Are you paying for your bridesmaids dresses?

• Please log in to reply
412 replies to this topic

#261 J-me

• 398 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:01 PM

If I was doing a wedding at home, I probably wouldn't be paying for the dresses (I've paid for my BM dresses in every wedding I've been in - which is a lot haha). But as we're asking them to travel, we are paying for their dresses and 3 nights of their stay. However long they want to extend their vaca beyond 3 nights is on them and they're paying for their flights, so I would think the flight alone is more than what most would spend on the dress in a 'normal' wedding. Granted, hopefully they'll get a fun vacation out of it as well but...we wanted a big portion of our budget to splurge on taking care of our wedding party; as a way of saying 'thank you' for loving & supporting us over the years.

But every DW is different, so I don't think there's a right or wrong answer.

#262 torilynnsmith

• 1,748 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:03 PM

Great thread, we have been going back and fourth about this and still have not made a decision.  I have been looking at dresses under $100... some under $50 even because I want to keep costs as low as possible.  Whether they buy them or we buy them hopefully we can make it affordable!  Not sure about the GMs outfits but probably a similar philosophy!

#263 LandG

• 152 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:27 AM

I am paying, but I am only having one bridesmaid.

#264 futuremrstgun

• 995 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:32 AM

if i had bridesmaids probably not..but since my daughters are standing up for us..i'll be paying for theirs...  R~

#265 Starfish0512

• 283 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:38 AM

I will be paying for my sister's dress - MOH - she has a family of four coming to the island and I'd like to be able to help her out in little ways that I can! We will most likely end up paying for my FI's brother's suit as well, as a gift. 

#266 torilynnsmith

• 1,748 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:58 AM

If you pay for the dress will you still give a gift?!

#267 Starfish0512

• 283 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:56 PM

We are helping her more than just her dress to get her family down to the island...  So in my particular case, probably not, then again, maybe a piece of jewelry? 

Originally Posted by torilynnsmith 

If you pay for the dress will you still give a gift?!

#268 KerryL613

• 113 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:33 AM

I paid 150 dollars for each of my bridesmaids dresses.  They were 170 and they chose them.  I will probably give them extras in their OOT's like beach towels, etc.  I calculated it out, and with that help, they are sepnding the same amount on me as I did for their weddings, and they are getting a vacation out of it.  I am also not doing a shower and have asked them to not get me a gift, to balance it out.

Hope this helps!  what a great thread!

#269 Peach

• 1,293 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:59 AM

Good thread! We haven't picked them out, but I am only looking at ones $75 or lower (hopefully below $40), so I will be paying. I only have 2 - my little sister and a friend from college. My little sister is graduating from high school that same year, and I was a BM in my friend's wedding, who made/paid for everything for us, so I am okay doing the same. I will also be getting them some small gifts, which I have been/ will be collecting throughout the whole engagement (coconut travel size body lotion, beach bag, small clutch, jewelery, maybe a pashmina?). I also want to get them each a flask and maybe pay for a manicure too? Not sure about that yet. With my sister just graduating, and my friend about to start a family, I want to help out as much as I can. They are the only place I am really splurging on the whole wedding! (And that being said, not really splurging that much - everything is knock-off and on sale! Super inexpensive, but doesn't look that way... another benefit of a long engagement... I have time to keep my eyes open for deals for a long time!)

#270 vav11238

• 166 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:14 AM

Wow, this had never occurred to me before. Being from the states, I have always paid for my dresses and never wore any of them ever again. All you ask as a bridesmaid is that it isn't expensive. Anything $150 or less is totally within the ballpark because, and lets be honest, women are going to buy a dress to wear to the wedding anyway. 

But when I see it from the point that they are flying to another country for this event, it seems a bit much to have them also pay for the dresses. I've had my eye on the convertible dress but at $130, I'm thinking a David's bridal dress may be far cheaper and just as good. 

Must think about this one. Because I simply don't have the cash to pay for the dresses. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users