cocktail party...bad or good?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 inunez

• 172 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:03 PM

my fiancee and i are thinking about having a cocktail party as the wedding celebration at the resort we are staying at. i'm just not sure if it's appropiate. especially since i feel like we are dragging people to different country for our day. i'm afraid that people'll expect to have a sit down dinner and be disappointed.

if we do have a cocktail party it would be held at the resort disco and we would have it all to our selves.

cost wise...i think it will def help us. if we decide to go with this..how should we forewarn our guests of what to expect.

#2 boven

• 193 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:16 PM

Cost can easily get out of hand so I understand your concern. Have you selected an All Inclusive (AI) resort for your ceremony and stay? If so, then your guests will be able to eat before and after your ceremony and cocktail party.

#3 *Heather*

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 9,532 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:34 PM

We're doing a cocktail party at an off-site venue, and all of our guests are REALLY excited about it! It allows for a more relaxed environment - plus your guests will likely be stuffing their faces at the AI all week anyway! I think it will be more fun this way and it will also save some costs :)

#4 Gail

• 358 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:41 PM

If an AI like they said they will eat before or after. A lot of brides just do cocltail hr
          Pro wedding pic slide show

#5 Jess

• 4,455 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:41 PM

yup - I love this idea too!

#6 KEE LAC

KEE LAC
            • 251 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:48 PM

i think it is a great idea. I am thinking about having a cocktail welcome party.
              Soon TO be MRS. Clark:[SIGPIC]

#7 samanthag

• 896 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:50 PM

WoW, I never really thought of that...
                My resort requires a minimum cost consumption so that's something we couldn't do.
                Good idea though.

#8 meghanmbm

• 203 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:12 PM

I like the idea of a welcome cocktail party, but people are spending a lot to be at your wedding. IMHO you should deed them dinner. Call me old fashion
                  Live every day like the next will never come.

#9 Jacilynda

• 2,777 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:42 PM

What time is your wedding? If you are having a morning or early afternoon wedding I think it is just fine.

We are having an evening wedding so we are doing a cocktail hour while we get photos done and then a sit down dinner.

#10 lolkitteh

• 167 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:08 PM

I think time of day plays a role here. If you do a cocktail party during dinner hours, IMHO, you should feed the guests dinner - it'll be expected. Otherwise, I'd schedule it either early or late, and clearly indicate that it is "cocktail reception" to set expectations that guest are on their own for dinner.

Another option is have a morning wedding and a lunch reception - a lunch will most certainly be cheaper than dinner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users