Whose ring is it anyway?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

• 510 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:31 PM

So (jokingly) my FI and I always argue about who gets to keep the ring if things don't work out?!?!?!?

Not that I (we) are planning on it but just wondering what people think

#2 Royal_lady10

• 247 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:50 PM

EDSROSA if I am not mistaken, the guys get the ring back. It was given with the intent to marry, so if the wedding is off.. well so is the ring. But also, I guess it would ultimately boil down whether or not you plan on following a legal point of view or not.

#3 JOSIE

• 1,792 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:51 PM

I'd Keep Mine!!! I'm guessing I would not be getting back all the stuff I've bought him over the years

#4 frazali

• 245 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:22 PM

According to all of the judge shows I watch (I know, pathetic...) the ring was given as a gift so she gets to keep it. Although, the judge usually tries to shame the woman into giving it back - I'd imagine it never works.

#5 tylersgirl

• 1,681 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:24 PM

Yeah, I think of it as a gift, so I think the woman should get to keep it.

#6 SgtPepperette

• 1,225 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:39 PM

It was given to me on my birthday, so I defintely get to keep it! LOL

#7 big3n09

• 616 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:56 PM

Well like Royal lady10 said the wedding ring is given with the contingency of marriage and is worn as a symbolism, so it does seem like you should give it back if the wedding/marriage is over. But IMHO I would not give it back but I would be courteous enough to stop wearing it, LOL. I probably would do something else with it, I mean it shouldn't go to waste just because the relationship did.
                4/1/11 in St. Kitts at the Marriott I married my best-friend!!!

#8 Inked1

• 161 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:56 PM

I would feel wrong keeping it. I think if an engagement breaks up the ring should go back, unless it was an heirloom from the bride's family, then obviously she has every right to keep it. I mean, sure it was a gift, but one that came with "will you marry me?" is very different from a birthday or holiday gift.

#9 jax_the_beach_bride

• 475 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:18 AM

DEFINITELY the ladies... only because it was given as a gift AND .. what if he decides not to go through with it.. do u think id give the ring back... UM NO!.. lol.. and also.. what would he do with it anyway? pawn it? ... i know i wouldnt wear it anymore .. but i wouldnt sell it either.. O man.. what a funny topic

Mr. & Mrs. Reid
                    All my life, I prayed for someone like you... and I thank God that I finally found you!

#10 Jess

• 4,455 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:53 AM

I think it depends who calls it off...if the guy calls it off take it!...if the girl calls the wedding off, I think she should give the ring back

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users