Angel & Sy

Iberostar Rose Hall Brides - Post all info/questions here!

Starrysim~ Are you happy with how they turned out even though they weren't taken by Marcia? Anything you would have done differently as far as the photography? I have signed with Marcia so just curious.

Thanks

Jenni

I used Marcia Roberts and her assistant did most of the picture taking as well. There were a few times that she grabbed the camera because there was something that she wanted to catch, but it did seem like she was training him. I thought the pictures still came out great and I'm still happy about picking her over using Digipix.

One thing you need to be prepared for with Marcia is that she wants to be paid promptly. She actually pulled me aside during the reception to make calls to another assistant to make plans for a bank transfer because I didn't have enough cash on me. She then emailed me daily until she got the money.

I don't want to scare anyone because she was really nice, but I just every one to have their money ready.

Her assistant also climbed up the lifeguard stand to do a group shot and we went out to the pier at the Beach and took a bunch of pictures. Marcia also chased down some guy who was peddling some type of cart with a Jamaican flag and talked him in to letting us use it for some photos.

I posted a link in an earlier post, but I can resend the pictures if someone would like to see them.

Paula

Yes I would love to see them. Thank you for this information

Originally Posted by pmwoodard1978 View Post

I used Marcia Roberts and her assistant did most of the picture taking as well. There were a few times that she grabbed the camera because there was something that she wanted to catch, but it did seem like she was training him. I thought the pictures still came out great and I'm still happy about picking her over using Digipix.

One thing you need to be prepared for with Marcia is that she wants to be paid promptly. She actually pulled me aside during the reception to make calls to another assistant to make plans for a bank transfer because I didn't have enough cash on me. She then emailed me daily until she got the money.

I don't want to scare anyone because she was really nice, but I just every one to have their money ready.

Her assistant also climbed up the lifeguard stand to do a group shot and we went out to the pier at the Beach and took a bunch of pictures. Marcia also chased down some guy who was peddling some type of cart with a Jamaican flag and talked him in to letting us use it for some photos.

I posted a link in an earlier post, but I can resend the pictures if someone would like to see them.

Paula

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamaica2012 View Post

Starrysim~ Are you happy with how they turned out even though they weren't taken by Marcia? Anything you would have done differently as far as the photography? I have signed with Marcia so just curious.

Thanks

Jenni

I guess overall I'm satisfied because we did get lots of pictures that I do love.  However, some things I was disappointed with:

- the lighting was really bad in a lot of pictures, like harsh shadows obscuring people's faces. I think they needed one of those big pro flashes with the umbrella and stuff, but I can see how that wouldn't be very portable all over the resort and the beach. Not sure if other photographers do a better job with the lighting.

- they weren't very responsive to our ideas for locations to take pics, and they seemed rushed near the end. Even though it was supposed to be unlimited time, and we still wanted to take pics by the lifeguard towers and stuff, they just called it quits.

- they weren't always useful for posing suggestions.  A lot of the times they just told us to do something.  Some of their pose suggestions turned out really bad (and I could tell ahead of time that they would be).  Also, way too many shots from below - I absolutely hate that perspective - you know, double chins, up the nose, etc.  I didn't get it.  Unfortunately they also chose one of the worst pics for the front of our DVD case.  Along the same lines, they missed some great shots.

- some pics provided in B&W only, no colour version on the CD.  I emailed to ask for originals of a few of these, but nothing yet.

That said, I don't want to discourage anyone from working with them.  They were on time, professional and curteous, and we got our pictures and video in less than a month.  For being the most reasonably-priced Jamaican photographers, I think the value is there.  There are lots of very good pics, as you can tell from my post a few pages back.

Hey QTSkee 78!  So happy to hear you're marrying at the Grand and you're not that far from me (in DC).  I've seen a few brides from the DMV and am absolutely ecstatic about returning to the Grand this May.  let me know how the site visit goes! Angellie and Janielle are great.

2012 rates are twice those for 2011?!  Say it isn't so!  I just emailed the coordinators for the updated rates but I've certainly been working from the figures I received when I booked this June for my May 2012 ceremony.

Originally Posted by Leah22 View Post

Iriegirl,

Where did you end up having you ceremony and reception?  Did you work with anyone in Jamaica to plan it?  I am considering hosting my reception (and maybe ceremony) off property since I just received the 2012 rates for the Grand (and they're almost double the 2011 rates).

After hearing that they doubled also, i emailed Silvia at the Beach.. as i am getting married in february and budgeted based on the prices i was given.. she wrote back and advised that there have not yet been any changes to the wedding package prices at the Beach... I can't speak for the other resorts but so far.. the Beach prices are the same!! *whew* crossing my fingers it stays as such!

Originally Posted by MissHoneyBee View Post

2012 rates are twice those for 2011?!  Say it isn't so!  I just emailed the coordinators for the updated rates but I've certainly been working from the figures I received when I booked this June for my May 2012 ceremony.

Originally Posted by Leah22 View Post

Iriegirl,

Where did you end up having you ceremony and reception?  Did you work with anyone in Jamaica to plan it?  I am considering hosting my reception (and maybe ceremony) off property since I just received the 2012 rates for the Grand (and they're almost double the 2011 rates).