Jump to content

Photo

Have you done your taxes yet?!


  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#11 Jenn3878

Jenn3878
  • Sr. Member
  • 5,681 posts

    Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:01 PM

    I did my own taxes this year and was so proud of myself until I realized I put an extra # in my bank account number for direct deposit and they cannot re-route it so I won't be getting my money for a little while now What a DORK!!

    #12 JaimeLynne

    JaimeLynne
    • VIP Member
    • 4,791 posts

      Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:10 PM

      I've never filed my taxes before on my own. My Dad has normally hired an accountant for us, but it usually ends up costing me and I never understand why. So this year I'm trying to get help from ppl who understand it and do them myself.

      ~ Jaime & Martin ~
      "Rain or Swine! 2-0-0-9"

      We had 24 people attend our wedding in Las Caletas, Mexico on May 24th, 2009!

      We all stayed at The Marriott in P.V., and Honeymooned at The Royal Plantation in Ochos Rios, Jamaica!


      #13 Mrs. Martin

      Mrs. Martin
      • Member
      • 514 posts

        Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:33 PM

        Hubby just called....we don't owe, woohoo !!! We're not getting back much, but that's fine by me!!! Yay!

        #14 Banana11

        Banana11
        • VIP Member
        • 8,841 posts

          Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:42 PM

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Mrs. Martin
          Hubby just called....we don't owe, woohoo !!! We're not getting back much, but that's fine by me!!! Yay!
          Wonderful news!!!

          #15 Cattie

          Cattie
          • Member
          • 594 posts

            Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:55 PM

            Incase you didn't know.

            You can go directly to the IRS website and do your federal taxes using all those nice programs for free if you make less then $56K. Or if you make more, I know I did my FIL's and it was $20. They give you a whole list of sites you can go to like Turbotax, ect. Just make sure you don't do the state through that site.

            In NJ you can go directly to there site and do it for free no matter how much you make.

            I've done ours like this for the past few years. Now next year filing joint is going to be interesting, since combined we make more then $56K! I think I may end up having a friend who used to do taxes do them for me!

            #16 Mrs. Martin

            Mrs. Martin
            • Member
            • 514 posts

              Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:15 PM

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Cattie
              Incase you didn't know.

              You can go directly to the IRS website and do your federal taxes using all those nice programs for free if you make less then $56K. Or if you make more, I know I did my FIL's and it was $20. They give you a whole list of sites you can go to like Turbotax, ect. Just make sure you don't do the state through that site.

              In NJ you can go directly to there site and do it for free no matter how much you make.

              I've done ours like this for the past few years. Now next year filing joint is going to be interesting, since combined we make more then $56K! I think I may end up having a friend who used to do taxes do them for me!

              I use to do mine on Turbotax all the time when I was a "single". The site is super easy to use and CHEAP! Hubby has a lot of complicated stuff to write off, so we just prefer to have the accountant do the taxes. Hubby and I didn't know exactly how much the accountant was going to charge us and he said we were charged $245! That's crazy; I don't think we'll be going back to her. So, if you can do your taxes online on your own, it's worth it!

              Cali residents- Did you get your state refund? We were told we weren't going to get it any time soon because of the state's $$ crisis.

              #17 katrina

              katrina

                VIP Member

              • VIP Member
              • 4,328 posts

                Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:26 PM

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Mrs. Martin
                I use to do mine on Turbotax all the time when I was a "single". The site is super easy to use and CHEAP! Hubby has a lot of complicated stuff to write off, so we just prefer to have the accountant do the taxes. Hubby and I didn't know exactly how much the accountant was going to charge us and he said we were charged $245! That's crazy; I don't think we'll be going back to her. So, if you can do your taxes online on your own, it's worth it!
                that's how much ours were also, so unfortunately, i think that's pretty standard unless you know someone.

                #18 barefootbeachbride

                barefootbeachbride
                • Newbie
                • 89 posts

                  Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:48 PM

                  yuck! i still need to do mine! I hope I get a refund, that would come in handy with all the wedding planning!

                  #19 Sapphire723

                  Sapphire723
                  • Member
                  • 888 posts

                    Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:58 PM

                    I did mine myself and got lots of $$ back! John also got some back. The money helped pay off my car and pay for our site visit to GBPC. I did them as soon as possible cuz I knew I was getting money back.

                    Like someone mentioned, you can e-file for free with some pretty easy to understand tax software from the IRS website. Last year I made slightly too much, but they upped the minimum this year so I'm just under. Or, if you make below around $35k, the IRS has volunteers (like me!) who will do your taxes for you for free.

                    #20 Jamaica0619

                    Jamaica0619
                    • Jr. Member
                    • 475 posts

                      Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:16 PM

                      Well, we got our taxes back tonight and we are getting a nice refund! It will help with all the wedding stuff. Except I used an accountant since we sold/bought a home. What a waste - $275 each (since we are still filing single - get married this year). I should have done them myself! I have done mine every year, and I should have stuck with that plan.
                      Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend. ~ Albert Camas




                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users