which is going to cost $115

#343 McLecker

McLecker
      • 194 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:39 AM

LolaTX - I am in exactly the same position. The girls' dresses (3 bms) were $200 each (BCBG down from $450 to $200 taxes in). I feel like I should help with that. Put $100 towards it. Is that their BM gift then? And are you paying for their hair and make up too?

#344 McLecker

McLecker
        • 194 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by bacha24 

I decided not to pay for my bridesmaids dresses.  But I was hoping that they would find dresses that would be nice enough to wear again.  I chose black and they all ended up founding cute dresses at BCBG on sale.  We tried going to bridal stores but I couldn't picture them wearing typical bridesmaids dresses.  I'm glad it all worked out. 

I think you and I are in similar boats. Did you pay for their hair and makeup and gifts too?

#345 DestinationGirl

DestinationGirl
          • 166 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:55 AM

I think its a great idea to look elsewhere for bridesmaid dresses. I think the bridal stores bring up the prices alot, and alot of dresses end up being too expensive for what they are.

I like the idea of going to BCBG or some store like that and finding something really nice and something they can wear again!

#346 stella331

stella331
            • 247 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

I paid for my bridesmaid dresses, shoes, and jewelry. I also bought them a "gift" which was a monogram necklace with their initials which was around $75 each. Dress was around $175, shoes $90, and jewelry $60. I felt I should since they had to pay for travel and were paying for my bridal shower. Everything came to about $400 a girl. Yikes I hadn't added it up until now lol. So $1,600 total spent on them.
              46 booked and counting!

#347 MsKenyaF

MsKenyaF
              • 159 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:03 AM

I would love to be able to pay for my BM's dresses but now sure if I will be able to afford it..working on it. But I'm definitely paying for their hair, makeup and gifts.

#348 Ty Roane

Ty Roane
                • 160 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

I have 5 (one Maid of Honor, one Matron of Honor & 3 BM).  They will all be paying for their dress and shoes.  I will do jewelry and accessories.  They are all ok with that part.  I would not be able to afford everyone's attire. Same for the groomsmen.

#349 pmkaraan

pmkaraan
                  • 171 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

I am paying for my BM dresses. Luckily I found one that I really was loved for $40!

#350 JSLM

JSLM
                    • 170 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

I'm glad to see that a lot of people have similar feelings. I have three BM. The dresses cost $185each so I paid $110 for each. I still haven't decided if I am going to pay for their hair and make up yet. I'm planning on getting them a piece of jewelry as a keepsake. Plus putting a few extras in their OOT bag. It definitely adds up quickly!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users