Photo

Whose ring is it anyway?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#11 jk1101

jk1101
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:08 PM

I agree with Jess. If I call off the engagement, he gets the ring back. If he calls it off, I keep it.

#12 Royal_lady10

Royal_lady10
    • 247 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:28 PM

In my case, I would give the ring back.. its a family heirloom from the late 1800 early 1900s, that was passed down.. So I know I would feel so bad/wrong if I kept it..as much as I love it..

#13 ~*Lisa*~

~*Lisa*~
      • 2,287 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:36 PM

I was previously engaged (Yikes!!) and I gave the ass the f'ing ring back! lol In retrospect, I should have kept it and hocked it! Oh well! :)

#14 jk1101

jk1101
        • 2,582 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:52 PM

Haha Lisaloo - when you put that I remembered, when I was previously married I was the one that left and I kept the ring. that's when I found out it was worth NOTHING...I sold that and every other piece of jewelry I got from him and it totaled about $1400. The diamond was totally flawed with a big crack...I had no idea. Lesson learned!

#15 tylersgirl

tylersgirl
          • 1,681 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:18 PM

Jess- I do agree with you there

Lisa-Yes, you should have...especially if he was an ass

Michele-that is crazy!

#16 Jamaica0619

Jamaica0619
            • 475 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:39 PM

My FI actually was engaged before...and it was called off (obviously). This was before I even met him. His ex actually really wanted to keep the ring and paid him some money towards it. However, she never paid him the rest of the money. So, early in our relationship he actually got in touch with a lawyer to try to sort out the issue. He had tried to deal with her directly, but she ignored him for months. Based on communications between his lawyer and his ex...we found out that the ring should be given back to the guy unless it is the a heirloom ring from the bride's family or if it was paid for by the bride (not likely). If the guy purchased the ring, it should be returned to him, unless he sells it to the girl. It is part of a contract to marry, and that contract has been broken. However, if the ring is given on a holiday (e.g., Christmas, Valentine's Day) or a birthday, it is construed as a gift and she can keep the ring.

After dealing with the issue with his ex, during which he did get the ring back and it is still sitting around the house becuase he has no idea what to do with it (nearly 14 years later), I knew he would never ask me to marry him near any holiday, which is exactly what he did. He asked me in September, which has no holidays or any meaning to us specifically.
              Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend. ~ Albert Camas

#17 ~*Lisa*~

~*Lisa*~
              • 2,287 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:10 PM

I know, but you're so pissed off at the time and just say here, I don't want this stupid thing! lol

Quote:
                Originally Posted by tylersgirl
                Jess- I do agree with you there

Lisa-Yes, you should have...especially if he was an ass

Michele-that is crazy!

#18 EDSROSA

EDSROSA
                • 510 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:46 PM

My FI gave me my ring on Christmas so I consider it a Christmas gift. Would I keep it? It depends how the relationship ends (not that I want it to end). If he did something that caused the ending I would keep it, if I no longer wanted to be in the relationship I would def give it back.
                  BTW in NY you do have to give the ring back. I am friends with a girl who had to give back the ring, court ordered.

#19 *Nadine*

*Nadine*
                  • 5,466 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:05 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Jess
                    I think it depends who calls it off...if the guy calls it off take it!...if the girl calls the wedding off, I think she should give the ring back
                    exactly what I was going to say! 100% agree

#20 courtney_b00

courtney_b00
                    • 417 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:37 PM

From all the divorces I've heard about, the women keeps her ring. Some pass it down to their daughters if they have any, or have it made into another piece of jewelery-such as a necklace. Others pawn it lol. I guess it is up to the couple, but as many others said, it was given as a gift, therefore it should be yours to keep.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users