Failed blood tests, Panama wedding

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Rob&Sue

Rob&Sue
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:34 PM

Hello all.

We were wondering if anyone has heard of anyone failing the blood tests or medical exam and had their wedding canceled in Panama. We'll be getting married at the Royal DeCameron beach and golf resort In January 2009.

We've heard they test for fertility and ability to have children, STD's, HIV. We know we definitely don't have an STD but are worried about something stupid ruining our day. We've got 30 family and friends coming and are very nervous Murphy's law will bite us in the rear.

We hope we don't have to revert to a symbolic wedding. We've put so much work into getting all the paperwork in order. But for peace of mind we might have to. I'm just not keen on a cheese ball ceremony in front of a Justice of the peace. As well we'd have to keep this secret from family and friends so we don't ruin the experience for them.

Any information would be of great help. I have our coordinator working on this too.

Thanks so much

Rob & Sue

Rob & Susannah 36 people booked!!http://tickers.Ticke....7881/event.png

#2 ~*Kathy*~

~*Kathy*~
    • 5,649 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:46 PM

Hi there,

I spoke to my TA a few months ago who told me she had heard of a couple (clients of hers) who were having a civil ceremony in Mexico and one of them failed the blood test. She said that although they were not allowed to carry out the civil ceremony, they were able to replace it with the symbolic ceremony. I hope this helps!!

#3 YoursTruly

YoursTruly
      • 1,097 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:04 PM

I would say you guys will be fine if you both have had recent physicals and complete blood tests. That should have given you an indication of where you are. If you know you don't have an STD or HIV, etc, no worries. Don't add stress to the mix. You will be fine!!

#4 Mrs D To Be!

Mrs D To Be!
        • 1,634 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:01 PM

We've heard they test for fertility and ability to have children

No way! I thought they only checked to see if you were pregnant? Is it deeper than that?!

#5 Banana11

Banana11
          • VIP Member
          • 8,841 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:46 PM

Can you even check fertility with a blood test?

#6 *Lo*

*Lo*
            • 2,993 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:49 PM

I think you can check hormone levels through a blood test which *could* indicate an issue with fertility, however there are many other tests they do to fully come to a conclusion.

#7 Virg

Virg
              • 684 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:50 PM

I highly doubt they can detect HIV that fast!
                Don't you have to wait 4 weeks for your results in the USA and Canada?

I am pretty sure it is just syphillis
                Happily Ever After: June 1, 2006
                Made it legal : June 30, 2009

http://i37.photobuck....h_IMG_8136.jpg

#8 Mrs D To Be!

Mrs D To Be!
                • 1,634 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:07 PM

so what would stop them from marrying a couple? if the girl is pregnant? but what if one of them is infertile? or am i picking up this thread wrong?!

#9 katrina

katrina

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                  • 4,328 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:42 PM

this is from the us embassy in panama:

Panama Information
                    Marriage in Panama

1. Fill out the application for a license to enter into marriage before the competent court for the jurisdiction where at least one of the parties live.
                    2. Health Certificate, including: a. General Medical Exam, b. Lab Tests: Hemoglobin Electrophoresis, Hematic Biometry, VDRL, Urinalysis. These documents must be issued within the last 15 days prior to the ceremony by a registered physician.
                    3. Birth Certificate
                    4. If the parties have not been married previously, a certificate (Certificado de Solteria) to that effect must be presented.
                    5. Two witnesses of legal age, not related to any of the parties (i.e. within the fourth grade of consanguinity or second degree of kinship or by adoption). Which means the following cannot be a witness: brother/sister, cousin, uncle/aunt, nephew/niece, son/daughter-in-law, father/mother- in-law or brother sister-in-law-of the couple to be married.
                    6. "Cedula" or passport with corresponding visa.

i don't know what those tests mean, but that is what they test for. and worst case scenario, the wedding is done symbolic and you are legally married at home. i know that's not what you want, but we had a symbolic (not because of med reasons) and not a single guest knew the difference.

#10 KLO

KLO
                    • 1,084 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:01 PM

I used to work for our local health department and we conducted STD tests on a daily basis. All STD results have a 24 hour turn around...not 4 weeks. Fertility can not be determined through a blood test only. If I'm not mistaken, the resorts strictly check for pregnancy and that only applies if the bride has been divorced for less than 1 yr. They will not perform the ceremony if that was the case, for what reasons, I'm not sure?? But like someone mentioned, if you've both had a recent physical and you know that neither of you currently have any STD'S, you have nothing to worry about =) I hope this helps...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users