beachbride08

Tip to those using ipods for reception music

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMrsLewis View Post
It doesn't matter where you get the music from (I actually rip my own from CDs and add them to my ipod) but you DEFINITELY have to go through itunes first, because ipods don't play mp3 files, they play mp4 files, so they have to be encoded through itunes first into the mp4 format. Sounds complicated, but it's not. Just take any songs already on your computer, load them into your itunes library, then transfer from the library to your ipod :)

Hope that helps!
can you also do this in reverse, my son wants songs from my i tunes and I don't know to convert back to mp3 format

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmg970 View Post
can you also do this in reverse, my son wants songs from my i tunes and I don't know to convert back to mp3 format
You definitely can, but I'm not sure if it can be done through itunes or not... You would need an encoder to do it, because it needs to be re-encoded into an mp3 format... I use Lame encoder to change files from .wav to .mp3, but that's a little more complicated lol Give me a minute to go and open itunes on my laptop and I'll try it out :)

Okay, Apple officially sucks (Well, not really, they're just really mean). It can be done, but it's a bit complicated. You can burn the files to a CD, then when you import it into itunes you can choose to import them as an mp3 file, OR you can use a converter/encoder. I use Lame encoder as part of a ripping pack I use to convert CDs (.wav files) to high quality .mp3 files, and it would convert mp4 or AAC (file formats used for itunes) to .mp3 easily, but it takes a bit of computer savvy. I did a quick online search and I did find this: Convert iTunes to MP3 - iTunes converter, iTunes to MP3 BUT... I don't know ANYTHING about this software. It may be malicious, it may be completely harmless, I have no idea. But something LIKE this is your best bet. If you have some computer nerd friends, they can definitely help you find a viable solution, but unfortunately just using itunes won't work. Apple wants you to keep the file in its proprietary format, and won't allow any conversions smile27.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMrsLewis View Post
Okay, Apple officially sucks (Well, not really, they're just really mean). It can be done, but it's a bit complicated. You can burn the files to a CD, then when you import it into itunes you can choose to import them as an mp3 file, OR you can use a converter/encoder. I use Lame encoder as part of a ripping pack I use to convert CDs (.wav files) to high quality .mp3 files, and it would convert mp4 or AAC (file formats used for itunes) to .mp3 easily, but it takes a bit of computer savvy. I did a quick online search and I did find this: Convert iTunes to MP3 - iTunes converter, iTunes to MP3 BUT... I don't know ANYTHING about this software. It may be malicious, it may be completely harmless, I have no idea. But something LIKE this is your best bet. If you have some computer nerd friends, they can definitely help you find a viable solution, but unfortunately just using itunes won't work. Apple wants you to keep the file in its proprietary format, and won't allow any conversions smile27.gif
Actually, you can convert mp4 to mp3 quite easily from iTunes. You need to select "mp3" as the default import format of the songs. Then, you right click on the songs you want to convert and click the option "convert to mp3".

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbride08 View Post
You can edit the start and stop times of each song in itunes, but to do the mixing part where the end of one song overlaps a little with the beginning of the next song needs to be done in Garage Band. However, if you don't have a Mac and just edit the start and stop times of the songs there won't be a big gap between the songs if you just play it straight from your playlist like there would be if you didn't edit them. Some songs had a few seconds of dead air so playing it in a reception type setting where people are dancing it would be really noticeable.
Hey Beachbride08 I hope you're still around !! How do you edit the start and stop times of songs in iTunes ?

Thanks !

Ayita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayita View Post
Hey Beachbride08 I hope you're still around !! How do you edit the start and stop times of songs in iTunes ?

Thanks !

Ayita
Go to the song you want to edit and play it first to write down the exact time you want to start and/or stop. Then go to "Get Info" and "Options" and you will see the start and stop times. The start is usually at zero but when you play it you may notice a delay or a trail off at the end with dead air. We eliminated all that when we created our playlists so there ends up being no space in between the songs.

Quote:
Go to the song you want to edit and play it first to write down the exact time you want to start and/or stop. Then go to "Get Info" and "Options" and you will see the start and stop times. The start is usually at zero but when you play it you may notice a delay or a trail off at the end with dead air. We eliminated all that when we created our playlists so there ends up being no space in between the songs.
Thanks ! I'll give it a try ! Very useful wink.gif

oh my gosh I'm really dreading doing this! Thanks for all the advice girls, hopefully it will make it much easier for me, since I probably won't do it until I'm on the plane!

Quote:
Thank you beachbride08!!!! You are a lifesaver.. I have been trying to figure out how to do this. Between GarageBand and ITunes, I have been driving myself nuts. Who knew it was so simple!

Quote:
OMG, this was a life saver! I was stressed about this!!! Now my song is the perfect length!!!! YES!!!! WOO HOO!smile29.gif Thanks Michelle!